TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
mahohmei

Channel list

I have a TiVo Premiere, and I have what is either a wish, or something that's doable but I don't know how:

I want the TiVo to automatically scan the entire CableCARD-from-Comcast channel list, check the channels I'm authorized for, and uncheck those for which I am not.

Is this doable? Does TiVo want to implement this? I'll take a TiVo employee out to lunch if they program this in. :-)

Thanks
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
I have a TiVo Premiere, and I have what is either a wish, or something that's doable but I don't know how:

I want the TiVo to automatically scan the entire CableCARD-from-Comcast channel list, check the channels I'm authorized for, and uncheck those for which I am not.

Is this doable? Does TiVo want to implement this? I'll take a TiVo employee out to lunch if they program this in. :-)

Thanks
I don't know your viewing habits, but I go through the list once to select my channels and select favorites. I then can select what the guide shows. Usually it's only the 20 or so favorites out of 200+ in the lineup.

Because of the cable card, there are no dead air channels to be skipped.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:

Is this doable?
Nope not automatically.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
miadlor

Mine are doubled also.....just happened this morning on 2 Premieres.
Not all, just from 1138 up/ Cox
miadlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Bigg

It was a PITA, but I manually killed off all the SD channels that have HD duplicates on mine.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
nrnoble

This request seems logical\pracatical, but I guessing its not an easy thing for them to implement or there maybe some cablecard rule that forbids them from disabling channels. I can imagine that channel\stations owners do not wants their channels disabled from the channel guide, even when its not part of the subscribers package.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
mahohmei

Here's another reason it's such a PITA: Comcast's channel lineup appears to be classified information, at least if I want it as a convenient PDF I can sit down with in front of the TV. The only way to get a single-sheet fold-up channel lineup is by physically visiting the Comcast office here.

I'd love to see Comcast pubish a PDF for the following situation: "I have the XYZ cable package with HD, show me a list of all channels, but not the SD duplicates."

Better yet, have a way for a TiVo to be told this. :-)
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
Here's another reason it's such a PITA: Comcast's channel lineup appears to be classified information, at least if I want it as a convenient PDF I can sit down with in front of the TV. The only way to get a single-sheet fold-up channel lineup is by physically visiting the Comcast office here.

I'd love to see Comcast pubish a PDF for the following situation: "I have the XYZ cable package with HD, show me a list of all channels, but not the SD duplicates."

They want channels you don't get in there so that you'll flip through the guide, click on them, and then upgrade your package to get those channels.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:

I don't know why TiVo can't do it. It's "smart enough" to detect if you can get a particular channel or not.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
This request seems logical\pracatical, but I guessing its not an easy thing for them to implement or there maybe some cablecard rule that forbids them from disabling channels. I can imagine that channel\stations owners do not wants their channels disabled from the channel guide, even when its not part of the subscribers package.
Especially since nowadays you see the "Not Authorized" message, yeah, it seems like Tivo could do this. (Though ONCE in a while I do see another message... sort of like the 'channel not available', but IIRC, worded slightly differently... and changing channels and back went back to the unauthorized message.. so it apparently can get confused.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
rknobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Especially since nowadays you see the "Not Authorized" message,
I've always wanted that "Not Authorized" message have a "Delete this channel" button in it. Eventually the list would get cleaned up, even if you can't do it during a scan.
rknobbe is offline   Reply With Quote