TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Camp - anyone watching? *Full season thread and spoilers*

After two episodes, I'm just not sure about this show...

I hadn't heard anything about it but I have a Wishlist set to record "Pilot" episodes so it grabbed it. Then the first ep was so-so (there were no "WOW THIS IS AWESOME" moments) but it was kinda cute so I set a true SP in case it got better.

I swear my recording was at 8, but the language and situations were definitely not family-friendly 8pm materials.

It's a cute premise, but are there even really semi-rustic camps like that? For families? I would think it would be for kids only...? And it didn't seem to have a proportionate amount of parents to kids, and there were kids just being dropped off...? So it feels like they have a token small group of parents there for the sole purpose of interacting with the camp owner lady and talking about sex and alcohol. Though there's lots of talk about sex and alcohol amongst the kids, too.

The second ep didn't really draw me in much, either. There's nothing inherently wrong...it just seems kinda blah.

There was a quick mention of Harbor Springs which caught my ear--it's a Michigan city--so it got me wondering where this camp was supposedly located. I either missed any reference to it or it wasn't mentioned. But the city reference was made as a "He took his girlfriend there on an expensive vacation" -- which, yes it's a resorty town, but I can't see out-of-state people talking to friends about it like it was as well-known as Vegas or Miami. So I googled to see where it was supposed to be and couldn't find much...but it's filmed in Australia?!

Anyhow. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching. As it is, it's a background show.

Anyone else watching?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I watched the first episode and recorded the second. I figured what major spoilers could there be for THIS show

It was ok. I read a few reviews that said it had a Parenthood kind of feel, and we love Parenthood, so we gave it a shot. The pilot was just ok, but I saw some potential. Will watch the second one of the weekend and decide if it's a keeper.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
MikeCC
TiVotee

Yeah, I'm watching.

I love much of the cast. I catch quite a few Aussie TV shows on Netflix, so when I stumbled on this last week, I figured I give it a try.

I was surprised they are trying to set it in the US. They don't do a bad job with it--making sure the cars have the steering wheel on the correct side, having all license plates have Michigan on them, and even use the correct shaped sign for an interstate highway marker. Most of the Australian-sounding speech patterns are toned down.

But with so many cast mates from about a half dozen Australian TV shows, I figured production was probably done down under. When I looked it up, I found not only was I correct, but that Jonathan LaPaglia and Rachel Griffiths are from Australia, too.

Huh.

It's light summer fare. I like some of the kids; the adults are a bit less defined to me.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I saw this was filmed in Australia, but the actors all have "American" accents. Is this supposed to take place in Australia?

The sleep away camps I know of that cater to the NY Metro area don't have "family" cabins that I know of. There's DUDE ranches that are sorta like camps, but they cater to those who enjoy horses and "cowboy" sort of things. Not really the same thing. I know that the UK has Holiday Camps which are family camps like what this is. Maybe Australia has the same thing?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I have a Wishlist set to record "Pilot" episodes
What a wonderful idea, thanks for that
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Yeah, I'm watching.

I was surprised they are trying to set it in the US. They don't do a bad job with it--making sure the cars have the steering wheel on the correct side, having all license plates have Michigan on them, and even use the correct shaped sign for an interstate highway marker. Most of the Australian-sounding speech patterns are toned down.
I missed the license plates! If they're Michigan, then the Harbor Springs line makes perfect sense. I may have to undelete and look for the plates and signs.

I must be very inept at hearing the speech patterns because I NEVER would have guessed it was Australian. I think one guy might have an accent, but I just assumed it was one guy with an accent.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I missed the license plates! If they're Michigan, then the Harbor Springs line makes perfect sense. I may have to undelete and look for the plates and signs.

I must be very inept at hearing the speech patterns because I NEVER would have guessed it was Australian. I think one guy might have an accent, but I just assumed it was one guy with an accent.
I thought Rachel Griffith's speech pattern was a little weird. That explains it. I didn't realize she was Australian. She was very monotone, and maybe she was trying too hard to hide her Oz accent.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Zephyr

Awful, just awful. One of those "I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this" shows.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Could not stand the pilot. There were a few characters that were mildly interesting but the show just drowned in its own stupidity. I realize that the title "Camp" might be a bit of cheeky wordplay, but if you are going for campy you have to do it well.

Some of the casting is really off.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
mattack

I've only watched the first episode so far, but I thought it was pretty decent. I mean, during main TV season with more shows to keep up on (not to mention tuners/recording space), it would be a goner pretty quickly.

I liked that it started out as the generic cliche summer camp for a few minutes, then he gets hooked in the nose.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it was this show that had an AWFULLY long first act before commercial.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Cainebj

I thought it was pretty decent at least to give it a shot to see where it goes. I mean at least it's a little something different from every new buddy police drama.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Actually, the plates aren't really correct Michigan plates: they don't have to state's design. They are a generic license plate design with the name Michigan on them. And every car plate I saw was this generic design. (As an aside, I would suspect that this sort of rustic resort would attract a lot of out of state guests, so we should see Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio plates, too. Maybe some Canadian... but I'm getting way too persnickety.)

That they did this, gives us a detail that makes sure an American viewer wouldn't be taken out of the story.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote