TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Andy D

Premiere and TiVo HD and SDV adapters

I have a TiVo Premiere and a TiVo HD. I recently got an HD TV, so now I can start taking advantage of HD programing.

I subscribe to Charter Cable and on their CableCard instructions they instruct that you need a SDV adapter with the TiVo and CableCard. I am trying to understand what I need before I start installation and equipment requests from Charter.

My question: Do I need an SDV adapter for each TiVo, or just one?

If Just one... How do I connect the USB portion to each TiVo?

How is the SDV adapter controlled... Is it by each TiVo? Or what?

Many thanks for any help,

Andy D
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No adapters, they use multi stream cable card and tuning adapters. They cannot control anything.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I'm not on Charter but here is what normally applies:

First be sure that your system uses SDV. If not you don't need a Tuning Adapter.
You need one TA (Tuning Adapter) for each TiVo.

You connect the USB port on the TA to a USB port on the TiVo.

The TV cable from the wall plugs into the TA. A short coax cable connects from the TA to the cable input of the TiVo.

TA kits come with the short coax cable and usb cable that you need.

Here is the Charter web page on CableCARD (and TA) self-install:
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...22#ccobtaining

Normally the TA is free and you can self-install at no charge. Even if you end up buying your own coax or usb cable, it should be much cheaper than having a service call for the installation.

The common troubleshooting procedure for TA's is to power cycle them while disconnecting the USB cable. When the green light goes steady on after a few minutes, reconnect the USB cable and the TiVo should go through its acquiring channels procedure for a minute or two. Sometimes you also have to restart the TiVo in conjunction with this.

Anything but a steady light means the TA has some issue. A sequence of 8 blinks-pause means the TA isn't authorized. A sequence of 6 blinks-pause means it's not communicating with the TiVo via the USB. This is for the Cisco STA1520 TA's which I believe Charter uses. There is a reset button on the front of the TA but I don't use it as I believe power-cycling is the more reliable reset mechanism.

The most common problem with TA's is occasionally losing some or all of the SDV channels, which is usually fixed by the reset procedure just described.

Good luck. Some of us find TA's a far from reliable device.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-11-2013 at 09:28 PM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote