TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #61
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Exactly

And I'm bad with names. Terrible with names actually. I watch shows for years that I like and for the life of me cannot remember names. So yeah, that was harsh.
To be fair, though, being able to remember names wasn't a factor. You referred to "the woman reporter whose hubby is on the other side"; that's not forgetting somebody's name, that's failing to understand what happened. Her hubby isn't on the other side; he was killed & buried by Barbie.

But I guess if you don't understand what's happening on the show, it can be perfectly enjoyable.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #62
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
To be fair, though, being able to remember names wasn't a factor. You referred to "the woman reporter whose hubby is on the other side"; that's not forgetting somebody's name, that's failing to understand what happened. Her hubby isn't on the other side; he was killed & buried by Barbie.

But I guess if you don't understand what's happening on the show, it can be perfectly enjoyable.
I think he confused the "woman cop whose hubby (?) is on the other side" with the "woman reporter whose hubby is on the underside."
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #63
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I think he confused the "woman cop whose hubby (?) is on the other side" with the "woman reporter whose hubby is on the underside."
Boyfriend, but yes...but confusing those two is a pretty good indication that somebody hasn't been paying much if any attention. And I continue to be amused that such a person is among the biggest defenders of the show.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #64
TonyD79

Quote:
Boyfriend, but yes...but confusing those two is a pretty good indication that somebody hasn't been paying much if any attention. And I continue to be amused that such a person is among the biggest defenders of the show.
Boyfriend. I wasn't sure.

Wasn't defending the mistake. Just tracing where it happened.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #65
smbaker

Quote:
I don't know, I'm still mildly entertained by it. Sure, these characters are stupid, but in an entertaining way.
I'm enjoying it too. I'm a book reader, so part of my enjoyment stems from enjoying the book and seeing the characters come to life. I too am curious as to how they would keep the show moving beyond one season. It doesn't feel like there's enough substance to pull it off. The audience is going to get bored week after week not knowing what the dome is and demand resolution. The only show that I've seen that could successfully pull that off was Lost, and that was by randomly flailing around introducing new and sometimes inconsistent plots.

Maybe someone needs to find a hatch, with a timer and a guy pushing a button, and we could forget about the mysterious dome and fixate on that for a season or two...

Quote:
I like the kid and the "two mommy" daughter dynamic.
It feels a bit forced to me, like it hastily thrown in to fit a demographic and not really integrated into the story. The characters should have some bit of mysterious back story to them to keep them interesting, so we can learn something more as the season progresses.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #66
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm hoping Junior gets beat up again in the next episode.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #67
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
This, you're right.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #68
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Biggest defenders of the show? It's mild summer entertainment and I'm enjoying it. If this were on during the fall up against 50 other shows I have on my DVR, I'd probably stop watching too. I have some curiosities on how they will resolve things.

I do think, I'm entitled to an opinion that is different than the majority here and am allowed to express it. But I guess not.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #69
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post

It feels a bit forced to me, like it hastily thrown in to fit a demographic and not really integrated into the story. The characters should have some bit of mysterious back story to them to keep them interesting, so we can learn something more as the season progresses.
I don't even think the two mommy thing plays into it for me, I like the character. She's got a mysterious side that I'd like to see explored.

As for the rest of what you said, I agree. That's why I asked if there were plans to extend this out past this season. They need to move the story along around the dome.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #70
smbaker

Quote:
I don't even think the two mommy thing plays into it for me, I like the character. She's got a mysterious side that I'd like to see explored.
So it's the daughter you find interesting? I'd agree with that, she's a much more interesting character than her parents. She's rebellious and inquisitive. I bet she'll play a part in sorting things out.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #71
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Quote:
This, you're right.
They're practically twins.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #72
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
They're practically twins.

That would be Juliet and Ana Lucia, with Barbie playing the part of Sawyer.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #73
Numb And Number2

Quote:
I continue to be amused..
LOL! This show is a little too goofy for pretension.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #74
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

In Steve's defense, I'm probably also enjoying the show more than most people posting here.

Not that I think the show is currently great (I liked the pilot a lot but the second and third episodes have been rather meh), but the stupidity of the characters isn't bothering me as much as it is others.

For me, I think because this isn't a show about the best and the brightest or even people who have had training for this, these are supposed to be average people who are caught in this situation.

And let's face it, the average person isn't very smart....

So I expect a certain amount of stupidity from the characters.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #75
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb And Number2 View Post
LOL! This show is a little too goofy for pretension.
I think you are talking to the wrong person there. Many a show thread has been "Helmerichs'd" and loses all fun for me.

Sure if Barbie murdered him and he's dead then he is "on the other side".
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #76
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Sure if Barbie murdered him and he's dead then he is "on the other side".
It wasn't murder, he was standing his ground.

/runs

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #77
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Have they said if this is a mini-series or a regular series with a S2 possibility? I think it's moving too slow for a mini-series and that's my major problem with this show.

Ratings still good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
They've made it clear that they will stretch it out as long as they can. This will end up like Lost or How I Met You Mother, where you don't get the resolution until the show has become so bad that it's in danger of being canceled.
I think they made a strategic mistake by trying to play both sides. I remember when it was first announced, it was a summer mini-series. Then later, it was changed to "if it does well, we'll keep going". Now they have a semi-dog that doesn't belong anywhere.

They could have made a taut, crisp, fast-paced mini-series. Story would have been better, it would move, people would stay and watch because we would know that the end would bring closure.

Instead we get a show that, before three eps are done, is already dragging in places. And of course it is, they have to make it last as long as they can. Instead, they will get a sloppy story, that loses half its viewers before it's a month old, and ends up serving no master.

Why oh why don't TV execs ever learn? You don't always have to go for six seasons. A fast win beats a slow death any day.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #78
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Why oh why don't TV execs ever learn? You don't always have to go for six seasons. A fast win beats a slow death any day.
Artistically, you're right. But in the network business model, they're making a massive investment with almost no chance of profit. If this does happen to be the one in (a thousand? Ten thousand? Whatever) that strikes gold, they don't want to limit their ability to rake it in for years to come. Almost every show ends in a slow death, and that's fine with them as long as it has a long life first, during which they can make tons of money and more than offset all the money they lose on all the shows that never make it to six seasons, or three, or one, or even ever get on the air in the first place.

They'd rather bet on a six-season long-shot than on a one-summer long-shot.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #79
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Should have been a 4 part mini-series. This is awful.

Hate hate hate the "hey dude" teenagers.

Hate the doe eyed deputy.

The newspaper woman is annoying.

Crazy junior sucks.

Barbie is boring.

Hate Florida Evans.

They took an interesting intriguing novel and made it into a bland Days of our Lives.

I'm Out.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #80
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post

Hate Florida Evans.
It's too bad that J.J. isn't with her under the dome.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #81
Win Joy Jr

Just finished the book this week and watched all three episodes tonight.

Loved the book. The re-tooling to make this a full fledged series is a big negative in my enjoyment of the show. Changing characters motivations. Changing characteristics of the dome. May give it another week or two...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #82
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
In Steve's defense, I'm probably also enjoying the show more than most people posting here.

Not that I think the show is currently great (I liked the pilot a lot but the second and third episodes have been rather meh), but the stupidity of the characters isn't bothering me as much as it is others.

For me, I think because this isn't a show about the best and the brightest or even people who have had training for this, these are supposed to be average people who are caught in this situation.

And let's face it, the average person isn't very smart....

So I expect a certain amount of stupidity from the characters.

I don't think stupidity is the best way to describe how most of the characters are acting. Stupidity would be taking an axe to the dome or something else that would seem panicky. These people are all too calm. There's seemingly no curiosity, no panic, no planning, nothing that would indicate that they realized they had a dome around them. It's not that they are acting stupid, they just aren't acting like real people who just got cut off from the outside world.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #83
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
I forget who got jumped all over for commenting on how in-your-face the two moms things is, but he was right. "We are a same-sex couple." "... our legitimate daughter ...". I'm all for same-sex marriage. What I'm against is bad writing.
He wasn't right... when talking about the pilot. They didn't make a huge deal out of it in that episode. In this one, it was in your face and unrealistic IMO. About par for the course in this show...

Quote:
Boyfriend
Fiance
Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #84
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

He wasn't right... when talking about the pilot. They didn't make a huge deal out of it in that episode. In this one, it was in your face and unrealistic IMO. About par for the course in this show...

Fiance
It is all just bad writing. They weren't in your face at all. It was a confrontation with someone who confronted her. However, all the writing is melodramatic and bad.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #85
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

One time is one thing. They did the same "reveal" two or three times in the same episode... that's in your face.

And bad writing
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #86
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
One time is one thing. They did the same "reveal" two or three times in the same episode... that's in your face.

And bad writing
I say just bad writing because they are trying to do the "fish out of water" thing. Lets have someone who would seem totally out of place and use the resulting tension. So, what would be out of place? A lesbian couple with a teen daughter. What a great idea. In your face says there is an agenda. Given how bad their writing is, I just think it is yet another case of clumsy writing.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #87
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I also think we're seeing the effects of "let's do season 2"-itis in how slowly and stupidly everything is progressing. The initial media coverage of the show acted like this was a fixed 13-episode miniseries, but apparently the show runners have mapped out two additional seasons. This does not bode well for a taut storyline.
Some of your comments describe the typical ~1,000 page Stephen King tome.

I have not read "Under the Dome" but am slogging through "11/22/63" now - it is good but goes on and on and on.

While his books are well written and researched they tend to meander all over the place. He is too big and sells too many books as-is for any editor to turn his books into a taut storyline. I believe SK is heavily involved with the adaption of UTD.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #88
nyny523
Oy

There is a lot of bad writing and bad acting.

I enjoyed the book, so I will likely stick with it a bit longer, but I dunno....
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #89
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I may be smeeking, but did anyone else think "well, you could burn the empty box of matches with that last match"?

I did do a double-take when she offered crazy teenager a ride back into town as soon as they got out of the tunnel. So she followed him in her car?!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #90
squint

It's Hollywoodland where you can follow someone without ever arousing any suspicion.

In the tunnels, where it's supposedly too dark for them to navigate without light, she manages to follow him. She doesn't stumble or make any noise despite walking just a few yards behind him in tunnels that are dead quiet and where any noise would echo like crazy.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote