TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Urahoho

Which Tivo for coaching? help please.

Hi,

I have an option of getting a Tivo series 1 HDR112 unopened and not activated for $20 or a Tivo series 2 with a life time subscription for $40.

I want to use for coaching, just to setup a 30 sec delay coming from an JVC Everio HD camcorder to a TV. I know the stream will not be in HD and that is fine.

Which one do you recommend I get for the best setup? I don't have any experience in doing this and was hoping someone on the forums can help. Since I have heard so much about it.

Thanks!
Urahoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Either one will work for this purpose. Configure it for cable or satellite with a cable box and the composite input from the camcorder (if it has one - if not, this isn't going to work for you.)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
True Colors

As long as the series 2 is in good condition then you should go with it.

Easy decision.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urahoho View Post
Hi,

I have an option of getting a Tivo series 1 HDR112 unopened and not activated for $20 or a Tivo series 2 with a life time subscription for $40.

I want to use for coaching, just to setup a 30 sec delay coming from an JVC Everio HD camcorder to a TV. I know the stream will not be in HD and that is fine.

Which one do you recommend I get for the best setup? I don't have any experience in doing this and was hoping someone on the forums can help. Since I have heard so much about it.

Thanks!
Get the S2.

When you go through Guided Setup, have your video source connected to the line inputs and have it working, feeding video.

Then lie and say you've got satellite, probably DirecTV would be best.

That'll get you a Channel 1.

When you want to record from your video source, tune the TiVo to Ch 1.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Get the S2.

When you go through Guided Setup, have your video source connected to the line inputs and have it working, feeding video.

Then lie and say you've got satellite, probably DirecTV would be best.

That'll get you a Channel 1.

When you want to record from your video source, tune the TiVo to Ch 1.
The channel 1 thing isn't accurate.
Originally, when you had an rf cable connected to the Tivo, you could plug something into the composite input and use channel 1 to view/record from that source. I believe Tivo removed that ability a long time ago. Even if they haven't removed it, channel number is irrelevant when you set up the Tivo to use the composite input.
When you use the composite input for your cable/satellite (whichever you choose to say you have), it doesn't matter what channel the Tivo thinks it's on because you aren't using the Tivo's tuners.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urahoho View Post
Hi,

Whichever you choose, keep in mind that you may have to have a phone line (S1 or S2) or a USB network adapter (S2) to get through the guided setup.
If the Tivo was setup to use the composite input for cable/sat. then you won't need to go through guided setup for your intended purpose.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The channel 1 thing isn't accurate.
Originally, when you had an rf cable connected to the Tivo, you could plug something into the composite input and use channel 1 to view/record from that source. I believe Tivo removed that ability a long time ago. Even if they haven't removed it, channel number is irrelevant when you set up the Tivo to use the composite input.
When you use the composite input for your cable/satellite (whichever you choose to say you have), it doesn't matter what channel the Tivo thinks it's on because you aren't using the Tivo's tuners.
I think perhaps the S1s would switch to line in if you tuned channel 1 or channel 0.

But nothing newer.

I have an S2 setup exactly the way I described.

(I use it to record S-video and audio from a PC)

If you want it to switch from the tuner's output to the line inputs, it has to think there's something there that it is programmed to deal with, like a satellite receiver or cable box.

If you tell it cable box during GS, then it won't set up for analog cable on the tuner, so the satellite lie lets you use both.

You can get it to use the line ins by telling it to switch to any satellite channel number once you've fooled it into thinking you've got satellite, but using Ch. 1 just makes it easier, in my opinion.

The only problem is you have to go in and uncheck all the other sat chans to keep from drowning in program info, and you're always getting messages about channel adds and deletions.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I think perhaps the S1s would switch to line in if you tuned channel 1 or channel 0.

But nothing newer.

I have an S2 setup exactly the way I described.

(I use it to record S-video and audio from a PC)
That's great. Good for you. The OP doesn't need your setup.

Quote:
If you want it to switch from the tuner's output to the line inputs, it has to think there's something there that it is programmed to deal with, like a satellite receiver or cable box.
That's what I said minus the bit about switching from the tuner, because the OP doesn't need the Tivo's tuner.

Quote:
If you tell it cable box during GS, then it won't set up for analog cable on the tuner, so the satellite lie lets you use both.
The OP doesn't need cable, he's only using the Tivo for time delay from a live camera feed.

Quote:
You can get it to use the line ins by telling it to switch to any satellite channel number once you've fooled it into thinking you've got satellite, but using Ch. 1 just makes it easier, in my opinion.
If it thinks it's only source of input is from the composite connection, channel number is irrelevant because whatever channel the Tivo thinks it is on, the signal is always the signal from the camera.

Quote:
The only problem is you have to go in and uncheck all the other sat chans to keep from drowning in program info, and you're always getting messages about channel adds and deletions.
Not when you're only using it the way the OP intends to use it where it won't need to ever connect for guide data or to even set the clock.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Urahoho

ok, so it sounds like I am getting the s2 with a life time subscription. Thanks for your inputs. very helpful. I may be back if I have trouble with it lol.
Urahoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
ggieseke

If you happen to get the S2 dual tuner (TCD649xxx) it has an ethernet port built-in.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
That's great. Good for you. The OP doesn't need your setup.

That's what I said minus the bit about switching from the tuner, because the OP doesn't need the Tivo's tuner.

The OP doesn't need cable, he's only using the Tivo for time delay from a live camera feed.

If it thinks it's only source of input is from the composite connection, channel number is irrelevant because whatever channel the Tivo thinks it is on, the signal is always the signal from the camera.

Not when you're only using it the way the OP intends to use it where it won't need to ever connect for guide data or to even set the clock.
He or she did not unequivocably state that they would never ever under any circumstances, even upon pain of death, use it with analog cable.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
He or she did not unequivocably state that they would never ever under any circumstances, even upon pain of death, use it with analog cable.
Even your rants lack accuracy.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Even your rants lack accuracy.
I find that rants are where you should expect the least accuracy, although I don't think unitron was ranting.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote