TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Doit2it

Tivo HD motherboard failure options

I think my TivoHD motherboard just went bad. No lights on the front, no Ethernet lights on the back, no fan spin up, no startup picture, but the hard drive spins up.

Troubleshooting: Press Tivo button to make sure it wasn't in standby mode. Replaced the power supply with one from a working Tivo HD. Replaced the hard drive with one from a working TivoHD. Still dead after each procedure. Also the PS from the bad TivoHD worked fine in the good TivoHD.

Tivo wants $350 to replace ($149 for new Tivo and $199 to xfer Lifetime). I've considered the WeaKness repair option, but it's $99 to diagnose plus undisclosed amount for repairs. Has anyone here used the WeaKness repair on a Tivo HD motherboard failure? Are there any other options to consider? Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Are there any other options to consider? Thanks in advance.
Probably not. Not based on what you described.

For anyone other than Tivo or Weaknees to fix your bad motherboard AND still maintain the lifetime membership is going to be very dicey, at best.

Unless you want to purchase a completely different Tivo and pay for the lifetime on that box then your choices are probably going to be limited to the two options that you already mentioned.

Perhaps weaknees would be willing to give you a straight up quote on what it would cost to switch out a motherboard? Going that route would be a risk on your part, but perhaps it would be worth it to you.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Doit2it

I tried using the WeaKnees forum to ask if they'd every heard of my issue and did they think they could repair it. The moderator never even posted my question which leads me to believe they couldn't fix it, but didn't want to admit it on the forums. They posted two other questions in they time I waited, so I don't think the mod was on vacation or something. Oh well.

I just got off the phone with Tivo. Since the Premier is $149 right now I asked if I could get that instead of a TivoHD as a replacement. They said no but reduced my replacement cost by $75 so it's $275 instead of $350 total (+taxes). Hope I don't have any other motherboard issues in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
True Colors

Three of the most common points of failure for Tivos are

power supply
hard drive
motherboard

The first two things are very easy to fix yourself. The last one is a complete nightmare.

TC
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Doit2it

That's the only three things inside. LOL Yeah, when I was troubleshooting and it looked like it would be the MB, I knew it would end up costing me. I just wish they didn't charge $199 to transfer the Lifetime service. I guess it's a deterrent to keep people from 'breaking' their Tivo to get a new one. But why would you want a new Tivo if they will only let you trade for the same model. Weird.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
That's the only three things inside.
Well, there are also some other things that occasionally fail too. I have seen tuners fail, cooling fans fail, etc.

But yeah, HD, MB and PS are definitely the main 3 components.

TC