TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
WVZR1

Pixelation/noise - SNR - Signal Strength

I've had some recent pixelation/noise on both my 2-XL and my 4 - XL with Comcast/Motorola and NO TA. Using CableCard diagnostics I seem to have consistent 30 SNR and 76 or 77 Signal strength and of course I've restarted both machines. I've swapped the home runs at an amp that I use with taps and no splitters.

I use a home run to each location with a tap and a lead to the television direct and the second to the TiVo. Each home run is equal length. I've by-passed the amp and eliminated my modem from the mix and did the TV/TiVo's direct with no change.

My SB6120 displays 36 dB across all four channels and -1 dBV & -2 dBV PowerLevel "down"!

Is it conceivable that a "hit" on the CableCards would help the siuation or do I just need to approach Comcast for a check of the "drop to the house"?

I've never had issues and best I recall my signal strengths on the install when the 4 tuners were released were 90+ at the TiVo's and the televisions.

The connection at the grounding block was done when I did the original install and appears fine.

The issue seems more prevalent on major networks and maybe worse at "prime time" BUT maybe because that's when I watch maybe more frequently.

Last edited by WVZR1 : 07-17-2013 at 07:51 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
compnurd

that is a low SNR.... i think 35 is the min
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

On my SB6120, the SNR is normally around 36-37, so 35 is in the right ballpark. But I find if the power level gets down to -3 dB, then I start to have problems - it's normally at 2 or 3 dB for me.

My TiVo SNR are normally in the 92 range.

I would say you definitely have a weak signal.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
WVZR1

Thanks guys!

A "hit" to the cards is time wasted?
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
On my SB6120, the SNR is normally around 36-37, so 35 is in the right ballpark. But I find if the power level gets down to -3 dB, then I start to have problems - it's normally at 2 or 3 dB for me.

My TiVo SNR are normally in the 92 range.

I would say you definitely have a weak signal.
I think 92 as a SNL might be a signal level. But you are right, SNR of 36-37 on a cable drop is normal for me too. Luckily I can confirm on my TV which has a different drop. The TiVo and SB6120 are on one drop. Everything else is on a different drop. Everything agrees.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote