TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #391
Bigg

There's going to be a ton of cheap TiVos on eBay when the new ones come out...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #392
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yeah, I was chatting with my wife today that we should sell the OLED soon before the price drops.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #393
cncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I expect September availability based on the timing of the FCC waiver request, the FCC certification on the new RF remote, the pace of sales on current Series 4 hardware, TiVo's late August earnings release, and release dates of previous boxes.
Do they usually announce details a while before release or not until they are available for purchase? I would like to know for sure (preferably soon) if there is going to be a new 4-tuner box for OTA that is compatible with Mini.
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #394
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
If I could make it happen, I'd solidify the TiVo user base against buying any newer product, until TiVo fixes/finishes what they already sold.
I'm glad that you ain't the king, because under your scenarios, we'd never get new products.

I love my TiVos. Are they perfect? Heck no. But they're the best DVR on the market, and they do a phenomenal job for me. 99.999% uptime, haven't missed 2-3 recordings in 2-3 years. I can't wait for the S5s to hit the market. I was ready to pull the trigger on another Elite when this thread started, so now I'll wait for the next gen.

Quote:
I'm still so intrigued by your bias, that I still wonder if you aren't part of a covert stealth effort to do PR for TiVo, under the guise of being an everyday Joe. Again, no offense intended. It just looks like PR, smells like PR, walks like PR, and talks like PR. I think we all know what the rest of that borrowed analogy ends with.
Best put on your tin foil hat, because there are lots of folks like him. Like me. We're unabashed TiVo fans.

One could spend all their effort focusing on what's wrong, like you do. Or one could enjoy the best DVR on the market. Like I do. I'm not ignorant of its faults and shortcomings, I just don't let it blind me to the good.

Both paths exist, which will you take?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #395
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm glad that you ain't the king, because under your scenarios, we'd never get new products.

I love my TiVos. Are they perfect? Heck no. But they're the best DVR on the market, and they do a phenomenal job for me. 99.999% uptime, haven't missed 2-3 recordings in 2-3 years. I can't wait for the S5s to hit the market. I was ready to pull the trigger on another Elite when this thread started, so now I'll wait for the next gen.
[...]
I was getting ready for another Elite as well. Have they said when these new ones will be available? They sound awesome. 6 tuners would be ideal in our scenario.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #396
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Do they usually announce details a while before release or not until they are available for purchase? I would like to know for sure (preferably soon) if there is going to be a new 4-tuner box for OTA that is compatible with Mini.
They usually announce a month or so before availability.

I am I'll guessing an October release after being on display for CEDIA in late September..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #397
lessd

Quote:
It took some time for the TiVo-HD (w/Lifetime) to drop from about $500 to about $339 now from the time the Series 4 came out, people on this forum may be well informed but the total population, not so much, and for a new TiVo customer the Lifetime cost is $500 + tax in many states, in March I got $545 each (on E-Bay) for two Series 4 two tuner TiVos with 1Tb drives in them as I upgraded to the TP-4, not too bad a deal.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #398
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
They usually announce a month or so before availability.

I am I'll guessing an October release after being on display for CEDIA in late September..
I'm guessing we might see an announcement around the time of TiVo's Q2 earnings on August 28th.

I suppose we could see some new software roll-out prior to the launch of the new hardware in late September or early October.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #399
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I'm guessing we might see an announcement around the time of TiVo's Q2 earnings on August 28th.

I suppose we could see some new software roll-out prior to the launch of the new hardware in late September or early October.
I would agree that we will finally hear it mentioned on the call just announcing the upcoming hardware release. I doubt we will get too much info. It only makes sense to show at CEDIA and release a week or two later.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #400
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
I can only say for me, but I have never once seen this issue on my Elite.
I've only seen the 'problem tuning channels' issue once on mine, and none since the Fall update last year.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #401
takeshi

Quote:
I'm also beginning to feel like somebody who dares to speak their mind, when their iPhone malfunctions, in an Apple fanboy forum, where everybody wants to tell you to "just leave", just because you aren't happy. There's a reason I don't buy Apple products. The TiVo "Community" is becoming more and more like the "Apple can do no wrong, and produces perfect products community", where if your product spontaneously combusts, everybody tells you it was the user, not the product. That's a community I want no part of.
Every brand and product has its fanboys. Apple certainly has a lot but there are still valid Apple discussions out there. Like anything else you always have to consider the (individual) source and you can't prejudge any group of people based solely on a subgroup. Further, you don't have to respond to the fanboys. I have also noticed a trend amongst the dissatisfied to assume that anyone else that isn't also dissatisfied to be a fanboy. The thing is that usage and needs/wants/preferences/priorities vary from person to person no matter what the topic. One has to keep in mind that the differences can and do affect an individual's satisfaction with any given solution.

Quote:
It just looks like PR, smells like PR, walks like PR, and talks like PR. I think we all know what the rest of that borrowed analogy ends with.
I think we all know how "When you assume..." ends as well.

Again, satisfaction is a highly subjective matter and it shouldn't be difficult to see that reflected in countless everyday examples in the real world. I've been very happy with my TivoHD but my expectations are just for it to be an appliance to collect recordings off cable. I don't use it for streaming, MRV or have any expectations for it to be the "one box" or whole household solution. Like others, I'm certainly aware of its shortcomings and Tivo's seemingly slow progress but compared to the alternatives I've tried it fits my needs and expectations very well. YMMV as with any subjective matter.

Last edited by takeshi : 07-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #402
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
It took some time for the TiVo-HD (w/Lifetime) to drop from about $500 to about $339 now from the time the Series 4 came out, people on this forum may be well informed but the total population, not so much, and for a new TiVo customer the Lifetime cost is $500 + tax in many states, in March I got $545 each (on E-Bay) for two Series 4 two tuner TiVos with 1Tb drives in them as I upgraded to the TP-4, not too bad a deal.
I think the increase in tuners and some people being able to consolidate down to fewer cable card(s) will drive a switch over rather rapidly. People with providers who offer low cost cable cards or use OTA and don't mind having a bunch of individual boxes are set to benefit.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #403
Joe3

I think we all stand firm despite any inessential difference of opinion base on individual circumstance. It is clear that everyone here wants the best out of TiVo in this next go round with the S5. Also, those who where around when the S3 first came out are hoping and excepting TiVo to return to at least that standard of quality, reliability, and innovation.

I almost feel sorry for those of you who came after the S3 was first released and had to settle for a lower quality standard that instead flooded you with a bunch of bells and whistle features with no real punch. The up side, if Tivo returns to that quality standard, you guys are gonna wet your pants. I guarantee it.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #404
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still don't get it. I had three S3 boxes I purchased in 2006. My S4 boxes have been better in almost every way. Especially cost. The S3 retailed for $800. The only TiVos I spent more on were my DirecTV HD TiVOs from Spring 2004.

I have no desire for the S5 to go back to that bulky, heavy, expensive box that the original S3 box was. Sure for a 2006 box it was good, but I don't want anything like it from a TiVo in 2013.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #405
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still don't get it. I had three S3 boxes I purchased in 2006. My S4 boxes have been better in almost every way. Especially cost. The S3 retailed for $800. The only TiVos I spent more on were my DirecTV HD TiVOs from Spring 2004.

I have no desire for the S5 to go back to that bulky, heavy, expensive box that the original S3 box was. Sure for a 2006 box it was good, but I don't want anything like it from a TiVo in 2013.
I actually agree... I loved my S3 when it first came out, the interface was speedy, HD was fantastic and the whole concept of CableCard worked well.

But it was a $700 device, WITHOUT service. That always annoyed me. They went the right route with the premier line. Cheaper hardware cheaper prices, now if they can only keep their pesky service fees in line!
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #406
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I wouldn't want to go back to that almost literally bullet-proof, heavy and bulky case, either. The quality of the Premiere cases is comparable to any other TV accessory, or most other consumer electronics device of this day/age.

I bought the last of the clearance TiVo HDs that BlockBuster had before they went under, AFTER buying my Premieres. Both the HDMI ports have failed mechanically on the TiVoHD units, which have been stacked with the Premieres on top, and given equal treatment/care. So, I don't see much of a quality in form-factor argument.

I also agree with an earlier post, by somebody, that if the quality of the parts that truly matter, inside the new product line are like what the S3 OLED was, back in it's prime-time, and are such a big leap, performance-wise, compared to what came before, we'll all wet ourselves.

I'm expecting to be underwhelmed and disappointed, so that IF they do it RIGHT this time, I can be the exact polar opposite.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #407
jfh3

Quote:
I can only say for me, but I have never once seen this issue on my Elite.

Ditto. I have two early Elites and have never seen the untuned channel issue.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #408
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
The dual tuner Premiere with lifetime never cost $800. The absolute worst case would have been $700 for the first one and $600 for the second and you would have had to try hard to have paid that much. However for most of it's life the dual tuner Premiere has been offered to existing customers for $500+/- with lifetime almost continuously.

I'm pretty sure Tivo sold them for $300 plus $500 for lifetime or $800 at launch.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #409
trip1eX

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said about the laggy UI and such, but the Premiere does support VOD, it's just up to the cable provider to support it. Blame your cable company if they chose not to support it. Not that VOD is that great in the first place.
The effect is the same to the consumer. NO VoD. Not that I really like VoD. The interface sucks in the VoD setups I've used - Comcast and FiOS although I remember Comcast more than FiOS. But it is handy if you miss a show or hear about a show that was just launched a few weeks ago and want to see the first couple episodes. Also good if you are recording more shows than you have tuners. YOu can drop a show that is already on VoD.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #410
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I'm pretty sure Tivo sold them for $300 plus $500 for lifetime or $800 at launch.
Nope. When the Premiere launched it was still $299 for MSD and $399 for new lifetimers.

When they dropped the price to $99 they rolled out the new lifetime rates at $399 and $499. This is how some people picked up the Premiere for $400 because they got the $99 Premiere prior to the new lifetime rates being announced on a Sunday. Electronics Expo shipped the $99 TiVos early.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #411
atmuscarella

Quote:
Nope never sold for that much. If you would like to see the price points TiVo offered the Premiere at, I tracked them in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484973

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #412
Bigg

Quote:
The effect is the same to the consumer. NO VoD. Not that I really like VoD. The interface sucks in the VoD setups I've used - Comcast and FiOS although I remember Comcast more than FiOS. But it is handy if you miss a show or hear about a show that was just launched a few weeks ago and want to see the first couple episodes. Also good if you are recording more shows than you have tuners. YOu can drop a show that is already on VoD.
It's really not that useful. I've used it a couple of times, but I didn't miss it when I didn't have it (MCE and TiVo pre-VOD rollout in my market).

The problem with TiVo and VOD is that you may not have a tuner available to use it, so you may not be able to get to VOD at a busy time. Better to just record everything like TiVo was meant to do.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #413
lessd

Quote:
Nope. When the Premiere launched it was still $299 for MSD and $399 for new lifetimers.

When they dropped the price to $99 they rolled out the new lifetime rates at $399 and $499. This is how some people picked up the Premiere for $400 because they got the $99 Premiere prior to the new lifetime rates being announced on a Sunday. Electronics Expo shipped the $99 TiVos early.
That was exactly how it worked, also if you had purchased a TP before the price drop and called TiVo they would give you the old Lifetime price. Some people did cheat on this process, there was also a time when TiVo gave some good customers a Lifetime price of $199 for a new $99 TiVo. There was some real anger about this $199 price because some bragged about it and other could not get that price.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #414
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, I picked up and resold a couple of $99 Premieres at the $199 lifetime price during that short window of time, made a couple hundred bucks on each I think.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #415
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
That was exactly how it worked, also if you had purchased a TP before the price drop and called TiVo they would give you the old Lifetime price. Some people did cheat on this process, there was also a time when TiVo gave some good customers a Lifetime price of $199 for a new $99 TiVo. There was some real anger about this $199 price because some bragged about it and other could not get that price.
They also offered lifetime for $199 for the Premiere at launch. To owners of the S3 boxes. But they were also charging more for the actual box a launch too.

I just hope they do some deals for the S5 launch too.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #416
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep, I picked up and resold a couple of $99 Premieres at the $199 lifetime price during that short window of time, made a couple hundred bucks on each I think.
Your bragging now, and some on this forum may get angry again about not getting that deal.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #417
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
WHAT!!!!????? I never got that deal!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #418
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Your bragging now, and some on this forum may get angry again about not getting that deal.
The original thread from that time, when that one-day loophole was in effect turned into a real DISASTER!

TiVo didn't have to honor that loophole. They could've used their legal might against the retailers that released the lower-priced units early, and just forced a refund of the purchase price. Instead, TiVo took the high road.

That's all anybody needs to know. If you want to dig into the subject, that old thread still exists.

Please, let's not turn this thread into what became of that one, and just drop the subject. It's old news, ancient history, now. It happened, it's over, and bragging about it WILL get people angry, or trying to get something that I'm VERY sure TiVo won't let happen again.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #419
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
WHAT!!!!????? I never got that deal!!!!!!

amazon even had them at $75, but i dont remember if it was in the cheap lifetime price window. regardless, still a great price

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #420
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Nope never sold for that much. If you would like to see the price points TiVo offered the Premiere at, I tracked them in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484973
Oh really? Ok.

I think my points still stands which was that the Premiere was expensive at release even if it was just $700 and not $800.