TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Covert Affairs "Vamos" 7/16/2013

I swear, Annie Walker has to be the worst spy ever. She does the exact opposite of what she's told to do half the time. She ignores the chain of command when she feels like it. She conducts her own missions seemingly whenever she wants to. Apparently, this season she can take spur of the moment vacations too. She's the hero of the show so everything works out in the end but she should have been fired for insubordination and being an all around being a crappy employee long ago. And she got Augie shot!

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
BluesFools

I'm going to tail someone through the streets of Colombia. To make myself inconspicuous I'll leave my long blonde hair flowing, wear a bright orange shirt, and make sure I have a blind guy with a cane attached to me. I'll completely blend into the background.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFools View Post
I'm going to tail someone through the streets of Colombia. To make myself inconspicuous I'll leave my long blonde hair flowing, wear a bright orange shirt, and make sure I have a blind guy with a cane attached to me. I'll completely blend into the background.
This....so much this!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Terrible, just terrible. She needs to be stuck behind a desk, translating Echelon recordings.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
JoBeth66
Temp

Hubby couldn't even watch it because it was /so/ bad. it's like they're not even trying anymore! I can suspend a lot of disbelief, but this show is really stretching the limit.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

The ep started with her going up an elevator (with Augi back in the U.S) and then on the 32nd floor gets off with drawn gun on the Columbian station chief....then show jumps to 10 days earlier.

They never came back to that scene, her and Augie back to the U.S. What did I miss here??
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
hospadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo_60 View Post
The ep started with her going up an elevator (with Augi back in the U.S) and then on the 32nd floor gets off with drawn gun on the Columbian station chief....then show jumps to 10 days earlier.

They never came back to that scene, her and Augie back to the U.S. What did I miss here??
It was actually 10 *weeks* later. I presume this season will fill in the missing 10 weeks... and the final episode will conclude with the elevator scene.
hospadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

You're correct re the "weeks" however, it is earlier not later. (just watched the beginning again)

The season filling in that time now makes sense to me, however I think I'm bailing on this series.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Basically that opening was an in media res that will take 10 episodes to resolve. Geesh.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Agatha Mystery

However, we did get our requisite no shirt scene with Auggie.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
However, we did get our requisite no shirt scene with Auggie.
YOUR requisite no shirt scene....
Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
YOUR requisite no shirt scene....
They can't please everyone!
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
nyny523
Oy

As long as we continue to get shirtless Augie, I will be tuning in.

That is all.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I'm sorry, but everytime they say "Augie," I get flashbacks to Hanna-Barbera's Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy:

We just need to have Augie's dad appear on Covert Affairs and have the first words out of his mouth be "Augie, my son, my son."
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
As long as we continue to get shirtless Augie, I will be tuning in.

That is all.
I was about to type in....I'm watching because of Piper Pibero.....we all have our reasons

This show basically follows the same rogue spy formula that pretty much most Hollywood / TV spy shows/movies follow. Since when does James Bond follow orders? Or Jason Bourne? Or Michael Westen. It would be pretty boring if they did actually. Most spies sit at a desk. Still, the show isn't all that well written and you can see stuff coming a mile away. But the characters are likable, and yeah, there's Piper (or Augie, depending on your orientation).
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

This show is clearly CIA version of Burn Notice. Forget her terrible cover. Who does she report to? She just decides to go to Columbia and no one seems to mind/care.

If you try and follow this show for logic, it is terrible. It definitely needs a large amount of disbelief.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Who does she report to? She just decides to go to Columbia and no one seems to mind/care.
It's ok because she went on vacation. She wasn't going on assignment.

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
It's ok because she went on vacation. She wasn't going on assignment.

I don't remember, did she tell Joan that she was going on vacation or they just assumed it?

This isn't the kind of show you watch because it's believable. You watch because it's light and fun, and there are pretty people

Most of USA's shows are like that, especially their summer stuff. And for summer time, I'm fine with that
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
aaronw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
This show is clearly CIA version of Burn Notice. Forget her terrible cover. Who does she report to? She just decides to go to Columbia and no one seems to mind/care.

If you try and follow this show for logic, it is terrible. It definitely needs a large amount of disbelief.
pedantic alert, the country is colOmbia, the city in maryland or the river in washington or the capital of the USA is colUmbia.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I don't remember, did she tell Joan that she was going on vacation or they just assumed it?

This isn't the kind of show you watch because it's believable. You watch because it's light and fun, and there are pretty people

Most of USA's shows are like that, especially their summer stuff. And for summer time, I'm fine with that
+1. I love this show and don't care that it's not believable.

I'm really not crazy about Joan and Arthur, but they are finally becoming a bit more interesting. Wonder if Joan knows about Arthur's son? And his affair (who was it with?) Who will replace him not that he's resigned?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
verdugan

Quote:
I don't think they showed it, but didn't Annie said she was going on her on and taking vacation?

Agreed on the "turn off your brain when you watch part"
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I, for one, am getting tired of the "turn off your brain" so you can watch teevee mantra. If I wanted to "turn off my brain" it would be while I'm doing something other than that....
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I, for one, am getting tired of the "turn off your brain" so you can watch teevee mantra. If I wanted to "turn off my brain" it would be while I'm doing something other than that....
Then you should just watch shows that stimulate your brain. But don't expect EVERY show to meet that criteria. Not every show is even designed to or meant to. This show is not for you. Nor is most of the USA summer stuff like Burn Notice or Royal Pains. Plenty of other shows on TV, or other things to do.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
...And his affair (who was it with?)
I think the affair is purely a cover story. He's having to resign because of his involvement in the shady goings on in Colombia, but obviously he can't say that to the bureau.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Then you should just watch shows that stimulate your brain. But don't expect EVERY show to meet that criteria. Not every show is even designed to or meant to. This show is not for you. Nor is most of the USA summer stuff like Burn Notice or Royal Pains. Plenty of other shows on TV, or other things to do.
...and that's exactly what I plan to do if this season of CA doesn't improve quickly. I know it's only been one episode, but I don't previously recall this show being so stupid...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
...and that's exactly what I plan to do if this season of CA doesn't improve quickly. I know it's only been one episode, but I don't previously recall this show being so stupid...
But it's never been a show you watch for brain stimulation. It's not that type of show. That's what I don't get. I'm not sure what you are expecting here. It's never going to be Downton Abbey, or even Mad Men. Perhaps it wasn't as far fetched before? Maybe. But I don't think it's exponentially different than what it's always been. Annie has always been a spy who does her own thing. She's done it for the whole run of the show. She's gone rogue almost every season. I'm not that thrilled with the CIA director resigning storyline yet, but they need to change it up some. We'll see.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
But it's never been a show you watch for brain stimulation. It's not that type of show. That's what I don't get. I'm not sure what you are expecting here. It's never going to be Downton Abbey, or even Mad Men. Perhaps it wasn't as far fetched before? Maybe. But I don't think it's exponentially different than what it's always been. Annie has always been a spy who does her own thing. She's done it for the whole run of the show. She's gone rogue almost every season. I'm not that thrilled with the CIA director resigning storyline yet, but they need to change it up some. We'll see.
I never said it was a show for "brain stimulation". There's a VAST difference between what I call a stupid show and one that can be entertaining plus cause you to think a bit and "brain stimulation". Those three options are quite different. I would prefer this show not be as stupid as this has become; it used to be in the middle of the spectrum I just mentioned. If it continues as it started this season, I would brand it "stupid"....
Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
nyny523
Oy

Stupid. perhaps.

But with shirtless Augie.

Balances out, AFAIAK...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

THAT argument I'll never win....