TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
zena

Tivo HD 3, motherboard replacement

I have a spare tivo hd3 i bought dirt cheap for parts. If I replace the motherboard with the other one will it register on my lifetime service as a different tivo?
zena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

Yes. It will have a different Tivo service number. You can see about transferring the lifetime service to the new unit since it will be seen as a different Tivo by HQ. I assume that Tivo still allows a one-time service transfer, but you may need to check to be sure.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zena View Post
I have a spare tivo hd3 i bought dirt cheap for parts. If I replace the motherboard with the other one will it register on my lifetime service as a different tivo?
Each motherboard has it's own unique TiVo Service Number.

Beginning with the S3 HD, you could no longer move the chip with the TSN to another of the same model motherboard.

At least not without thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

Probably best to keep the motherboard in the chassis it came in, since there's a sticker on the back that lists that number.

Your lifetime sub is tied to the TSN in TiVo's database.

When the TiVo connects to the TiVo, Inc. servers, it reports its TSN and the server looks it up and says "you have lifetime and you're valid until 'a date about a month and a few days in the future' ".

These will show up in the System Information screen where it says "account status"

You may be able to get TiVo to move your lifetime sub from the present TSN to the TSN of your spare HD, but not for free. I've seen the amount $199 mentioned in connection with that before, but have no idea if that's currently correct.

You can call or go through online support chat to give TiVo the TSN of that spare HD and get them to tell you the current account status of it.

Did you buy it from someone who just bought a Premiere?

If so, they may be eligible to get a lifetime sub on it for $99.

(they'll need to avoid mentioning having already sold it, but once the deal is done they're free to sell it)

It'll have to be done in their name, but the sub stays with the motherboard and it's TSN, not whoever happens to be the owner at any particular time

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by zena View Post
No. Try replacing the power supply and hard drive from the spare tivo to the lifetime tivo.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote