TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #31
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I think they should rename the series: Will they #@<%?
Not with severely burned "parts that have never seen sun" they won't. See the sunburned guy cringe when hugged?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
2004raptor

Maybe I missed it but what was the girls item she brought on the show? I assume the guys was the hatchet/axe but I must have accidentally ff'ed through that part.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Not with severely burned "parts that have never seen sun" they won't. See the sunburned guy cringe when hugged?
We're only three episodes into the season. It's got to come up eventually. You know what they say, "where there's a will, there's a way". 21 days is a long time to spend, alone, with a naked, fit, member of the opposite sex. I believe the crew leaves overnight. hubba hubba.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
latrobe7
Just one more thing

The girl's item was a lighter.

I'm also fair-skinned and have had some horrific sunburns over the years. I've been burned probably about 2/3 as bad as he was, twice (except I had swim trunks), and both times I was feverish and nauseous for 12-24 hours and in pain for several days (and I had water, shelter and aloe). I don't think I would have made it through the first two days if I'd been exposed as much as he was.

And that's why I could not believe he was staying out in the sun as much as he was the first day! While he seemed to know he was in trouble and needed shade, I didn't think he was nearly urgent enough. I was thinking if that were me, I would be hiding in the shade immediately, and gradually exposing myself to the sun and getting a base-burn and letting it heal a little before going out in the midday sun for more than a few minutes. No way would I have doddled on the beach or tried that swim in the middle of the day. I would have waited until twilight or better yet, the next morning to swim to the big island. I think he underestimated how debilitating a severe sunburn is and how vulnerable he was.

The water thing was another fiasco - whatever happened with water, anyway? I assume they lived off coconut water the whole time?
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #35
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Did anyone catch their final scores? My recording cut off before they got to that part.

She definetly had the best tanlines going in so far of any of the contestants.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post

I'm also fair-skinned and have had some horrific sunburns over the years. I've been burned probably about 2/3 as bad as he was, twice (except I had swim trunks), and both times I was feverish and nauseous for 12-24 hours and in pain for several days (and I had water, shelter and aloe). I don't think I would have made it through the first two days if I'd been exposed as much as he was.

And that's why I could not believe he was staying out in the sun as much as he was the first day! While he seemed to know he was in trouble and needed shade, I didn't think he was nearly urgent enough. I was thinking if that were me, I would be hiding in the shade immediately, and gradually exposing myself to the sun and getting a base-burn and letting it heal a little before going out in the midday sun for more than a few minutes. No way would I have doddled on the beach or tried that swim in the middle of the day. I would have waited until twilight or better yet, the next morning to swim to the big island. I think he underestimated how debilitating a severe sunburn is and how vulnerable he was.

The water thing was another fiasco - whatever happened with water, anyway? I assume they lived off coconut water the whole time?
Agreed. Yet in his pre-arrival commentary he correctly expressed concern about the sun. Go figure. It's like he somehow stopped thinking once he met the au natural surfer girl on the beach. Heh.

They seemed to lack a container that could be used to hold water for boiling.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #37
fmowry

Quote:

It did end up raining a lot but I wasn't sure what day it was. I assume they caught that and bottled it for drinking water and lived on coconuts until then.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
philw1776

Rained the last 3 days
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #39
kar74
hi.

Quote:

I also agree in wondering why he didn't begin with limited sun exposure. It's not like they had to be anywhere fast. Sure, it's great to set up camp, but it would've been a lot better if he were in the right frame of mind (physically and mentally) to contribute while in survival mode.

I've only seen 3 episodes now and am impressed at the survivalist mode the women are capable of shifting into. I haven't been too impressed with the men yet.
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #40
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Naked Castaway is excellent. It's as pure survival as you can get. Like Survivorman the host is alone and does all his own filming. However, he beats even Les Stroud by being dumped on a deserted island totally naked. He doesn't even get the "personal item" they're allowed on Naked and Afraid. I highly recommend it.
Just watched all three hours of this in a row and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #41
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Did anyone catch their final scores? My recording cut off before they got to that part.
The guy went from 6.9 to 7.2. The girl went from 8.0 to 8.4.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #42
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
I also agree in wondering why he didn't begin with limited sun exposure.
It didn't look like there was much, if any, usable cover on the small island. Still, it seems like almost anything would have been better than swimming a mile in the midday sun.

The amount of trash she found was truly disgusting.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #43
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
It didn't look like there was much, if any, usable cover on the small island. Still, it seems like almost anything would have been better than swimming a mile in the midday sun.

The amount of trash she found was truly disgusting.
She should have knit him a sweater out of fronds. I missed the first 10 minutes though so I didn't catch the transition from small to large island.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #44
jeepair

He did have some palm fronds over his back in one or two shots. I'm surprised they didn't build a filter for that water. They had plenty of bottles. Put a large bottle on the bottom, put a few sand and charcoal bottles above it and walla fresh water.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #45
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
The guy went from 6.9 to 7.2. The girl went from 8.0 to 8.4.
Thanks.

Did anyone notice when they were looking at the map in the beginning they hadn't blurred out part of her bush?
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #46
Hank
AC•FTW

Also, did anyone notice that the "swim" between the two islands looks like a pretty shallow sand berm? It was obvious in one shot of the two islands at the start of the show, but in other shots, they made it look really deep (with sharks!). Somehow I really do not think a TV production staff would allow two naked people to swim a mile in shark infested waters. Unless they were also trying to get some great footage fro Shark Week.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
kar74
hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post

Thanks.

Did anyone notice when they were looking at the map in the beginning they hadn't blurred out part of her bush?
Lol! I did notice that and had to do a double take. Oopsie! I wonder if those two actually kept in touch once the show was over. She seemed too much of a free spirit for him.

So, I have decided last week's pot was one of the best items brought along for survival (had it been bigger, it would've been perfect). As far as another item goes, I am torn. Fire can be made with the right tools as well as a spear/knife. What else would you bring with you? (Too bad sunscreen wasn't an option. :-P )
Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #48
Ment

The couple that went into hyena-land went thru hell, this weeks peeps were amateurs.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
She should have knit him a sweater out of fronds.
That girl was like the professor from Gilligan's Island. Amazing.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #50
justen_m

She was awesome.

Throwing a dude into that situation when you KNOW he is a ginger? Not cool. I am part native american (Chippewa), and never burn in N Wisconsin. But at the equator? Even this red blood will burn down there.

I didn't like this episode.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #51
sieglinde

Yeah, if you notice the local people in the Equatorial zone hang out in forests and live in huts. African Americans can get sun burns.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #52
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Wow, the guy this week (Panama) was a wuss. Once again, the female half of the team carries her load and then some. I can't believe he brought those goggles, built the spear (which looked pretty good) and then wimped out in the water.

meh
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #53
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Wow, the guy this week (Panama) was a wuss. Once again, the female half of the team carries her load and then some. I can't believe he brought those goggles, built the spear (which looked pretty good) and then wimped out in the water.
The guy made me think what it would be like if Kenny Powers/Danny McBride were to appear on this show. All talk and no action. And bringing the goggles (!) cracked me up. Hey, I'm a big tough survivalist. Listen up, little lady, because you can learn a lot from me. But I'm afraid of snakes...and bats...and alligators...and sharks...and water!
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #54
Ment

This week another doofus paired with a competent female partner. Instead of a firestarter tool he chooses goggles and then scaredy-pants out of the water when he has a chance to use them.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #55
john4200

So, what have we learned from this show?

Here are some things I think I would do in their place:

1) First priority is to sit down for perhaps an hour to think and plan. This includes some form of conflict resolution method since everyone gets cranky when they are thirsty/hungry/cold. Maybe give each person one or two vetoes per day, and alternate days with each person in charge. Create a day-by-day travel plan to the extraction point. Divide up the critical jobs for the first couple days: water, fire, food, shelter, weapons.

2) Before setting out, highest priority is protecting your body. In most places, this means immediately fabricating some crude shoes -- even if it just means tying some thick leaves or some bark onto the soles of your feet. It may also include fashioning a crude hat and/or poncho to prevent sunburn.

3) Work your butt off the first few days -- since you presumably ate and drank well during the period before the contest -- your energy level will be down after the first few days unless you find a lot of food. If it is dry your first day, collect a lot of wood and get it under cover in case it rains later.

4) I cannot imagine a situation where it would be smart to choose a personal item other than a blade (hunting knife, axe, or machete), fire-starter, or a metal pot. The blade is the most critical. The choice between a fire-starter or a metal pot depends on whether you need to boil your drinking water and whether you can find or make something to boil the water in or to start a fire.

I've noticed that they never had both of the partners choosing a blade. Is there some system that keeps them from choosing the same thing? (I usually fast forward through most of the preliminary stuff)

Last edited by john4200 : 07-15-2013 at 09:44 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #56
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
This week another doofus paired with a competent female partner. Instead of a firestarter tool he chooses goggles and then scaredy-pants out of the water when he has a chance to use them.
The goggles were stupid. I wasn't sure what to make of his retreat from the water. Did he actually see a shark, or did he just imagine it?

While he did seem cowardly, the woman seemed a bit too gung-ho sometimes, particularly when she was thinking about attacking the adult alligator thing (I cannot remember what they called the actual species). Attacking the adult alligator is nuts. At least she decided not to do it.

I was thinking they could have fashioned a kind of heavy spear with the machete on the end of a pole. If they could have chopped the head off that big snake, that would have provided a fair bit of meat. Or not, I don't know how hard it is to kill a boa (was it in fact a boa?).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #57
kar74
hi.

The goggles were definitely stupid. Especially for such a survivalist "diva" who seemed to fear everything, including water. He was the worst contestant out there that I've seen so far. If I were his partner I think I would've accidentally stabbed him with his spear after hearing him whine about the lack of protein for the 386,622nd time. :-/
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #58
jeepair

Pretty sure there is some type of communication before hand so the contestants wont each bring a knife.

Goggles were a good idea if he was 100% sure he could start a fire in a wet environment with bamboo. Would have been better if he researched spear fishing etc. Great trap built by the female.

There was tons of food around them each night, insects etc. Could have researched building traps. I'm guessing most of the people (men) figure they can go 21 days without food and slim down from being overweight.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #59
philw1776

After watching these contestants, I am turning in my man card. May go transgendered. Depressing how wimpy the last male contestant was. The girl is typical of our New Hampshire outdoor women. Pretty tough. Great sense of humor.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #60
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

These two were quite fortunate compared to the other episodes. Relatively plenty to eat, not a lot of rain, no debilitating sunburns, no life-threatening infections, etc.

Not mention fresh clean water running right out of the hillside. How nice was that?

I wonder why the girl didn't build more lobster traps, especially after the first one paid off.

meh