Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #31
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
"How many matches do you have left?"
"Only one. Let's waste it standing around talking."
"Yeah, okay."
Drove me nuts. The last match literally burned out as they were talking. D'oh! No one, repeat, no one, is that stupid in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
I forget who got jumped all over for commenting on how in-your-face the two moms things is, but he was right. "We are a same-sex couple." "... our legitimate daughter ...". I'm all for same-sex marriage. What I'm against is bad writing.
Yeezus, was this ever in your face. "Take you out of the moment" in your face.

It's funny, I was just reading a Ken Levine blog post on "Writing Good Dialogue". In it he gives some tips on how to make TV dialogue sound realistic, and not stilted.

The writers of UTD should read his article.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The last match literally burned out as they were talking. D'oh!
Due to time constraints, the following dialog had been cut earlier: "Should we look for something else to burn before we run out of matches? Maybe some strips of clothing on a stick, if we can't find anything else?"

"No, don't bother, the stairway is just up ahead, right after the next commercial."
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Not enjoying the show very much, but since I'm a big fan of the book and have watched all King adaptations, I'm in it for the long haul.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #34
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
I forget who got jumped all over for commenting on how in-your-face the two moms things is, but he was right. "We are a same-sex couple." "... our legitimate daughter ...". I'm all for same-sex marriage. What I'm against is bad writing.
If she just said that out of nowhere, I would agree, but in this circumstance, she was being bullied by other patrons of the bar. She was being direct and clear because she was defending herself and her family, not because she was being preachy. It appeared to be a realistic response to the situation IMO.

Overall, though, I'm not too thrilled with the quality of the show. It could have been a lot better than it is, and I think a big contributing factor for the level of quality we're getting is the "need" to extend the story over multiple seasons. They should have stuck with the single season approach here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:
Drove me nuts. The last match literally burned out as they were talking. D'oh! No one, repeat, no one, is that stupid in real life.

Yeezus, was this ever in your face. "Take you out of the moment" in your face.

It's funny, I was just reading a Ken Levine blog post on "Writing Good Dialogue". In it he gives some tips on how to make TV dialogue sound realistic, and not stilted.

The writers of UTD should read his article.
Good simple article. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #36
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sromkie View Post
If she just said that out of nowhere, I would agree, but in this circumstance, she was being bullied by other patrons of the bar. She was being direct and clear because she was defending herself and her family, not because she was being preachy. It appeared to be a realistic response to the situation IMO.
It was in the faces of the viewers not in the face of another character in the show.

If I want to be re-programmed, I'll just watch Everybody Loves Hypnotoad.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
Bob Coxner

Quote:
I'm out. The first three episodes remind me of the first three seasons of Lost. The first one was good and drew you in, the second wasn't as good as the first but still showed promise, and the third was just pointless.
Season Pass deleted after this episode. I'll stick with the book.

I'm reminded of Last Resort. Fantastic pilot and concept, second episode not as good and by the end of the third I was done. Last Resort also had better actors.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #38
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post

It was in the faces of the viewers not in the face of another character in the show.

If I want to be re-programmed, I'll just watch Everybody Loves Hypnotoad.
Huh?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #39
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I'm reminded of Last Resort. Fantastic pilot and concept, second episode not as good and by the end of the third I was done. Last Resort also had better actors.
This! Same duration for me. 1.5 episodes.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Unfortunately, yes in the real world, there are many, many, many people that stupid. You hear stories about them on a daily basis. And the ones that are the worst get Darwin awards.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #41
dtle

I think you guys put too much emphasis on the matches. Yes, it was dark, and they were lost. But it's not like their lives were in any immediate danger. They already knew the general direction out (due to the flickering flames), so it was just a matter of time before they found the exit.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #42
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
I think you guys put too much emphasis on the matches. Yes, it was dark, and they were lost. But it's not like their lives were in any immediate danger. They already knew the general direction out (due to the flickering flames), so it was just a matter of time before they found the exit.
I was just responding to the emphasis the show put on the matches. It made a point of that being the final match, presumably to manufacture drama and tension, but then immediately disregarded the drama and tension it had sought to build the moment before. That's poor writing.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #43
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

I was just responding to the emphasis the show put on the matches. It made a point of that being the final match, presumably to manufacture drama and tension, but then immediately disregarded the drama and tension it had sought to build the moment before. That's poor writing.
Plus they made a big deal of the structure being unstable because of the dome slicing through it, so there was supposed immediate danger. Without any evidence of it.

We can keep waving all this off as the characters being stupid but what it really is is bad writing.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #44
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
I was also a little sad to see Earl, the "Saving Grace" angel, playing the part of a small town bigot.
You mean "country singer who's frozen when he dies and awakens in the 23rd century aboard the Enterprise?

Or perhaps the doctor from Alcatraz?

He does get around.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post

You mean "country singer who's frozen when he dies and awakens in the 23rd century aboard the Enterprise?

Or perhaps the doctor from Alcatraz?

He does get around.

Greg
Yeah - those guys. I just expected better from Earl.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #46
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
Yeah - those guys. I just expected better from Earl.
He cain't hep it. He ain't bad. He was just drawn that way.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #47
jones07
eff.org warrior

UTD is the first show in years that had my thinking of bailing after just 2.5 episodes. Man oh man episode 3 was boring.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #48
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I don't know, I'm still mildly entertained by it. Sure, these characters are stupid, but in an entertaining way. I guess I'm curious enough to see how they resolve the dome crisis to keep watching. I've stuck through much worse. And I'm not even a SK fan. I like the kid and the "two mommy" daughter dynamic. I think they are interesting characters. And the woman reporter who's hubby is on the other side is interesting.

Have they said if this is a mini-series or a regular series with a S2 possibility? I think it's moving too slow for a mini-series and that's my major problem with this show.

Ratings still good?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

The article I read said that they could continue on to other seasons. If the ratings stay where they are it should easily get another season. But each episode has lost viewers. It started out with around 13.5 million viewers and the third episode is now down to around 10.5 million viewers. For live + Same day ratings. But that is still much higher than anything else out there right now. But if they keep losing viewers at this rate there won't be many left by the end of Summer.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #50
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I guess I'm curious enough to see how they resolve the dome crisis to keep watching.
They've made it clear that they will stretch it out as long as they can. This will end up like Lost or How I Met You Mother, where you don't get the resolution until the show has become so bad that it's in danger of being canceled.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I don't know, I'm still mildly entertained by it. Sure, these characters are stupid, but in an entertaining way. I guess I'm curious enough to see how they resolve the dome crisis to keep watching. I've stuck through much worse. And I'm not even a SK fan. I like the kid and the "two mommy" daughter dynamic. I think they are interesting characters. And the woman reporter who's hubby is on the other side is interesting.

Have they said if this is a mini-series or a regular series with a S2 possibility? I think it's moving too slow for a mini-series and that's my major problem with this show.

Ratings still good?
The woman reporter who's hubby is on the other side? So I see you are watching this show very closely..................

and the 2 mommy thing is freakin terrible.

This show is horrid.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #52
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
The woman reporter who's hubby is on the other side? So I see you are watching this show very closely..................

and the 2 mommy thing is freakin terrible.

This show is horrid.
that's a little harsh, both my wife and I are enjoying it. For us, a suitable summer show where our expectations are not as high as they will be in the fall.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
that's a little harsh, both my wife and I are enjoying it. For us, a suitable summer show where our expectations are not as high as they will be in the fall.
you can still enjoy it even though it is a horrible show, that doesn't change the fact that it is terrible, I enjoy some terrible shows at times also
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #54
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Well, he IS on the other side.

So to speak.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #55
LlamaLarry

This thread needs more Rachelle Lefevre, I even watched "A Gifted Man" for her:

LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #56
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...I'm all for same-sex marriage. What I'm against is bad writing.
I'm against both....and I'm just about out on this show, too.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #57
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
...I'm sticking with it because it is about the only new TV on right now...
Huh? You don't have cable/sat, then, I assume?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #58
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
Exactly

And I'm bad with names. Terrible with names actually. I watch shows for years that I like and for the life of me cannot remember names. So yeah, that was harsh.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
you can still enjoy it even though it is a horrible show, that doesn't change the fact that it is terrible, I enjoy some terrible shows at times also
If it's that terrible, why put yourself through that torture? I might stick with shows I don't enjoy as much as others, or shows that were good for many years, but turn terrible because I've invested time in it, but for a new show, if it's that terrible, I'm bailing.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #60
Fahtrim

oh I'm out already plenty of stuff on cable and netflix and movies.