TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
DPJohnson

Strange TiVo Central message

On the TiVo central page I have a message: Please Activate Service, Go to UNKNOWN and enter your TiVo service number to activate this UNKNOWN. THe UNKNOWN will not work without an active service subscription.

How to I go to UNKNOWN???
DPJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Has the drive been replaced? many weird things will happen with a replaced drive that needs a C&DE done to it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Bad_Dog

Reviving an old thread, but I also have this same issue.

I just bought a Premiere XL4 off of ebay - new, never been open. It doesn't have a Cablecard yet (I have Fios and it's on order), so all I've done is the guided setup and its downloaded its various updates and such.

I get this error message on the Tivo Central home page, just as the OP had. I haven't activated service yet and I'm concerned that there may be issues and don't want to purchase a Lifetime activation and be stuck with a dud.

You mentioned a "C&DE". What is that?
Bad_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Dog View Post
Reviving an old thread, but I also have this same issue.

I just bought a Premiere XL4 off of ebay - new, never been open. It doesn't have a Cablecard yet (I have Fios and it's on order), so all I've done is the guided setup and its downloaded its various updates and such.

I get this error message on the Tivo Central home page, just as the OP had. I haven't activated service yet and I'm concerned that there may be issues and don't want to purchase a Lifetime activation and be stuck with a dud.

You mentioned a "C&DE". What is that?
"Clear and Delete Everything"
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Bad_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
"Clear and Delete Everything"
Ok, thanks.

When I started it up, it didn't have anything on it and it took me through the initial guided startup, giving me the impression that it's new or had gone through the wipe previously. There's nothing about its packaging that leads me to believe that this is/was a used device.

Since it's new and there's nothing on it, I can do the full reset and see if that changes it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Dog View Post
Ok, thanks.

When I started it up, it didn't have anything on it and it took me through the initial guided startup, giving me the impression that it's new or had gone through the wipe previously. There's nothing about its packaging that leads me to believe that this is/was a used device.

Since it's new and there's nothing on it, I can do the full reset and see if that changes it.
If you do a clear and delete everything, you will lose the thx optimizer video and there's no way to recover it after it's lost.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
If you do a clear and delete everything, you will lose the thx optimizer video and there's no way to recover it after it's lost.
Yep, I learned that little fact the hard way.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Bad_Dog

Ooow, good to know. Haven't done it yet...

Meanwhile, I'm left with wondering whether or not this is a bad error or benign. I think I'm going to call support.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Bad_Dog

Called support and here's what they said...

They confirmed that it is a new box, so it's not an issue of getting screwed by ebay. The rep said that he's seen the error before, but it's not really an issue. It's related to the fact that it's not activated, and in addition, possibly due to the fact that it doesn't have Cable service / Mcard installed.

I was concerned about the error because I didn't want to activate it (intending to do Lifetime) and didn't want to be left with a bad machine. Didn't realize they have a 30-day money back guarantee, so I'm good to go.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I have that THX video if anyone really needs it (extracted from my 748 XL). Personally, I think that adjusting the TV to your personal tastes/lighting conditions/preferences beats a "calibration" video any day.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I have that THX video if anyone really needs it (extracted from my 748 XL). Personally, I think that adjusting the TV to your personal tastes/lighting conditions/preferences beats a "calibration" video any day.
Agreed. (do I ever disagree with you?)

Only ONE/TWO thoughts came to mind over what it would, or could, hurt to lose that video: The potential resale value/A buyer that may expect it to be there, if it isn't disclosed it is not?

Is your copy of the THX video something easily added? I couldn't find a way to make a copy of it off from the TiVo. It's protected. No MRV/MRS/TiVoDeskTop options to keep a backup, of just the THX video.

If there's any concerns about this leading the way of breaking the forum rules, I suggest we stop all speak of the THX video, in public areas, and go to PM mode.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
ggieseke

The easy way to get it back is to restore a DvrBARS image to the drive. If you have already done a C&DE, overwriting the drive with a factory or truncated image wouldn't lose anything.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #13
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Has the drive been replaced? many weird things will happen with a replaced drive that needs a C&DE done to it.
I've seen this happen a few times on original drive units. Had it happen on pretty much every Premiere I've owned after the 20.2 update before activation. From the Premiere I got in 2010 upon reactivation, the Premiere I got in February, and the Premiere 4 I got in May. Once it connects to the server and obtains an account it fixes itself.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Sure I'd love to have that video if your able to, please.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Sure I'd love to have that video if your able to, please.
I'm sure he'll PM you about it. I got my PM from him.

Please consider donating to his DVRBARS project. Without it, that video would very likely still be unavailable to anybody who lost it. The more I speak with him, the more I realize just how much effort he puts into things, and a utility that he CHOOSES to provide for free.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote