Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
They were discontinued quite a while ago
Kinda makes one wonder why they would discontinue such an excellent product?

Quote:
(which is stupid to not wait until the next model is released).
Begs the question...Were they DISCONTINUED or are they planning to release a "next model"?

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 07-06-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Back when TiVo was liquidating their slide remotes in the clearance section of the website, the prices were pretty reasonable and lower then the MSRP that they were originally selling for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Almost sounds like they couldn't give them away?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIBM View Post
I just got my extra "charter" remote and I am on Charter in GA. The Tivo says function not available when I press the extra on demand button.
Good point on that "On Demand" problem. I am on Time Warner in Brooklyn, NY and it's the same here. My Toshiba (Tivo "box") (non-HD) Tivo can access the TW On-Demand channels but if I try to view them with the Series 3 units I am also told they are not available.

Don't know if TW or Tivo are responsible for this unavailability but I believe it has something to do with using cable cards vs a regulat Tivo box.

I called TW to complain and asked why I could not access the On-Demand channels I was paying for with my choice of service pack. Their usual idiotic response was that the On_Demand channels were a free service so I was NOT paying for them.

Yeah, right, just like you are not paying for the gasoline a moving company uses while moving you across country.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #34
JWhites

Wait how are you able to access the Time Warner On Demand service on the Toshiba TiVo unit? Is there like an app or something, or is it a Time Warner branded TiVo? Is it the same way TiVo Premiere works with Comcast's On Demand service through an app? I know that it's possible with the cablecard authorizing the app to work and using the internet to send the remote commands to the Xfinity On Demand server, so it should be possible with Time Warner if they ever wanted to do it.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #35
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Wait how are you able to access the Time Warner On Demand service on the Toshiba TiVo unit?
As I said, I believe the On Demand channels are not accessible when using cable cards. The Toshiba is connected to a TW cable box which allows me to access the On Demand channels.

Quote:
so it should be possible with Time Warner if they ever wanted to do it.
"If they ever wanted to do it". I tend to agree with you there, they just don't want to do it.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #36
JWhites

Quote:
As I said, I believe the On Demand channels are not accessible when using cable cards. The Toshiba is connected to a TW cable box which allows me to access the On Demand channels.
Oh I must have missed that. You are correct that if channel 1 or channel 199 or any of the special On Demand channels are entered into TiVo, it will say "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)"

[quote=Tivo II Jack;9723343
"If they ever wanted to do it". I tend to agree with you there, they just don't want to do it.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad, but hopefully they'll change their mind someday soon.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Because of a replacement, most of us suspect.

Quote:
Begs the question...Were they DISCONTINUED or are they planning to release a "next model"?
The next model was probably delayed more than they had planned. Despite problems with some of the units, the Slide has been one of the best products TiVo ever made.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #38
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
The next model was probably delayed more than they had planned. Despite problems with some of the units, the Slide has been one of the best products TiVo ever made.
You sound pretty certain there will be a new model, so save your breath. You have already convinced me, if the replacements are reasonably priced, I will try one...or two.

I won't pay over $100 to go from a perfectly usable and suitable peanut though. BTW, how much were the Slides going for before the discontinuance caused price gouging?

Anyone care to discuss the peanut's shortcomings? Right off the bat, the Select and Clear buttons should be closer together, preferably near the current Select button. There are others.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Anyone care to discuss the peanut's shortcomings?
1) It is too big (one doesn't realize that until later)
2) The buttons are rubbery
3) Button have no feedback
4) The writing can wear off
5) It is IR only with no RF
6) It has no Qwerty keyboard
7) Most are not backlit
8) Response time is noticeably slower
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #40
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
2 and 4 are related, and there are both rubberery buttons and plastic'y buttons, my Premiere Glo's have plastic buttons, my Premiere normal is rubbery. FWIW I prefer the rubbery buttons.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
2 and 4 are related,
Yes they are. However, they are still separate negatives (or potential negatives). One can create rubbery buttons with colored rubbery text that never rubs off. And the rubbery feel is there regardless.

Quote:
there are both rubberery buttons and plastic'y buttons, my Premiere Glo's have plastic buttons, my Premiere normal is rubbery. FWIW I prefer the rubbery buttons.
I don't think the rubbery are bad, but having used both for a long time, I prefer the non-rubbery.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #42
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
1) It is too big (one doesn't realize that until later)
3) Button have no feedback
5) It is IR only with no RF
6) It has no Qwerty keyboard
7) Most are not backlit
8) Response time is noticeably slower

Re 1, 3 (feedback??), 5, 6 & 8. Never used a Slide Remote, cannot reply as to what these add to the Tivo experience.

2) Not sure this is problematic but I did prefer a feature of the Sony Remote for my Series 1 unit so many years ago. It had 4 dedicated buttons in a circular pattern for Up, Down, Left and Right rather than the single round button with arrows. Too often I get wrong direction.

4) Upon receiving a new remote, apply a light coat of clear nail polish to each button. Problem solved.

7) I am usually not even looking at the remote when using it. After 13 0r 14 years of using Tivo, my fingers pretty much do the walking unassisted by sight. I am sure this contributes to the last comment for 2).

Addition to rubbery 2). Every single one of my older remotes had buttons with missing pieces, a problem I never had with the Sony Remote's plastic buttons. This is no longer a problem because my button biting African Grey Parrot is no longer on this earth.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #43
Bigg

Picky picky. I actually really like my Peanut.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #44
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
BTW, how much were the Slides going for before the discontinuance caused price gouging?
Unanswered question.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #45
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Unanswered question.
$89 full retail
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #46
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
$89 full retail
I'd give that a shot.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #47
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
This remote has ceased to work and I have ordered two new ones
Another problem. I got my two new remotes but am having problems with both. They are Humax remotes and the Mute buttons and the Volume buttons do not work on either one.

Also, are Humax remotes programmable for 9 channels or just two. My two Series 3 Units are set for channels 1 and 2. My Toshiba Tivo w/DVR is set for channel 4.

My original and still working Tivo remote is set for channel 1 on the one setting and channel 4 on the two setting. It properly controls one Series 3 unit and the Toshiba.

I tried to set one of my new Humax remotes for channel 2 on the one setting and channel 4 on the two setting so it should control the other Series 3 unit and the Toshiba unit. It doesn't.

With the setting in the right hand number two position, it I hit the Tivo button to turn on the Toshiba, it pauses the Series 3 unit. It seems to be acting as if it was set to zero.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #48
JWhites

Why am I getting a mental image of Jack having like 20 TiVo's of different generations stacked on top of each other like my Grandfather did with TV's? lol
Highslide JS
Highslide JS

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
Austin Bike

You can find the Bluetooth remotes on eBay. I bid on one and lost it at $95, the bid went to $98.

The funny thing was that after I lost the auction I saw a premiere with a Bluetooth remote and won that auction for $85. I guess having a full unit scared people away.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #50
CharlesH

Quote:
Oh I must have missed that. You are correct that if channel 1 or channel 199 or any of the special On Demand channels are entered into TiVo, it will say "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)"
On the Series 2, you are remote-controlling the cable company box from the Tivo, so you just tune to the appropriate channel. The Series 3 does not support OnDemand. On the Series 4, it is accessed (when available) through a selection on "My Shows" that launches an application, not by going a particular channel.

Last edited by CharlesH : 07-14-2013 at 08:33 PM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #51
JWhites

That is correct Charles H.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #52
dsnotgood

Slides went for $50-60 when they came out.fyi
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #53
Sashieden

I've been using my android tablet as a remote. It makes browsing your recorded shows and guide so much nicer.
Sashieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #54
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashieden View Post
I've been using my android tablet as a remote. It makes browsing your recorded shows and guide so much nicer.
Tell us more.

PS to J White: I responded to your stacked Tivo post days ago, but it never made it here. I only have 5, three in service but all working.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #55
Sashieden

The menu is exactly the same except it is displayed on your tablet instead of your television. You can browse your complete recorded shows library and when you find something out want to watch, touch it and it starts playing on your TV. You're able to browse, edit, and create season passes and wish list tasks. Only thing you can't do is browse into Netflix or on demand or the other vod apps.
Sashieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #56
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Attempting to use a tablet or phone as a "remote" is the worst remote EVER. I know, I have tried it. A glass touchscreen has zero feel. It can't really be one handed. You have to "wake up" the device every time. You have to navigate to the app every single time something else happens, unless it is a dedicated device. You have to LOOK at the screen to do anything. Battery life sucks compared to a real remote. Too large. Etc.

No thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #57
Bigg

Quote:
Attempting to use a tablet or phone as a "remote" is the worst remote EVER. I know, I have tried it. A glass touchscreen has zero feel. It can't really be one handed. You have to "wake up" the device every time. You have to navigate to the app every single time something else happens, unless it is a dedicated device. You have to LOOK at the screen to do anything. Battery life sucks compared to a real remote. Too large. Etc.

No thanks
Agreed. I love my peanut!!!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote