TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
dmcghee

Can I run a Tivo Premier XL4 without hooking it up to TV (Crazy...but with reason)

I live in a 1939 Lathe and Plaster home with a tiny crawl space and no attic...So getting CAT5 or CAT6 wiring to the Premier XL4 is nearly impossible (not sure how they got cable in their, but have had contractor after contractor out, and with out huge cost its a non-starter).

So, I want to move the Premier XL4 into my office closet with router, then use Tivo Mini's on all of my TV's. Just want to make sure that's possible before buying the mini's and getting the subscriptions.

Thanks for your advice,

Dave
dmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
dmcghee

By the way, tried the Actiontec Moca adapter...two actually. They aren't working at all. Get 3 green lights, but Tivo what recognize them.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Headless is not an issue,
but you're limited to 2 mini's hung off it.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
dhoward

How are you connecting the Mini to the Premier if you cannot run either coax or Ethernet? They do not work wirelessly.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Headless is not an issue,
but you're limited to 2 mini's hung off it.
You can only dedicate up to 2 tuners for providing live TV to minis but I thought you could have more minis on your network.

I know you can stream (recorded shows) to 3 devices simultaniously; try more than that and you apparently get a message "The host DVR has reached its limit of client DVRs"
Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcghee View Post
By the way, tried the Actiontec Moca adapter...two actually. They aren't working at all. Get 3 green lights, but Tivo what recognize them.
You only need one adapter. You have to get the MOCA working. Have you properly set up the XL4 for MOCA? Without MOCA, the MINIs can't communicate/see the XL4.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
You can only dedicate up to 2 tuners for providing live TV to minis but I thought you could have more minis on your network.

I know you can stream (recorded shows) to 3 devices simultaniously; try more than that and you apparently get a message "The host DVR has reached its limit of client DVRs"
ahh, I thought another thread had reference to a 2 mini to Premiere 4 ratio
Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
dmcghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
How are you connecting the Mini to the Premier if you cannot run either coax or Ethernet? They do not work wirelessly.
The mini's are all connected with Coax via the Moca Bridge built into the Premiere. The issues is getting internet connection with the host (premiere). The Moca Adapter did not work -- an ethernet connection does, to expensive to get ethernet to the host.

Could I use a wireless bridge between my router and my host, and then use the host moca bridge (coax) to connect the minis?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
dmcghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
ahh, I thought another thread had reference to a 2 mini to Premiere 4 ratio

I was told by Tivo I can only have two Mini's connected to a host. If I wanted more Mini's I would need another Premier.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
dmcghee

UCLABB -

I believe I have the Moca Adapter set up correctly. I followed the instructions that came with the adapter, then followed all the troubleshooting suggestions keep getting the following errors:

NO2, NO9, C1, C33 -- all at different times throughout the troubleshooting process.
It can't be the network because I never lose internet connectivity, and when I string a CAT6 cable through the hall to the Premiere it works.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I was told by Tivo I can only have two Mini's connected to a host. If I wanted more Mini's I would need another Premier.
i KNEW I heard it somewhere!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
dhoward

I am sorry if I am missing something here but do you have the P4 connected to your cable system via coax? In order for the P4 tuner to get cable tv you have to have that connection otherwise there is nothing to record or watch. I apologize if I am misunderstanding your situation in advance. The mini can only see what the host is getting and if there is no video going into the host there is nothing for the mini. As I read your first entry it seems like you only have an ethernet connection from the router to the P4. I am not familar with moca but I believe you still need the coax connection to the P4 also. Maybe I am wrong and someone else can comment. Does your router have a coax pass thru and that is what you are using? Or is there coax already in the closet? Where is the cable modem and how did that get connected to the router?

Last edited by dhoward : 07-16-2013 at 08:42 PM.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
dmcghee

dhoward-
I do have it hooked up to coax/cable. The problem was getting the Moca to work. The Moca adapters didn't work for me -- two attempts. I could get it to work with ethernet (cable strewn through my house to get it to the P4), but would be too expensive to rewaire my house.

I did solve the problem, in a way TIVO said wouldn't work ... wirelessly.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
dmcghee

Problem fixed...wirelessly

Thanks for all your input. I took a flyer to see if I could connect my P4 wirelessly to my network and still use the Mini's (creating a Moca network wirelessly).

TIVO told me it would not work. But, after talking to Apple (I uses Airport Extreme as my wireless router), was convinced it would work and it did.

Airport Express connects wirelessly to my home network, ethernet out from Express to P4. Create Moca connection using coax out on P4 (it is a Moca Bridge), then coax to each Mini...blazing fast, crystal clear picture, full functionality.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
mattack

I would bet you need to hook it to a TV *to set it up*. I presume you can't do that over a Mini.

Also, Tivo may have said it "wouldn't work", but I think more accurately, it's not supported. That is, it might work, but if you have problems, don't go complaining to them.
(I used my Tivos over a Wifi bridge for a long time, and even used netflix streaming sometimes.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for all your input. I took a flyer to see if I could connect my P4 wirelessly to my network and still use the Mini's (creating a Moca network wirelessly)
I don't think you have. I don't really see how it is possible to create a "Multimedia Over Coax" network wirelessly. You are using the P4 and a wireless bridge to wirelessly bridge your MOCA network to your Ethernet.

Quote:
TIVO told me it would not work. But, after talking to Apple (I uses Airport Extreme as my wireless router), was convinced it would work and it did.
I don't know what they told you wouldn't work. What is not supported is connecting the minis to the TiVos wirelessly.

Quote:
Airport Express connects wirelessly to my home network, ethernet out from Express to P4. Create Moca connection using coax out on P4 (it is a Moca Bridge), then coax to each Mini...blazing fast, crystal clear picture, full functionality.
And the only wireless portion is the Premieres connection to the router.

Why were you connecting a MOCA adapter to the XL4? It should be used to connect your cable to your router (actually to the built-in switch), bridging the two networks. Then you wouldn't need the wireless bridge.

As far as it being "nearly impossible" to run Cat5 cable - do you have no baseboards?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
dmcghee

lpwcomp-

I can see by your responses you completely missunderstand the situation. I wasn't trying to create a Moca Wirelessly. Tivo did tell me "it will not work." I was not connecting the Moca adapter to the P4.

Re-read the post, then try being constructive.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
lpwcomp

Quote:
lpwcomp-

I can see by your responses you completely missunderstand the situation. I wasn't trying to create a Moca Wirelessly. Tivo did tell me "it will not work." I was not connecting the Moca adapter to the P4.

Re-read the post, then try being constructive.
Quote:
Which part of "Tivo what(sic) recognize them." did I misunderstand?

Quote:
Thanks for all your input. I took a flyer to see if I could connect my P4 wirelessly to my network and still use the Mini's (creating a Moca network wirelessly).

Which part of "creating a Moca network wirelessly" did I misunderstand?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
UCLABB

McGhee,You need to start over again! So many errors and ambiguities in your posts that it is hard to figure out whats going on.

You need ONE adapter at your router location.

You need to make sure that the P4 is set up for MOCA in the connection menu.

You may have to reboot everything including the router to get everything working.

I'd forget about having the P4 in a closet. One, you are wasting your money having to have an extra Mini. Two, the menus using the Mini are limited- no ToDo list for example.

Concentrate on getting the MOCA working. For me and most others it is very simple.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote