TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
ncbill

Fastest way to xfer all shows from one TivoHDs to another?

My main TivoHD is month-to-month, has a 1TB WD expander attached, but is full to the brim with my OTA shows.

I'd like to transfer all the shows to another, lifetime, TivoHD (upgraded to 2TB) via both connected to a switch via Ethernet.

Is simply queuing up one show after another the only way?

I've transferred shows via Wi-Fi before and that took...a while.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Yes, one by one.

There is a program called pyTivo that will group grab and then push to the new tivo.

It is still very slow process though, and the push would lose alot of the metadata

Tivo makes it so hard to move shows and season passes (SP move on their site is very broken), and not be able to transfer lifetime subs, that they MUST NOT want people to upgrade and buy new product.

The software should have a 'Transfer everything' menu option, that would transfer season passes to the new tivo, so it starts recording them immediately, and then sends compressed video data, all shows to the new tivo.

No such luck.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

pyTiVo also has a web interface that allows you to just click on all the shows you want to transfer. That's how I'd do it.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9300170 View Post
pyTiVo also has a web interface that allows you to just click on all the shows you want to transfer. That's how I'd do it.
That is the push interface. It will send them all but will lose about 2/3 of the metadata, including Episode number, which makes the shows show up in transfer time order on the tivo.
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Jonathan_S

I've noticed that you can speed the actual transfer up a bit if you tune both of TiVoHD's tuners to channels you don't receive and then tune to liveTV. Relieving the (somewhat underpowered) CPU from the overhead of having to handle live TV buffers or displaying menu lets it apply that bit extra horsepower to the transfer.

(It's been a while but IIRC I'd see a TiVoHD to PC transfer improvement of about 50% higher bandwidth used. A TiVo to TiVo copy is less CPU intensive but it still can't hurt to try this trick)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
ncbill

thanks for the tip, i'll try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I've noticed that you can speed the actual transfer up a bit if you tune both of TiVoHD's tuners to channels you don't receive and then tune to liveTV. Relieving the (somewhat underpowered) CPU from the overhead of having to handle live TV buffers or displaying menu lets it apply that bit extra horsepower to the transfer.

(It's been a while but IIRC I'd see a TiVoHD to PC transfer improvement of about 50% higher bandwidth used. A TiVo to TiVo copy is less CPU intensive but it still can't hurt to try this trick)

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
My main TivoHD is month-to-month, has a 1TB WD expander attached, but is full to the brim with my OTA shows.

I'd like to transfer all the shows to another, lifetime, TivoHD (upgraded to 2TB) via both connected to a switch via Ethernet.

Is simply queuing up one show after another the only way?
If you want to involve a *computer* you could at least download the shows from Tivo #1 with kmttg all in one fell swoop... Then at your leisure, transfer them to the new Tivo.. e.g. with pyTivo as mentioned.

I realize it's more steps, but getting things off of Tivo #1, you could delete them from that Tivo before moving them to the other tivo.. or even continue to use (usually) offline storage to expand recording capability.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If you want to involve a *computer* you could at least download the shows from Tivo #1 with kmttg all in one fell swoop... Then at your leisure, transfer them to the new Tivo.. e.g. with pyTivo as mentioned.

I realize it's more steps, but getting things off of Tivo #1, you could delete them from that Tivo before moving them to the other tivo.. or even continue to use (usually) offline storage to expand recording capability.
And although I can't speak with authority about any "copy it to a PC" program other than TiVo Desktop yet, I do know that using TDT to copy preserves metadata that gets tossed overboard when copying straight from TiVo to TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
mattack

TDT? I guess that's the official Tivo Desktop only for Windows.

Yeah, with kmttg, you can get the metadata too.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
TDT? I guess that's the official Tivo Desktop only for Windows.
They make TiVo Desktop for Mac too. It also keeps all the metadata.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

For a while, there was Tivo for PC called liquid TV. Supported by Nero for Tivo. It actually put a tivo interface with a tivo remote, on your Windows desktop.

Although it was a bit superfluous, it did allow full transfers from/to a real tivo with full metadata, since it was a 'real tivo'.

Here is the url on the tivo site about it:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
They make TiVo Desktop for Mac too. It also keeps all the metadata.
You need to buy Roxio Toast to officially transfer shows on a Mac.. that's why kmttg (free) is better.
(But I would buy Roxio Toast if it somehow worked a LOT better and were somehow more reliable.. apparently it isn't, so I don't.)

i.e. http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/rec..._shows_pc.html

Transferring shows to your Mac
To transfer shows to your Mac, you'll need Roxio Toast Titanium software. With Roxio Toast Titanium, you can not only watch your favorite shows on your Mac, but also burn DVDs of your shows, or convert them for use your iPod, iPhone, or PSP. (See how to create DVDs of TV shows or how to put shows on your iPod, PSP, or other portable device.)

THIS page ERRONEOUSLY says Tivo Desktop for the Mac allows you to transfer shows to your Mac:
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-software.do