TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
zena

tivo series 3hd has no video

We read the posts and went with suggestions. So we replaced the power supply ~ that wasn't the problem. The fan worked, so that wasn't the problem. We finally figured out it was the HDMI port. How can we replace that? Do we have to un-soder it from another motherboard and re-soder it to ours? Can that be done without damaging the m/board?
zena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
atmuscarella

No idea if fixing a dead HDMI port is a do it your self project or not. You could contact Weaknees and see if they can help or you could just take the easy way out and use the component output which is HD, that is what I would do and then upgrade the next time TiVo gives you a good Offer.

Good Luck
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zena View Post
We read the posts and went with suggestions. So we replaced the power supply ~ that wasn't the problem. The fan worked, so that wasn't the problem. We finally figured out it was the HDMI port. How can we replace that? Do we have to un-soder it from another motherboard and re-soder it to ours? Can that be done without damaging the m/board?
It may not be the actual jack that can be accessed from outside the chassis, but the circuitry connected to it, and unfortunately a lack of available service information makes TiVo motherboard repair an unlikely prospect.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
wtkflhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjose View Post
How do we replace the HDMI port?
Since you are trying so hard to save the S3, I assume you have lifetime service on it. I think I would contact TIVO and see if they will swap it out for you. They used to do this for about $75. They would move the lifetime to the new box and you would return the old one. That's what I would try. If you try to change the mother board, you would lose the lifetime anyway.

Good luck.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote