TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #9601
mattack

jmfs was designed for Premieres, but "happens" to work on Tivo HDs..

I've never used WinMFS (I don't have a Windows machine), but jmfs is a simplified way of upgrading, IMHO. Basically, it's a nice interface on top of the existing command line tools, I think.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #9602
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood252ota View Post
I have a tivo HD with a wd10evds upgrade. The drive is starting to fail, so I'm about to replace it with a wd10eurx. I would like to preserve my programs on the wd10evds. After reading through this thread, I'm confused if I should use winMFS or jmfs. I thought winMFS was for HD's and jmfs was for Premieres. At least that is the way I've been doing it when I upgrade my HD and Premiere Tivos. Is winMFS still the way to go with a HD ?
Thanks for the help
Since you're not really upgrading, simply replacing a failing drive with one which is more than likely exactly the same size, you just need to use ddrescue, a standard linux command (it is on the JMFS boot disk) to make an exact copy of the drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #9603
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I have a tivo HD with a wd10evds upgrade. The drive is starting to fail, so I'm about to replace it with a wd10eurx. I would like to preserve my programs on the wd10evds. After reading through this thread, I'm confused if I should use winMFS or jmfs. I thought winMFS was for HD's and jmfs was for Premieres. At least that is the way I've been doing it when I upgrade my HD and Premiere Tivos. Is winMFS still the way to go with a HD ?
Thanks for the help
JMFS works with any Tivo even Premieres, it only does a drive to drive copy, no backups.
WinMFS does not work on Premieres.
You can also look at a newly developed, DVRBars, it does backups of nearly all Tivos including Premiere and it does not do drive to drive copy (yet).
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #9604
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
JMFS works with any Tivo even Premieres, it only does a drive to drive copy, no backups.
WinMFS does not work on Premieres.
You can also look at a newly developed, DVRBars, it does backups of nearly all Tivos including Premiere and it does not do drive to drive copy (yet).
jmfs will not recognize anything older than an S3 HD drive as a TiVo drive, so original S3s, S2s, and S1s cannot use it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #9605
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is there any program that will make a backup of my TIVo (S3 OLED) Hard Drive without me having to remove the Hard Drive? I'd love to have one just in case. It doesn't even need to have the actual Shows. Just the OS and personal settings for the Cable Co.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #9606
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
jmfs will not recognize anything older than an S3 HD drive as a TiVo drive, so original S3s, S2s, and S1s cannot use it.
But, you can still boot with it, then drop to the command line and manually use dd_rescue. As long as you know how to, or do your research first on "GNU dd_rescue".
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #9607
tluxon

Quote:
Thanks for the help
If the drive is starting to fail and you want to preserve your programs, I prefer the way JMFS does the copy. If you go to a larger drive, use JMFS for the copy and WinMFS for the expand and supersize (if it isn't already and you'd like the extra space).
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #9608
tluxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Is there any program that will make a backup of my TIVo (S3 OLED) Hard Drive without me having to remove the Hard Drive? I'd love to have one just in case. It doesn't even need to have the actual Shows. Just the OS and personal settings for the Cable Co.
I believe it's technically possible, but not in a way that can be discussed here.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #9609
A J Ricaud

Newegg has WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives on sale for $84.99 for 72 hrs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-22236404-L0B

Use Promo Code EMCXNWV22 for the discount.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #9610
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I believe it's technically possible, but not in a way that can be discussed here.
I haven't been to the "other" site lately, but as a programmer involved in writing TiVo backup software I'd love a hint. At this point I can't imagine a way to pull off a backup without cracking the case and hooking the drive up to a separate computer of some kind.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #9611
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I haven't been to the "other" site lately, but as a programmer involved in writing TiVo backup software I'd love a hint. At this point I can't imagine a way to pull off a backup without cracking the case and hooking the drive up to a separate computer of some kind.
It's been a couple of years since I pulled a hard drive out of a TiVo. What's the easiest method to get a simple backup now? Is there a way to do it on Mac OS yet or does one still need a Windows Variant?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #9612
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
It's been a couple of years since I pulled a hard drive out of a TiVo. What's the easiest method to get a simple backup now? Is there a way to do it on Mac OS yet or does one still need a Windows Variant?
I sure thought that whatever Linux CLI tools used to make a backup have also been compiled on Macs.. I think I even did it a few years ago.. I'm even more sure that I did a S3 upgrade on a Mac with Mac compiled tools.

Of course you can use MAC HARDWARE and boot from the Linux CD, e.g. jmfs for TivoHD/Premiere upgrades.. or the Linux boot CD.. Just make sure you know where your hard drives are in Linux!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #9613
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I sure thought that whatever Linux CLI tools used to make a backup have also been compiled on Macs.. I think I even did it a few years ago.. I'm even more sure that I did a S3 upgrade on a Mac with Mac compiled tools.

Of course you can use MAC HARDWARE and boot from the Linux CD, e.g. jmfs for TivoHD/Premiere upgrades.. or the Linux boot CD.. Just make sure you know where your hard drives are in Linux!!
Hey... You live in Sunnyvale right? I'm in Cupertino. Think I could talk you into helping me do it some time? There's a couple cases of beer in it for you (or Pizzas if you prefer). No pressure, but it would sure be nice to have someone here who has actually done it recently.

We only have Macs here now and I don't have Windows installed on any of our Macs. So you may need to bring your laptop too.

Last edited by bareyb : 07-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #9614
tluxon

Quote:
I'm not certain it's possible, but I don't know for sure that it's not possible, either.

I imagine TiVo's own developers/programmers must've required a remote client service installed on the OS. It may be more secure than Fort Knox, but if it's there at all, 'they' at least probably have the ability to read all of the disk remotely - making a remote backup possible.

Whether or not such a capability could ever be tapped by anyone else would be a major hurdle by itself. If there is no such service already installed, any hope of success would certainly rely on installing one, which is probably not possible.

No matter what, it's gotta be much simpler to just pull the drive and do the backup that way.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #9615
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I'm not certain it's possible, but I don't know for sure that it's not possible, either.

I imagine TiVo's own developers/programmers must've required a remote client service installed on the OS. It may be more secure than Fort Knox, but if it's there at all, 'they' at least probably have the ability to read all of the disk remotely - making a remote backup possible.

Whether or not such a capability could ever be tapped by anyone else would be a major hurdle by itself. If there is no such service already installed, any hope of success would certainly rely on installing one, which is probably not possible.

No matter what, it's gotta be much simpler to just pull the drive and do the backup that way.
I can't say how I know. But I do know, for fact, that TiVo can take a drive that has been pulled from a TiVo, shipped into them, and extract/decode the recordings in their "lab". But, I'm sure we all know that they can. The question is can we replicate that. That question is a slippery slope on here. Any discussion of hacking or decrypting content that was intended to remain encrypted, outside of normal use, or means made available by TiVo to us, could be considered discussing something along the lines of unprotecting protected content. Don't discuss it here. Take that kind of discussion over to d****d***b***dot com instead.

If that's not the aim, well, no harm, no foul...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #9616
wood252ota

just to let people know how the story ended, I put both drives in my PC and booted up the jmfs CD. I selected the "Copy" menu option. It said it was about to copy 1TB of data from my wd10evds to my wd10eurx drive. 9 hours later it was done and I exited the program (no expand or supersize was done). Put the wd10eurx in my tivo and everything was there and working (so far, knock on wood :-).
Thanks to all for help and advice
wood252ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #9617
jrmstr33

Quote:
So far so good. I took a WD20EURS that I had previously zeroed, did a DvrBARS quick restore of the 758 image, and dropped it in the 748.

It upgraded itself to the right software without a KS52, and surprisingly it didn't even need a C&DE. I guess that since the 758 image was taken from a drive that had never been booted it may not need that step.

When I get a chance later in the week I'm going to extract the ext2 & MFS partitions to my PC and compare them to the the 748 files.
ggieseke: Quick question as I plan on setting up a new WD20EURS for a used S3 (TCD648250B). I pulled down the WinMFS image from unitron and have the new drive coming tomorrow (the S3 arrives on Wed). Since I don't have any recordings that I need to transfer from the drive that is coming in the S3, are there any precautions I have to take when "restoring" the image to the new 2TB drive? Three questions specifically:

1) When "restoring" using WinMFS, do I need to change the default "swap size?" mfslive.org/winmfs/images/mfsrestore.jpg

2) Should I press YES or NO to "do you want to expand?" I plan on running MfsAdd and MfsSupersize afterwards.

3) Do I have to worry about any of the additional iBored steps Lussie wrote about here: tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9168233#post9168233

Thanks so much in advance!
jrmstr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #9618
jmbach

You do not have to use iBored for anything. When I expanded mine I said to to expand after copy. I did use a larger swap size but there is no evidence that it makes much of a difference on an S3. Most people usually feel that it won't hurt and can only help. I used 1024mb while others 512mb. FWIW, the 2TB premiere XL4 drives only use 128mb. I did use an optimized partition layout. When using MFSAdd make sure you answer correctly to not limit the expansion size to 1TB.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #9619
jrmstr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
You do not have to use iBored for anything. When I expanded mine I said to to expand after copy. I did use a larger swap size but there is no evidence that it makes much of a difference on an S3. Most people usually feel that it won't hurt and can only help. I used 1024mb while others 512mb. FWIW, the 2TB premiere XL4 drives only use 128mb. I did use an optimized partition layout. When using MFSAdd make sure you answer correctly to not limit the expansion size to 1TB.
Thanks jmbach! Looks like I'll try cloning the 1Tb drive first to avoid having to deal with error 51 when using someone else's image.
jrmstr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #9620
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Another day, another broken S3 OLED Tivo. After having it pulled from the rack weeks ago I finally cracked it open, and yup, a bad C701 capacitor. I've previously repaired my Mitsubishi TV years ago with bad caps so I think I can do this pretty easily. I've ordered the parts and we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #9621
keenanSR

Never getting passed the "Welcome, Powering Up..." screen indicates failed HDD correct?

Thanks

Also, it's been many years since I installed the current drive, what's the best available model number to use now?

Thanks again.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #9622
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Never getting passed the "Welcome, Powering Up..." screen indicates failed HDD correct?

Thanks

Also, it's been many years since I installed the current drive, what's the best available model number to use now?

Thanks again.
What drive are you using to what model Tivo? If it is a Western Digital drive. you may need to run WDidle3.exe /D

Also the software on the drive needs to match the model Tivo, (TCDxxx)
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #9623
keenanSR

Quote:
What drive are you using to what model Tivo? If it is a Western Digital drive. you may need to run WDidle3.exe /D

Also the software on the drive needs to match the model Tivo, (TCDxxx)
I'll have to open it up to see the specific model of HDD, it was installed around a year after the Series 3( TCD648250B) was first released, probably one of the WD's listed in the original post of this thread, a 1TB model. I've been away from home about a week and came home and saw the problem, I'll open it later this evening, if that is truly what is wrong.

I do have the original(factory installed) drive and I also have a backup of the original drive on a computer.

To be clear, it is a failed HDD? Seems to me that was an indicator, failing to get passed that screen.

I know I'll have to do some research, I've always followed this thread but since everything had been working fine it was pretty much just background interest. I do realize that some drives are more finicky than others nowadays and I'm not looking to expand it beyond the 1TB capacity that's currently in the machine.

I'll have to research that command you've noted in your response, is that something I can try on the existing drive to recover it, or to prepare a new drive?

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #9624
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
To be clear, it is a failed HDD? Seems to me that was an indicator, failing to get passed that screen.
If it was a new drive, then the previous post about WDidle3 may need to be run. WDidle is used to set the auto-park feature on Western Digital drives only.

If its an old drive, its possible to have failed, or the power supply problem, just to name a few.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #9625
keenanSR

Quote:
If it was a new drive, then the previous post about WDidle3 may need to be run. WDidle is used to set the auto-park feature on Western Digital drives only.

If its an old drive, its possible to have failed, or the power supply problem, just to name a few.
Thought about the power supply, what would be the best indicator?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #9626
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thought about the power supply, what would be the best indicator?
I'm no expert, but you can open it up and look at the capacitors for bulging or leaks.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #9627
keenanSR

Quote:
I'm no expert, but you can open it up and look at the capacitors for bulging or leaks.
Yes, I remember reading that. I'll have to pop the cover and see what things look like. Just so I understand, the fan will still spin with a suspect power supply? A bad power supply is intermittent voltage and/or incorrect voltage to the HDD?

The drive is a WD 10EVVS.

Also now the fan doesn't even turn and the unit appears to be completely dead. I looked at the power supply and there doesn't seem to be anything out of order, the largest cap has a very slight bulge on the top, but that's about it.

Is there a thread here that focuses on power supply issue? I did a search but it only returned a few isolated threads.

Just looked at this thread here and the suspect cap I mentioned above looks exactly like the bad one in the photo so I'm leaning toward a bad power supply.

I realize this thread is focused on increasing storage so if someone could direct me to a thread that might give me some ideas on how to move forward that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by keenanSR : 07-23-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #9628
unitron

Quote:
Yes, I remember reading that. I'll have to pop the cover and see what things look like. Just so I understand, the fan will still spin with a suspect power supply? A bad power supply is intermittent voltage and/or incorrect voltage to the HDD?

The drive is a WD 10EVVS.

Also now the fan doesn't even turn and the unit appears to be completely dead. I looked at the power supply and there doesn't seem to be anything out of order, the largest cap has a very slight bulge on the top, but that's about it.

Is there a thread here that focuses on power supply issue? I did a search but it only returned a few isolated threads.

Just looked at this thread here and the suspect cap I mentioned above looks exactly like the bad one in the photo so I'm leaning toward a bad power supply.

I realize this thread is focused on increasing storage so if someone could direct me to a thread that might give me some ideas on how to move forward that would be great.

Thanks
Go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

click on the search tab at the top of the page and put capacitor into the text box.

That'll provide you with plenty of reading.

There's one thread with the term "bad capacitors" in the title that should have most of the info you need.

Repairing your power supply may not solve your problem, but it has to be eliminated as a possible source first, or any other troubleshooting efforts are a waste of time.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #9629
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

click on the search tab at the top of the page and put capacitor into the text box.

That'll provide you with plenty of reading.

There's one thread with the term "bad capacitors" in the title that should have most of the info you need.

Repairing your power supply may not solve your problem, but it has to be eliminated as a possible source first, or any other troubleshooting efforts are a waste of time.
Thanks, I did do some searching late last night and came across several of those threads and I'm pretty sure at this point the PS is at the very least suspect - absolutely no power/no activity/no lights when the power cord is plugged in now - and as you note, it needs to be eliminated as a problem cause before continuing. I'm leaning heavily towards the Weaknees exchange, looked at Ebay but figured I could easily end up with someone elses failing PS if I bought a used S3. I'm not proficient enough to do any re-soldering myself so replacing the offending caps is not really an option, and in my area I don't know of anywhere that would do that sort of work.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #9630
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thanks, I did do some searching late last night and came across several of those threads and I'm pretty sure at this point the PS is at the very least suspect - absolutely no power/no activity/no lights when the power cord is plugged in now - and as you note, it needs to be eliminated as a problem cause before continuing. I'm leaning heavily towards the Weaknees exchange, looked at Ebay but figured I could easily end up with someone elses failing PS if I bought a used S3. I'm not proficient enough to do any re-soldering myself so replacing the offending caps is not really an option, and in my area I don't know of anywhere that would do that sort of work.
You could look in the yellow pages for TV/VCR Repair or electronics/computer repair.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~