TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,319
Covert Affairs "Vamos" 7/16/2013

I swear, Annie Walker has to be the worst spy ever. She does the exact opposite of what she's told to do half the time. She ignores the chain of command when she feels like it. She conducts her own missions seemingly whenever she wants to. Apparently, this season she can take spur of the moment vacations too. She's the hero of the show so everything works out in the end but she should have been fired for insubordination and being an all around being a crappy employee long ago. And she got Augie shot!
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
BluesFools
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Posts: 383
I'm going to tail someone through the streets of Colombia. To make myself inconspicuous I'll leave my long blonde hair flowing, wear a bright orange shirt, and make sure I have a blind guy with a cane attached to me. I'll completely blend into the background.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFools View Post
I'm going to tail someone through the streets of Colombia. To make myself inconspicuous I'll leave my long blonde hair flowing, wear a bright orange shirt, and make sure I have a blind guy with a cane attached to me. I'll completely blend into the background.
This....so much this!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 48,163
Terrible, just terrible. She needs to be stuck behind a desk, translating Echelon recordings.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,221
Hubby couldn't even watch it because it was /so/ bad. it's like they're not even trying anymore! I can suspend a lot of disbelief, but this show is really stretching the limit.
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind
 
Tivo_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,043
The ep started with her going up an elevator (with Augi back in the U.S) and then on the 32nd floor gets off with drawn gun on the Columbian station chief....then show jumps to 10 days earlier.

They never came back to that scene, her and Augie back to the U.S. What did I miss here??
__________________
24 is back !!
Tivo_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
hospadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo_60 View Post
The ep started with her going up an elevator (with Augi back in the U.S) and then on the 32nd floor gets off with drawn gun on the Columbian station chief....then show jumps to 10 days earlier.

They never came back to that scene, her and Augie back to the U.S. What did I miss here??
It was actually 10 *weeks* later. I presume this season will fill in the missing 10 weeks... and the final episode will conclude with the elevator scene.
hospadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind
 
Tivo_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,043
You're correct re the "weeks" however, it is earlier not later. (just watched the beginning again)

The season filling in that time now makes sense to me, however I think I'm bailing on this series.
__________________
24 is back !!
Tivo_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 48,163
Basically that opening was an in media res that will take 10 episodes to resolve. Geesh.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Agatha Mystery
Registered User
 
Agatha Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BFE, So. California
Posts: 16,343
However, we did get our requisite no shirt scene with Auggie.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
However, we did get our requisite no shirt scene with Auggie.
YOUR requisite no shirt scene....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
AeneaGames
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
YOUR requisite no shirt scene....
They can't please everyone!
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
nyny523
Oy
 
nyny523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 27,233
As long as we continue to get shirtless Augie, I will be tuning in.

That is all.
__________________
LET'S GO METS!!!
nyny523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 48,163
I'm sorry, but everytime they say "Augie," I get flashbacks to Hanna-Barbera's Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy:



We just need to have Augie's dad appear on Covert Affairs and have the first words out of his mouth be "Augie, my son, my son."
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
As long as we continue to get shirtless Augie, I will be tuning in.

That is all.
I was about to type in....I'm watching because of Piper Pibero.....we all have our reasons

This show basically follows the same rogue spy formula that pretty much most Hollywood / TV spy shows/movies follow. Since when does James Bond follow orders? Or Jason Bourne? Or Michael Westen. It would be pretty boring if they did actually. Most spies sit at a desk. Still, the show isn't all that well written and you can see stuff coming a mile away. But the characters are likable, and yeah, there's Piper (or Augie, depending on your orientation).
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 6,214
This show is clearly CIA version of Burn Notice. Forget her terrible cover. Who does she report to? She just decides to go to Columbia and no one seems to mind/care.

If you try and follow this show for logic, it is terrible. It definitely needs a large amount of disbelief.
__________________
Nothing Can Kill The Grimace
Frylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
verdugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Who does she report to? She just decides to go to Columbia and no one seems to mind/care.
It's ok because she went on vacation. She wasn't going on assignment.


verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
It's ok because she went on vacation. She wasn't going on assignment.

I don't remember, did she tell Joan that she was going on vacation or they just assumed it?

This isn't the kind of show you watch because it's believable. You watch because it's light and fun, and there are pretty people

Most of USA's shows are like that, especially their summer stuff. And for summer time, I'm fine with that
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
aaronw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
This show is clearly CIA version of Burn Notice. Forget her terrible cover. Who does she report to? She just decides to go to Columbia and no one seems to mind/care.

If you try and follow this show for logic, it is terrible. It definitely needs a large amount of disbelief.
pedantic alert, the country is colOmbia, the city in maryland or the river in washington or the capital of the USA is colUmbia.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I don't remember, did she tell Joan that she was going on vacation or they just assumed it?

This isn't the kind of show you watch because it's believable. You watch because it's light and fun, and there are pretty people

Most of USA's shows are like that, especially their summer stuff. And for summer time, I'm fine with that
+1. I love this show and don't care that it's not believable.

I'm really not crazy about Joan and Arthur, but they are finally becoming a bit more interesting. Wonder if Joan knows about Arthur's son? And his affair (who was it with?) Who will replace him not that he's resigned?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
verdugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I don't remember, did she tell Joan that she was going on vacation or they just assumed it?
I don't think they showed it, but didn't Annie said she was going on her on and taking vacation?

Agreed on the "turn off your brain when you watch part"
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
I, for one, am getting tired of the "turn off your brain" so you can watch teevee mantra. If I wanted to "turn off my brain" it would be while I'm doing something other than that....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I, for one, am getting tired of the "turn off your brain" so you can watch teevee mantra. If I wanted to "turn off my brain" it would be while I'm doing something other than that....
Then you should just watch shows that stimulate your brain. But don't expect EVERY show to meet that criteria. Not every show is even designed to or meant to. This show is not for you. Nor is most of the USA summer stuff like Burn Notice or Royal Pains. Plenty of other shows on TV, or other things to do.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
Dawghows
Registered User
 
Dawghows's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
...And his affair (who was it with?)
I think the affair is purely a cover story. He's having to resign because of his involvement in the shady goings on in Colombia, but obviously he can't say that to the bureau.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Then you should just watch shows that stimulate your brain. But don't expect EVERY show to meet that criteria. Not every show is even designed to or meant to. This show is not for you. Nor is most of the USA summer stuff like Burn Notice or Royal Pains. Plenty of other shows on TV, or other things to do.
...and that's exactly what I plan to do if this season of CA doesn't improve quickly. I know it's only been one episode, but I don't previously recall this show being so stupid...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...and that's exactly what I plan to do if this season of CA doesn't improve quickly. I know it's only been one episode, but I don't previously recall this show being so stupid...
But it's never been a show you watch for brain stimulation. It's not that type of show. That's what I don't get. I'm not sure what you are expecting here. It's never going to be Downton Abbey, or even Mad Men. Perhaps it wasn't as far fetched before? Maybe. But I don't think it's exponentially different than what it's always been. Annie has always been a spy who does her own thing. She's done it for the whole run of the show. She's gone rogue almost every season. I'm not that thrilled with the CIA director resigning storyline yet, but they need to change it up some. We'll see.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
But it's never been a show you watch for brain stimulation. It's not that type of show. That's what I don't get. I'm not sure what you are expecting here. It's never going to be Downton Abbey, or even Mad Men. Perhaps it wasn't as far fetched before? Maybe. But I don't think it's exponentially different than what it's always been. Annie has always been a spy who does her own thing. She's done it for the whole run of the show. She's gone rogue almost every season. I'm not that thrilled with the CIA director resigning storyline yet, but they need to change it up some. We'll see.
I never said it was a show for "brain stimulation". There's a VAST difference between what I call a stupid show and one that can be entertaining plus cause you to think a bit and "brain stimulation". Those three options are quite different. I would prefer this show not be as stupid as this has become; it used to be in the middle of the spectrum I just mentioned. If it continues as it started this season, I would brand it "stupid"....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
nyny523
Oy
 
nyny523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 27,233
Stupid. perhaps.

But with shirtless Augie.

Balances out, AFAIAK...
__________________
LET'S GO METS!!!
nyny523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
THAT argument I'll never win....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #30
nyny523
Oy
 
nyny523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 27,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
THAT argument I'll never win....
Smart man...
__________________
LET'S GO METS!!!
nyny523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |