TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
seek2fly

TiVo Software on an Android device??

Trying to spark interest ... hopefully not controversy! I (still) use a Tivo Series 2 here in Canada, as most know we have no access to Tivo HD up here due to protectionism of the existing cable companies and non-availability of cable cards.

However, Google TV is here. So I am wondering if a TiVo App is conceivable that would essentially provide a way to emulate the TiVo interface on another hardware?

So there you have it...
Am I late on this? Discussed before or is this a bit outrageous for Tivo to take its amazing service to the next level?

M.
seek2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, you're late and so is Tivo (for the Stream implementation on Android that is).

There is the Tivo app on Android but it is by no means a full Tivo implementation, more like a helper.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The TiVo app will not work with his Series 2 and I don't think anything really will today or in the future.

The question that I would have for you is: What is the use your trying to get out of the "Android" app?

Do you want to move (stream) video from your Series 2 to your mobile device or do you want to control your TiVo with your mobile device?

I believe that TiVo will be implementing a new version of TiVo desktop along with the new Series 5 models. But there is no telling if that new implementation will work with your Series 2 box.

NOTE: If Zap2it has guide data for your area you could consider getting a modern TiVo for capturing OTA programs.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Worf

I would kill for a way to get the TiVo scheduler and guide data as an app. Like the OP, the monopolies of cable cartels here in Canada ensure that they are the ones to sell you the crappy cableboxes. You can't activate a third party one, even one you bought elsewhere in Canada. They'll only activate cable boxes that they sold themselves.

Oh yeah, they also got rid of all analog channels, and thus TiVo will not work without a cable box and IR.

Of course, the guide data is crap, the scheduler is completely worthless, and the UI is impossible to navigate. What I find I do is I put all my season passes on my TiVo, then I extract out the To Do list and manually set the recordings in the crap the cable companies call a DVR.

It would save a tiny bit of time if I could just have the TiVo Guide and scheduler in an app so I don't have to do the "copy" step of extracting the To Do List and copying it to the cable DVR. Especially when you have to repeat it mid-week because a reboot lost all the recordings. And when it fails to record, tap the entry in the app and have it automatically recalculate the next showing so I can try it again.

Windows Media Center works better, but the guide data is crap (new episodes are often marked as reruns).

Edit: No, I don't expect it for free. I'd probably pay lifetime for it!
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

It works on android, but the battery lasts 3 seconds. So only watch 3 second shows. This is the limit of the android battery.

:-P
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
seek2fly

I looked up the Tivo app for my devices ... all three are not compatible for the following reason given by the Google Play Site: "This item cannot be installed in your device's country.". Sheesh.

This is starting to smell like I would have to write my own for a Google TV device that would be capable of writing video to a USB drive... I know my TiVo days are counted. Now having a Sony Google TV device, I think I will have to bite the bullet soon.

I have had a TiVo in Canada since the days of using Zap2It to load our data until the service was made available.

There is nothing like the TiVo technology and it is so hard to downgraded to the Belll and Rogers fluff and "pretend" latest technology.

So I am wondering ... who is forcing TiVo to prevent an Android App to not be installable on a Android device set to a "Canada" country code?? Do they "really" have to limit it that way??
Just asking...
M.
seek2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
runzman

I try on my android device, it works.
runzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
cerysseo

Good thing that there is TiVo on android device. How can I install that in my android device?
cerysseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
True Colors

seek2fly..... i still do not understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

The Tivo app actually performs multiple different functions. Which function(or functions) are you trying to replicate?

There is more than one way to skin most cats....... so there may be an alternate way for you to achieve your goal(s).

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Worf

Two different requests, really.

1) An app that does all the scheduling of TiVo, except lacks the ability to record. Because TiVo's season passes, wishlists and other things with guide data make TiVo work. Like I copy my TiVo's To Do list to the crappy cablebox DVR because the latter is the only thing that works with the digital channels (practically all of them).

2) An app that's a TiVo front end that works with crappy cable box DVRs or other things to at least give the usable DVR even when cable companies lock you out.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote