TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
jhilla

Arrow Tivo without CableCard?

So if the FCC has their way then CableCards will be terminated or powered off? When is this suppose to occur, and how do we return to our roots of just a Coax connection of 100 and below. Most of the signals are switching to Switched Digital and more analog will follow very soon. So this leaves the average TiVo with in a sense a Pandora's Box. We can embrace the digital needs and use Ondemand as primary source with OTA or giveup on our devices and plug our new HDMI machines into LCD's, HD, or 3DTV/Plasma things. Whichever you choose the counter is ticking down, and what will happen with Tivo will contracts expire because the need to use the service has been reduced?

what's your take and what will you do?

For us, we are already primarily using HuluPlus, Youtube, and Plex. Regardless of this decision January 2014 we are pulling the plug on our cable because we just don't use it as much as before. Besides the networks continue to cancel and pull shows there really is no need to watch broadcast for us. So why the delay for us, we are in legal binding contract with our apartment. Hey you can add service to increase your rent that's called an addendum but nope your damned if your try to decrease your rent.. So this January we will remove that add-on promptly. It's stupid really $75 for cable, 2.95 for the CableCard for Tivo / RR / Phone separately from Brighthouse. It really sucked we were unable to get a bundle bill with the cable.. LONG STORY. Don't want to go there.

Last edited by jhilla : 07-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
So if the FCC has their way then CableCards will be terminated or powered off?
No. That would be the cable companies having their way, not the FCC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Considering that the Nine top U.S. Cable operators have deployed roughly 30-40 million operator-supplied set-top boxes with CableCards, I would say it is very unlikely that all of those legacy boxes would be replaced in the next 5-10 years.

As long as the majority of operator supplied STBs are using a CableCARD, retail will also be supported.

Cox is beginning to deploy a Premium 6-Tuner Whole Home Gateway (Cisco 9865HDC) which also relies on a CableCARD for QAM delivery. Eventually Cox intends to provide a mix of both QAM and IP delivery via the Cisco 9865HDC.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...lti-screen.pdf

So I see Cox still using and supporting Retail CableCARDs for the foreseeable future. Hell, Cox still has no plans to abandon analog simulcast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Cablecard is not going anywhere, for a long time. New Cablecard installs, however, could be stopped if companies like Charter get their way with their own security chips.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Cablecard is not going anywhere, for a long time. New Cablecard installs, however, could be stopped if companies like Charter get their way with their own security chips.
Exactly. The initial issue is not whether or not your existing CableCARD will continue to work, its acquiring a new CableCARD (because you moved, got another TiVo, or the CableCARD died).

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Series3Sub

Still, this is sad the MSO's seem willing to do anything to stamp out 3rd boxes, which today is TiVO and only TiVo (if I'm wrong on TiVo being the only 3rd party box out there for MSO's, please correct me). Very sad.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
gweempose

It seems to me like CableCARD was basically a failure. It certainly didn't accomplish what the government was hoping it would. I thought the whole point of them was so that people could choose their own hardware and not be forced to rent the STBs from the cable companies. When I first heard about CableCARDs, I envisioned a day where you could walk into Best Buy and choose from a half a dozen STBs. With the exception of TiVo, this never really materialized.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say they are a failure, but of course the MSOs have no interest what so ever to want to support CableCARDs. I wish there was a way the FCC could make the MSOs provide better support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It seems to me like CableCARD was basically a failure...

Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote