TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Deadliest Catch - OAD 7/16/2013

Seems like all the boats are having problems this season!

Good of the Hilstrands to loan Wild Bill that hydro fluid. Hard to imagine getting repairs and parts that far away from help!

I'm still surprised that something shown in the previews a couple weeks ago has not been seen yet. Perhaps they're saving it for the finale or something.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
pmyers

Nice to see that Elliot is no different to the other captains than he is with anybody else...they guy just can't take suggestions/wisdom/critisizm. (I'm talking about the pre-show).
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I didn't catch it, what was he ignoring this time?
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
LifeIsABeach

Liking the new greenhorn on the Wizard. Got a chuckle when he took off his cap after getting hit with the pot and he already had a Wizard mohawk. I wonder if they made that conditional on his employment.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
innocentfreak

I just can't watch this show anymore. I absolutely can't stand the people they focus on now. It seems like it has gone from being about a deadly job to who can be the biggest piece of trash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
LlamaLarry

I wonder if the Time Bandit would be able to recoup any of these recent repair costs as faulty install/design from their initial refit during the off season? Unless this is something the captains cobbled together themselves at a tasty $1MM+ experiment, it seems that engine mounts, drive shaft, propeller imbalances that cause it to vibrate itself apart would be a design/install problem.

#notaboatguy
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
pmyers

my recolection was the problem was past the engine and from the drive shaft back. That sounds like something the engine guys wouldn't have had anything to do with.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
LlamaLarry

I was pretty sure that they replaced the props as well (refit episode long deleted) and an article here seems to gloss over the circumstances of the switch from the 4 to 5 blade prop that was mentioned in this episode.
Quote:
New engine installation was relatively straight forward as the KTA19 and the QSK19 have similar footprints. The engine beds were beefed up and some alignment issues dealt with. The existing Twin Disc 516 gears are rated for up to 800 HP. The repower increased the output to each shaft from 425 HP to 600 HP. They rebuilt the stuffing boxes and overhauled the 4.5-inch shafts, but the only major change was the addition of new props. “We tried adding pitch to the four-blade props that had been 58 by 43-inch but we still only go 2.6 knots with the engines on idle. So we replaced those props with new five-blade 58 by 55-inch props and this gave us 4.1 knots at idle. At 1500 RPM the new engines give us nine knots where the old engines gave only 7.5 knots. This burns a little more fuel but if we slow to 1360 RPM we get 8.5 knots and save on fuel.”
In the end, if the brothers kind of did this on their own and/or installed it themselves I suppose they are just stuck. I know if i paid for a new engine to be installed in my car and I had to bring it back because the engine/driveshaft/transmission were shaking themselves apart I would expect it to be repaired as part of the initial install.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote