TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
csell

TiVo unveils blueprint for 'transportable DVR'

Just found this article. Not sure what to make out of it. Here's a small part of it:

TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) has developed a "transportable digital video recorder" which would allow viewers to download content to a mobile device using a docking station, USB or Firewire connections, according to a patent application published late last month.

The invention provides a transportable digital video recorder system. The invention gives a user the ability to record and play back TV broadcast programs and digital video using a compact portable small form factor transportable digital video recorder package. In addition, the invention allows the user to store selected television broadcast programs while the user is simultaneously watching or reviewing another program," TiVo states in the patent application.
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tiv...dvr/2013-07-12
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
mattack

Sounds like the way a patent for Tivo Stream would have been written.. instead using a cable.. (If this made downloads faster, I'd probably use it.. but I realize WiFi is not usually the bottleneck.. I *do* download the vast majority of the time, instead of streaming, though, since I can then have more reliable/fast skip forward & back..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

When I first saw this I thought maybe it was just housekeeping time at TiVo - making sure old patents have all been properly submitted.

But this very well may be supporting the refresh of TiVo desktop. Although, I am not sure what transferring over wire vs wifi gets you. I don't think the speed would be a significant difference.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I remember years ago, before iPhones/iPads, someone posted a mockup of some sort of portable TiVo. It looked like one of those old portable TVs but with TiVo remote buttons under the screen.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

This sounds awesome!

I'll take one, but I learned my lesson with the Mini...I won't be forking over any $$$ until the product is 100%, and there are no more "here's our product, but we'll roll out an update soon to enable certain features we didn't finish".
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
csell

I assume this new product would still not allow you to transfer copyrighted material and in my case that is 90% of my shows.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I assume this new product would still not allow you to transfer copyrighted material and in my case that is 90% of my shows.
You can never copy protected shows. However they might be able to skirt the rules by offering a move option. As long as two copies of the program do not exist at the same time they're technically not violating the "copy once" flag.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote