Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #31
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
What does this have to do with anything other than being more that falls under the category of not understanding the logic of KUID?
I've been away from TiVo-community for a few years; have folks finally figured out a correct explanation for KUID?

There have been lots of explanations of KUID over the years that I've seen, all of them, including mine, have had counter-examples presented for them (perhaps because they were attempting to explain a moving target - I'm pretty sure TiVo changed behavior early on.)

What is the logic of KUID now?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

All I've been saying is that KUID doesn't cause strange behaviors. It causes behaviors that users don't understand because they don't understand why KUID does what it does.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
lpwcomp

Quote:
What does this have to do with anything other than being more that falls under the category of not understanding the logic of KUID?
I understand the logic of KUID. While it does not actually allocate the space for future KUID recordings ahead of time, the scheduler does include that space in it's decisions.

I should have gone on to say that possibly there is a bug in the SP logic wherein when it attempts to do the initial scheduling and cannot schedule any recordings due to calculated available space problems, rather than giving you a choice to cancel some scheduled recordings (which its what it does when it cannot schedule some of the episodes), it simply does not create the SP.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #34
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I understand the logic of KUID.
It may also help to understand that the OP has already stated that KUID is not the problem.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
lpwcomp

Quote:
It may also help to understand that the OP has already stated that KUID is not the problem.
I was simply addressing the general issue of KUID space and scheduling and brainstorming the OP's issue. I've used KUID since I acquired my first TiVo and really haven't noticed any change in the logic. I'm mostly on your side in this argument. I've never seen KUID cause the problems that some people attribute to it.

Be that as it may, I fear the only explanation of what is happening to the OP is that his XL4 has a partially farbled SP database.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Yes, KUID is most definitely NOT the problem here, nor the HDCP handshake, nor the MoCA, nor the FiOS, nor the CIA, the NSA, the FBI.

I would be willing to bet that if this was a problem with one of my TiVo HD's and posted in the Series 3 forum, there would be a thread full of people blaming a capacitor on the power supply.

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions, I am going to try just leaving it unplugged for a little while over the weekend and starting it up again. I am at a loss over what to do here.

This is just plain weird.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
TiVo HD TCD652160 + WD 500GB Expander
Retired: Philips Series 1 HDR212 & TiVo Series 2 540080
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #37
moyekj

C&DE may be only drastic option left to *perhaps* fix it.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
C&DE may be only drastic option left to *perhaps* fix it.
Theoretically, a KS57 or 58 might help, but I've never heard of any instance of it actually working.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Be that as it may, I fear the only explanation of what is happening to the OP is that his XL4 has a partially farbled SP database.
That'd be my guess. If it my my TiVo that was screwed up like that I'd bite the bullet delete all the SPs and then try a 'Clear program information & To Do List'

Once that finished I'd try adding back the SPs. (Annoyingly this is summer any many of them may not be in the guide to add back)

But losing all my thumbs data and having to readd every SP is a significant pain. (But not quite as bad as a clear & delete everything where I'd lose my recordings)
Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #40
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
That'd be my guess. If it my my TiVo that was screwed up like that I'd bite the bullet delete all the SPs and then try a 'Clear program information & To Do List'

Once that finished I'd try adding back the SPs. (Annoyingly this is summer any many of them may not be in the guide to add back)

But losing all my thumbs data and having to readd every SP is a significant pain. (But not quite as bad as a clear & delete everything where I'd lose my recordings)
Since it is a Premiere, he should be able to use kmttg to backup and restore his SP's. Thumbs are a different matter of course (I personally don't care about thumb ratings since I have suggestions turned off. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the stuff I explicitly record).

Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Since it is a Premiere, he should be able to use kmttg to backup and restore his SP's. Thumbs are a different matter of course (I personally don't care about thumb ratings since I have suggestions turned off. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the stuff I explicitly record).
True, although I'd be a little concerned about restoring SPs when the suspected problem is a mangled SP database.

There's a risk it might be mangled due to some bad metadata that could survive export and restore (But I admit that's not an informed concern; I don't know what type of sanity checking the SP backup/restore process has).
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #42
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
True, although I'd be a little concerned about restoring SPs when the suspected problem is a mangled SP database.

There's a risk it might be mangled due to some bad metadata that could survive export and restore (But I admit that's not an informed concern; I don't know what type of sanity checking the SP backup/restore process has).
Anything is possible, but if it were me, I would try anything to maintain as much as I could. I would probably even try just backing up and restoring the SP's to see if that had any affect.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #43
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I'd also try a kmttg backup of SPs with a C&DE then an SP restore, should fix it if a reboot doesn't.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I'd also try a kmttg backup of SPs with a C&DE then an SP restore, should fix it if a reboot doesn't.
I'd definitely try wipe/restore the SPs and guide data before doing a full clear & delete everything.

(You might need to escalate to that; but I wouldn't blow away all my recordings as the 2nd thing to try -- it'd be a final resort.)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #45
sharkster

Well, that would be terrible! I have over 120 on one Premiere and about 90 on the other.

Even when I had my Series 2 Tivos I had way more than 29 SPs.

Strange. I hope they fix that.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote