TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Andy D

Passing a TiVo HD on

I am planning to pass my TiVo HD on to my son and his wife. I am getting another Premiere. I want to first copy the content from the HD to my new Premiere. I have a complete series (just 7 or 8 episodes) that my son never saw.

According to instructions from TiVo I should wipe the HD before passing it on.

I know I have to cancel my service contract before passing the HD on, but...

Is there a way to clear my contract info and leave the programming for my son, or is this not allowed?

Thanks,

Andy D
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
Is there a way to clear my contract info and leave the programming for my son, or is this not allowed?

Thanks,

Andy D
If I'm not mistaken, the MAK (media access key) changes with the new account so keeping the recordings on the device would be pointless since they'll be encrypted with a different key.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
I am planning to pass my TiVo HD on to my son and his wife. I am getting another Premiere. I want to first copy the content from the HD to my new Premiere. I have a complete series (just 7 or 8 episodes) that my son never saw.

Thanks,

Andy D
There really isn't any contract info on the TiVo. Removing the TSN from your TiVo account will suffice, although if you have any Netflix, Amazon, or other info, you should get rid of that. Your son should be able to play any of the existing recordings with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the MAK (media access key) changes with the new account so keeping the recordings on the device would be pointless since they'll be encrypted with a different key.
Recordings on the TiVo aren't encrypted using the MAK, they are encrypted using a h/w key unique to the TiVo, which is why you can't move a drive from one TiVo to another, even one on the same account, and preserve the recordings. The MAK only comes into play for network transfers.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:

Thanks,

Andy D
If you've been paying monthly on that HD, then you should be able to get lifetime on it for $99 since you just bought a Premiere.

Then you can probably contact TiVo and tell them you're giving it to your son and get a reference number he can use to have it moved to his TiVo account (which, if he doesn't already have one, will be created so that this TiVo can be on it).

And you don't have to erase anything from the HD.

He can go into setup (not even complete Guided Setup) and change the zip code (if necessary) and the cable company involved and get it to do an OTA channel scan and all that stuff, and he can delete your season passes if he doesn't like them.

No need for you to erase or delete anything.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
He can go into setup (not even complete Guided Setup) and change the zip code (if necessary) and the cable company involved and get it to do an OTA channel scan and all that stuff, and he can delete your season passes if he doesn't like them.
Um, there is no "setup" option outside of guided setup. There are settings but zip code is not one of the things that can be changed. If the location is being changed, he'll have to "Redo Guided Setup".

If a CableCARD is installed, it should be removed and installed in the new Premiere and paired to it. The son will have to acquire his own and have it paired.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Thanks,

Andy D
If you want to leave the recordings on the tivo for your son, leave them. There is nothing on the Tivo that anyone can use to harm you.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Um, there is no "setup" option outside of guided setup. There are settings but zip code is not one of the things that can be changed. If the location is being changed, he'll have to "Redo Guided Setup".
From the channel list, you can press 'enter' to choose a new lineup and that may or may not require entering a new zip code. The option was added many years ago starting on the S2 so that you wouldn't have to repeat all of guided setup when it wasn't necessary.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
If you want to leave the recordings on the tivo for your son, leave them. There is nothing on the Tivo that anyone can use to harm you.
With the exception for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ... logins
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
From the channel list, you can press 'enter' to choose a new lineup and that may or may not require entering a new zip code. The option was added many years ago starting on the S2 so that you wouldn't have to repeat all of guided setup when it wasn't necessary.
I just tried this. You know what I got?
Quote:
Repeat Guided Setup
Warning: You are about to repeat Guided Setup... (etc)
Including the
Quote:
As a safety precaution, press THUMBS DOWN three times, then
ENTER to proceed. (Or press LEFT to go back)
at the bottom.

This was on a Premiere. Can't check it right now on the THD as it is currently recording and the Series 2 is not available.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
With the exception for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ... logins
These accounts are managed from their own websites.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I just tried this. You know what I got?

Including the at the bottom.

This was on a Premiere. Can't check it right now on the THD as it is currently recording and the Series 2 is not available.
I've never had to do it on my S3 or S4, I did do it on my S2 a couple of years ago and it was not the whole guided setup.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
I've never had to do it on my S3 or S4, I did do it on my S2 a couple of years ago and it was not the whole guided setup.
Yeah, I just got to try it on my S2, and it said that it would be redoing part of guided setup. I assume that if you do not change the zip code, it will not have to download a new provider list. In any case, downloading a new lineup and guide data is the most time consuming portion of guided setup, so you really don't save much.