TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
ghiggz

Moca vs Wireless n adapter

My family has a TiVo Premiere 4 that is connected to the internet and the TiVo service with TiVo's wireless N network adapter. We're very unhappy with the performance of the adapter. Streaming is extremely slow, and the interface as a whole seems sluggish.

I've done some research into alternative ways of connecting our TiVo to the internet, and so far MoCA seems like the best bet, but I wanted to see what you guys think before I order an adapter. So here are some questions:

1. How many MoCA adapters do I need? I thought I needed two, but then I heard that the Premiere 4 is already MoCA enabled so I'll only need one. Is this correct?

2. How much faster/stable are MoCA connections compared to wireless N and standard ethernet connections? Is streaming going to finally be enjoyable? How much of an improvement am I going to notice going from the wireless N adapter to MoCA?

3. What else do I need besides a MoCA adapter? Do I really need any POE filters?

4. Any tips or tricks with regards to MoCA?
ghiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It could be interference in the wireless channel that's causing the slowdown. Try changing the channel on the router and the adapter, try channel 1, 6, or 11. Note the neighbors wireless channels and try one with the fewest used. After all that and its not better, you can try moca. You need the router and coax close by to hook up the adapters, splitters,etc.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
jcthorne

With a Premiere 4, you will only need one MOCA adaptor to get the data from your router onto your coax cable network. It can be placed wherever your router (for a hardwired Ethernet connection) and a coax outlet are located. Its just a bridge between the two media.

As for speed, its roughly equivalent to 100baseTx Ethernet. Pleanty fast enough for streaming to your TiVo. Your ISP will be the limit, not the moca connection. Reliability is near 100% as there is no interference, no loss of connection.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggz View Post
1. How many MoCA adapters do I need? I thought I needed two, but then I heard that the Premiere 4 is already MoCA enabled so I'll only need one. Is this correct?
You'll need only one unless your internet is provided by verizon fios, in which case you probably won't need any as MOCA is built into the verizon fios router.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggz View Post
My family has a TiVo Premiere 4 that is connected to the internet and the TiVo service with TiVo's wireless N network adapter. We're very unhappy with the performance of the adapter. Streaming is extremely slow, and the interface as a whole seems sluggish.

I've done some research into alternative ways of connecting our TiVo to the internet, and so far MoCA seems like the best bet, but I wanted to see what you guys think before I order an adapter. So here are some questions:

2. How much faster/stable are MoCA connections compared to wireless N and standard ethernet connections? Is streaming going to finally be enjoyable? How much of an improvement am I going to notice going from the wireless N adapter to MoCA?

3. What else do I need besides a MoCA adapter? Do I really need any POE filters?

4. Any tips or tricks with regards to MoCA?
If your just using TiVo Premiere 4 you only need one MoCA adapter, however if you want to add a Playstation or XBox then you will need two and a network bridge or switch. This is what I did with my TiVo Premiere and Playstation work great. Yes you will need a POE filter.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
If your just using TiVo Premiere 4 you only need one MoCA adapter, however if you want to add a Playstation or XBox then you will need two and a network bridge or switch. This is what I did with my TiVo Premiere and Playstation work great. Yes you will need a POE filter.
The Premiere 4 and XL4 have a built in ethernet bridge, so all you need for a Playstation, Blu-ray, or other network device is an ethernet switch connected to the Premiere.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
dmcghee

Update:
I went wireless N, instead of Moca adapter....working great! Make sure your wireless router and extender are high quality. I use Apples Airport Extreme as wireless router and Airport Express as extender (connected to P4)...works great!

Previous:
I have been very disappointed with the Moca adapter (not the Moca Bridge in the Premiere which works well). I have gone through two adapters with little success.

I'm thinking of using Apple Aiport Extreme to bridge my wireless router and the Premiere ... but I will still use Primiere to bride Moca (for my Mini's). Has anyone tried this? Will it work?

Last edited by dmcghee : 07-16-2013 at 10:20 PM.
dmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
prosperodgc

I'm also very interested in the idea of using an Apple Express as a wireless-to-wired Ethernet bridge, to stream content from a TiVo Mini to a Premiere box connected via Ethernet to the router elsewhere in the house. Would LOVE to hear of others' experiences with this arrangement!
prosperodgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I dumped the Apple AirPort Express setup last year and replaced it with a MoCA bridge, connected over coax to the XL4/Elite, and then plugged a cheap ethernet switch into the TiVo to connect BD player, PS3, etc.

Way faster, no dropped connections, no wasted wireless bandwidth for devices that actually need wireless (like laptops, phones, etc.) and streaming is super-fast now between TiVo boxes and also for all devices hanging off the TiVo's ethernet port.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
scole250

Wireless N will work, but only (reliably) if you have a good access point, good signal and no other wireless devices to share the bandwidth with. Even a good signal will only provide maybe 80Mbps throughput. All you need is another wireless client checking email and and little interference and you can see pauses if streaming HD. Total bandwidth is shared among wireless clients. If you're only getting 60Mps speed and you have 3 N clients, each will only get 20Mbps speed. A lot of factors with N speed. MoCA can stream up to 150-200Mbps. MoCa is a bus too though, but doesn't have unpredictable speed due to signal quality like wireless N.