TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
doyling

Moca Problems with Motorola Modem

Just wondering if anyone is having problems with their internet dropping when using the Moca boxes.

I have the following: Cable company has a split at the box, one side internet, one side TV. It passes through the POE filter, then routes through one moca, then to my Motorola S6120 modem. Modem ties into the moca, and continues on to a router and switch.

Frequently my modem reboots with the following message:
Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout

The fun part is the time stamp on the modem is about 2 hours and 43 minutes different than the actual time, so coming the logs takes a little creativity. I had my provider come out and tell me all is fine and T3 and T4 drops are common.

I work from home so every time the modem wonks out, I have to redo my VPN connection for work and reboot my laptop. Lots of fun there.

So, anyone know of issues with moca damaging the cable signal or something? I really don't like having the moca as the first device.
doyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I wouldn't put the MoCA adapter in between the incoming cable and the cable modem. The splitter in most MoCA adapters is crappy. I'd put the MoCA adapter on the TV side of the splitter and connect directly from the incoming splitter to the cable modem. Or get a good three-way splitter at the incoming line and connect each output to cable modem, MoCA adapter, and outbound to TV sets, etc.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
doyling

Interesting thought. My splitter is in the ceiling with no power nearby. If I put the moca in series with my TiVo, I have electric there, plus Cat 6 already pulled and not used. Then my internet would be direct again to the modem. Moca would come back on Cat 6 to my switch. The moca would be behind the TV splitter, how well does it back feed?
doyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyling View Post
Just wondering if anyone is having problems with their internet dropping when using the Moca boxes.

I have the following: Cable company has a split at the box, one side internet, one side TV. It passes through the POE filter, then routes through one moca, then to my Motorola S6120 modem. Modem ties into the moca, and continues on to a router and switch.

Frequently my modem reboots with the following message:
Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout

The fun part is the time stamp on the modem is about 2 hours and 43 minutes different than the actual time, so coming the logs takes a little creativity. I had my provider come out and tell me all is fine and T3 and T4 drops are common.

I work from home so every time the modem wonks out, I have to redo my VPN connection for work and reboot my laptop. Lots of fun there.

So, anyone know of issues with moca damaging the cable signal or something? I really don't like having the moca as the first device.
If you really need a poe filter, put it before the split at the box. The MOCA adapter doesn't need to be on the same coax as the modem and doesn't need to be in front of the modem. Ideally, the ethernet jack on the MOCA adapter will be connected to a port on your router/switch. The coax jack for the MOCA adapter will be connected to a line that can connect with the tivo (it's ok for there to be splitters and long coax runs between these points). If your MOCA adapter has a coax out, there is no need to use it for anything.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have two passive splitters between two TiVo boxes on MoCA, and another splitter between one of the TiVo boxes and the MoCA bridge at the router. No issues at all, as long as they are good 1ghz+ splitters.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote