TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #91
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

I can imagine if I tried to find every little item that doesn't make sense I would enjoy this show much less.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #92
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
I can imagine if I tried to find every little item that doesn't make sense I would enjoy this show much less.
It is harder to NOT find them.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #93
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
It is harder to NOT find them.
Maybe I should have said dwell on them, I noticed quite a few things but shrugged and moved on.

My wife and I went to a movie a few weeks ago, World War Z and on the way home she commented on something that was not believable. I laughed noting that at a movie about zombies you had an issue about that?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #94
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Maybe I should have said dwell on them, I noticed quite a few things but shrugged and moved on.

My wife and I went to a movie a few weeks ago, World War Z and on the way home she commented on something that was not believable. I laughed noting that at a movie about zombies you had an issue about that?
But at the very least the world you are creating should make sense.

We all get that it is fiction. Even science-fiction to a certain extent.

But what sucks you into a story - even one that is not real - is the ability to make it FEEL real. When you read something like Harry Potter, for example, you KNOW it isn't real, but the author creates a world for us that we can believe.

When it comes to The Dome, King did a much better job in the book of making the situation believable. But it is difficult to believe a lot of what is going on in the TV show because they are screwing up the most obvious details - things that have NOTHING to do with the Dome. Just regular, common sense details.

It's hard to ignore...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #95
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
But at the very least the world you are creating should make sense.

We all get that it is fiction. Even science-fiction to a certain extent.

But what sucks you into a story - even one that is not real - is the ability to make it FEEL real. When you read something like Harry Potter, for example, you KNOW it isn't real, but the author creates a world for us that we can believe.

When it comes to The Dome, King did a much better job in the book of making the situation believable. But it is difficult to believe a lot of what is going on in the TV show because they are screwing up the most obvious details - things that have NOTHING to do with the Dome. Just regular, common sense details.

It's hard to ignore...
maybe it's easier for me since I didn't read the book??
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #96
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
maybe it's easier for me since I didn't read the book??
I don't think so.

For example - you are in a situation where you are trapped. The only food available is what you are trapped with. Wouldn't it make LOGICAL SENSE to begin to ration what is available? Or to be worried that you might run out at some point?

No one in this scenario seems the least bit concerned about basic survival. They make a passing comment about running out of bacon. No one seems worried or panicked about anything, except the one deputy (who played it so over-the-top it was difficult to believe).

Compare this to a Zombie show like The Walking Dead. They worry about zombies, but they also worry about basic survival. There are interesting characters with real human flaws and emotions. Even though it is about Zombies, it is MUCH more believable than The Dome.

Do you get what I am saying?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #97
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I understand what's being said here we also need to remember it's only been what....three days? Maybe it all hasn't sunk in yet?

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #98
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I understand what's being said here we also need to remember it's only been what....three days? Maybe it all hasn't sunk in yet?
I dunno - if I were in that situation, and getting NO information, I would be freaking out after 3 days. I would be scared, worried, SOMETHING.

These people are barely reacting. It isn't believable.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #99
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Whoops, sorry...post deleted. (You might want to follow suit!)

But that makes Bierboy's point even more applicable...in Episode 2, they were only in the first full day under the Dome.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #100
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Whoops, sorry...post deleted. (You might want to follow suit!)

But that makes Bierboy's point even more applicable...in Episode 2, they were only in the first full day under the Dome.
No worries!

I deleted mine, too. I read the book, so no big spoilers for me...

I would still be freaking out. Maybe not about specifics, but freaking out.

No one is freaking out!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #101
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I don't think so.

For example - you are in a situation where you are trapped. The only food available is what you are trapped with. Wouldn't it make LOGICAL SENSE to begin to ration what is available? Or to be worried that you might run out at some point?

No one in this scenario seems the least bit concerned about basic survival. They make a passing comment about running out of bacon. No one seems worried or panicked about anything, except the one deputy (who played it so over-the-top it was difficult to believe).

Compare this to a Zombie show like The Walking Dead. They worry about zombies, but they also worry about basic survival. There are interesting characters with real human flaws and emotions. Even though it is about Zombies, it is MUCH more believable than The Dome.

With the most recent episode, it's only been three days since the dome appeared. Sure there might be some people who would ration right away, but the majority of people would not have been thinking about it for the first few days.

It looks like the ratings have stabilized. It got 10.8 million viewers for the most recent episode which I think is pretty even with the manhunt episode ratings. Under the Dome is easily the most watched show right now for total viewers.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-16-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling doH!!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #102
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It looks like the ratings have stabilized. It got 10.8 million viewers for the most recent episode which I think is pretty even with the manhunt episode ratings. Under the Dome is easily the most watched show right now for total viewers.
With the general lack of other shows at the moment, it's kind of like we're all under a dome and have only it to watch, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #103
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

at least we have bacon!
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #104
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I dunno - if I were in that situation, and getting NO information, I would be freaking out after 3 days. I would be scared, worried, SOMETHING.

These people are barely reacting. It isn't believable.
Now it's ME who's all worried about the lack of food and oxygen....

XL4
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #105
TonyD79

Quote:

With the most recent episode, it's only been three days since the dome appeared. Sure there might be some people who would ration right away, but the majority of people would not have been thinking about it for the first few days.

Nonsense. People plan on stocking up and rationing if there is prediction of a snow storm around here. While a dome is new, planning for and being cut off from supplies happens in this country several times a year in different places.

Do you think people in Jersey didn't understand they had low gas supplies as soon as Sandy hit? Do you think it took them days?

People in hurricanes and other power outages put water in their tubs to flush toilets, etc., if they have wells.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #106
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

Most people start stocking up BEFORE the disaster starts. After it hits, bedlam. A significant part of all of our complaints comes down to one simple issue: None of these people are acting like a normal person would if a huge dome suddenly appeared. None of them.

I'm still watching, and I have huge issues with it. But it's mildly entertaining, and there's nothing else on. If this was Fall, the SP would be dust.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #107
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'm not sure if anyone else said this yet, but if I have one match left, I'd light something else on fire (like the matchbox) to extend the available time I have.

This show gets one more chance from me (I haven't watched the newest episode on my TiVo yet.) If it doesn't improve, I will light the season pass on fire.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Most people start stocking up BEFORE the disaster starts. After it hits, bedlam. A significant part of all of our complaints comes down to one simple issue: None of these people are acting like a normal person would if a huge dome suddenly appeared. None of them.

I'm still watching, and I have huge issues with it. But it's mildly entertaining, and there's nothing else on. If this was Fall, the SP would be dust.
But how would people act? They would certainly not all act the same way. For instance I would not go near the edge of the dome and certainly not touch it. But I'm sure other people would.
And if people think it will be a temporary thing, why would you even consider rationing. Not until after a few days that it sinks in that the dome might last a while would certain people even think about rationing.

I would also think many people would be sure the government would find a way in quickly so there would be no worries. Only after a certain amount of time passes would that thinking change.

I would think panic would not start to set in for most people until several days have passed. And we are only on day three of the Dome with the most recent episode. Having the situation that just happened in the 07/12/2013 episode would probably get alot of people thinking about what could happen in the future.

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-17-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: removed spoiler
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #109
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
You should spoilerize the last sentence of your post.
KyleLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #110
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
But how would people act? They would certainly not all act the same way. For instance I would not go near the edge of the dome and certainly not touch it. But I'm sure other people would.
And if people think it will be a temporary thing, why would you even consider rationing. Not until after a few days that it sinks in that the dome might last a while would certain people even think about rationing.

I would also think many people would be sure the government would find a way in quickly so there would be no worries. Only after a certain amount of time passes would that thinking change.

I would think panic would not start to set in for most people until several days have passed. And we are only on day three of the Dome. Having the outbreak that just happened would probably get alot of people thinking about what is going to happen in the future.
The fact that NO ONE from the outside (the military, the government) is communicating with them would be the first thing that would panic me. They have repeatedly shown that the soldiers flat out ignore them - won't even make eye contact. That wouldn't freak you out???? I would be going out of my mind trying to find out WTF is going on. I would be standing at the "wall" with signs asking "WTF is going on?" I would be panicking if no one acknowledged my presence, much less my questions.

These people are NOT behaving the way people would behave in this situation. Not even REMOTELY. And that is why it isn't believable.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #111
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The fact that NO ONE from the outside (the military, the government) is communicating with them would be the first thing that would panic me. They have repeatedly shown that the soldiers flat out ignore them - won't even make eye contact. That wouldn't freak you out???? I would be going out of my mind trying to find out WTF is going on. I would be standing at the "wall" with signs asking "WTF is going on?" I would be panicking if no one acknowledged my presence, much less my questions.

These people are NOT behaving the way people would behave in this situation. Not even REMOTELY. And that is why it isn't believable.
I wouldn't be going near the edge of the dome. I would be keeping a healthy distance. I would be more worried about another dome coming down and slicing my arm off or worse. Or the dome shrinking and killing people in the process standing near it. At least in the first few days those would be my main concerns.

So if I had a generator with a nice supply of fuel, I would have spent the first few days mostly inside, and only gone outside to get info from other people that went to the edge of the dome. But I would not have gone with them.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #112
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
I wouldn't be going near the edge of the dome. I would be keeping a healthy distance. I would be more worried about another dome coming down and slicing my arm off or worse. Or the dome shrinking and killing people in the process standing near it. At least in the first few days those would be my main concerns.

So if I had a generator with a nice supply of fuel, I would have spent the first few days mostly inside, and only gone outside to get info from other people that went to the edge of the dome. But I would not have gone with them.
OK.

But would you be eating at the local diner wondering about the bacon supply?

Or going to a party?

These people are not acting as if there is a problem!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #113
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
OK.

But would you be eating at the local diner wondering about the bacon supply?

Or going to a party?

These people are not acting as if there is a problem!
If I was a teenager then yes, I would have gone to a party with the other teenagers. That sounds normal to me for a teenager, even with extraneous circumstances. I've seen teenagers have parties under almost any circumstance. So this sounds perfectly normal to me.

In the diner, that sounds probable too. Your average person is not initially going to be thinking this dome is going to last for weeks of years. They would think that whatever it is, the military/government would quickly find a way in, or that they caused it and it would disappear quickly. I still think that most people would not think about rationing until after a few days and then you start having the fear that the dome is not coming down quickly. And then start to realize that they could be in deep trouble with supplies running out.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #114
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, I think two things. First, it would be interesting to see if you would really be as calm and rational in a worldview-shattering experience as you think you would be. Maybe you would, who knows? No way to find out.

But I can guarantee, many (most?) people would not be. There would be all kinds of freaking out going on, along with the calm-and-rational and the in-denial. And that's what we're just not seeing.

I really think the writers are too focused on the individual people and their personal dramas to pay any attention to what would be happening to a society under these conditions.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #115
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
You should spoilerize the last sentence of your post.
Why? It doesn't "reveal" anything....I'm pickier than most about spoilers, but that simply doesn't require it.

XL4
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #116
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, I think two things. First, it would be interesting to see if you would really be as calm and rational in a worldview-shattering experience as you think you would be. Maybe you would, who knows? No way to find out.

But I can guarantee, many (most?) people would not be. There would be all kinds of freaking out going on, along with the calm-and-rational and the in-denial. And that's what we're just not seeing.

I really think the writers are too focused on the individual people and their personal dramas to pay any attention to what would be happening to a society under these conditions.
This.

I know I would be freaking out. NO WAY I would remain calm. I would be terrified!!! Even the one guy they showed freaking out (that deputy guy) was so unbelievable - either bad writing or bad acting or both.

I remember several years ago - not long after 9/11 - there was a huge blackout. We experienced it in NYC, and through some battery operated radios learned that several other east coast states were also without power.

People panicked. This was a ONE DAY event, and people panicked. Many thought it was another terrorist attack. No one could explain what was happening. Gas stations were not pumping. People were stuck with no public transportation. It was NUTS. And that was just HOURS. I cannot even imagine what it would have been like after 3 days.

This show is not making me believe that these people are in a bad situation.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #117
TonyD79

Quote:

If I was a teenager then yes, I would have gone to a party with the other teenagers. That sounds normal to me for a teenager, even with extraneous circumstances. I've seen teenagers have parties under almost any circumstance. So this sounds perfectly normal to me.

In the diner, that sounds probable too. Your average person is not initially going to be thinking this dome is going to last for weeks of years. They would think that whatever it is, the military/government would quickly find a way in, or that they caused it and it would disappear quickly. I still think that most people would not think about rationing until after a few days and then you start having the fear that the dome is not coming down quickly. And then start to realize that they could be in deep trouble with supplies running out.
You'd actually think the dome was temporary? Based on what?

I'm telling you, people treat snowstorms, which ARE temporary like the world is ending. But a dome, you'd just sit back and wait it out. Maybe. But you actually think it is normal to act like nothing is happening?

As for going near the dome. Most would. Recently, we had a tornado watch at my work. I work right next to BWI airport. It was serious enough that they evacuated the airport main level. We were told to get away from windows. What to most do? Go to the windows to watch.

Yes, there would be some in denial as you would be. But there would be a lot more thought, panic, planning.

To me, the teens are the only ones who acted close to normally. They held a "hurricane party" or were curious. The adults acted like there was a light breeze today.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #118
rich
Final answer?

Quote:

Yeah, this bothers me too. In the last episode we saw that the dome is still transparent when viewed from the outside. I just don't know what to make of this.

At least the sewer pipes haven't backed up yet (and why would that be?)

Last edited by rich : 07-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #119
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

But it's about Zombies so it's stupid and it sucks (I'm not a fan of horror) Only Zombie movie I ever liked was Shaun of the Dead, because it was a parody of Zombie movies Even that was stupid, but it made me laugh

Under the Dome isn't a piece of art. It's dumb summer fare. I take it for what it is. I think if you expected more, you'd be disappointed. Yeah, the characters act like self absorbed tools, but at least some of them are entertaining self absorbed fools

Spoiler about most recent episode:

Spoiler:
That said, I thought this week's episode did little to move the story along, and the story line seemed out of place for the show. I'm on the fence to keep watching....but still want to see why the dome was put there before I give up on the show.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #120
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
At least the sewer pipes haven't backed up yet (and why would that be?)
Wastewater treatment plants usually aren't that far outside of town, if at all.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote