TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #61
Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Okay wouldn't it make sense for all the couples to dance first and then do the results at the end and just omit the eliminated couple from the voting? Can't say I like the elimination first and then have two dancers possibly "mailing it in"..
Agreed, don't like it. This places undue burden on the surviving partner. How can anyone just being kicked off give it their best mind and body. Once again, good people will be hurt. Nigel was not happy with the audience vote plus one of the choreographers toward the end. I wonder if this is another turning point?
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #62
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Something else I noticed about this season: in the past, when they had two finalists with the same first name, Cat always called them by their first name and last initial, but this year, instead of "Jasmine H" and "Jasmine M", it's "Jasmine Harper" and "Jasmine Mason"...and I think I know why: Cat has a habit of pronouncing the letter H as "Haitch" (she did it quite a bit when she hosted 20Q on GSN), and somebody might think that calling her "Jasmine Haitch" might affect her performance and/or the voting somehow.

Last edited by That Don Guy : 07-04-2013 at 06:41 PM.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #63
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I'm watching this season, but I'm not as interested in it as previous seasons. Maybe it's just early in the season and I can't keep them all straight and I'll like it more when it's down to a more reasonable number. Or maybe I'm just over it.

Time will tell.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #64
Cainebj

I don't really care for eliminated dancers having to dance so I think that weird and I always thought seeing the routines of the night had some weight to the outcome -
It was interesting to hear them talk about the dress rehearsals so I am guessing that is what they are using.

First time I recall Nigel trashing a choreographer.
I wish that would happen more often.

and ya know what I hate? I hate when a choreographer choreographs something I like and then I have to admit it. I cannot STAND Tyce Diorio but I liked the opening number only have to eat crow when I found out he did it!
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #65
jradosh
Newlywed

I can't believe they didn't jettison the krumper girl after she stopped "dancing for her life" before the countdown was over.

And I agree it would make more sense to eliminate the dancers at the end of the performance show, not at the beginning.

And for the love of all that's holy, stop the frickin' circular camera shots!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #66
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I don't really care for eliminated dancers having to dance so I think that weird and I always thought seeing the routines of the night had some weight to the outcome -
It was interesting to hear them talk about the dress rehearsals so I am guessing that is what they are using.

First time I recall Nigel trashing a choreographer.
I wish that would happen more often.

and ya know what I hate? I hate when a choreographer choreographs something I like and then I have to admit it. I cannot STAND Tyce Diorio but I liked the opening number only have to eat crow when I found out he did it!
Your comment about Tyce made me laugh out loud.

I've discovered over the seasons that I don't like Tyce's work in a big way. Except that every now and again, he turns out something that I really, really like. Go figure.

And I'll play devil's advocate about the new system of announcing the eliminations and then asking people to dance. One thing that bugs me about Dancing With the Stars is that they announce at the end of the show that the eliminated amateur and have 'a final dance', which is really just a little bit of social noodling on the floor before all the others come out to give them farewell hugs.

With this new system, the audience gets a real 'farewell dance'.

Other than that, though, I think it's stupid and wrong. Why put partners in the headspace where they are prone to lose focus and make mistakes? It's a recipe for disaster. Yes, if they're pros, the show must go on yada yada yada, they have to learn to compartmentalize, but it's stupid and inhumane.

I'd much rather have the bottom threes announced at the top of the show and then have the duets be part of the 'dance for your life' data.

And I've said it before -- I hate the 30-second solos. Yes, if the dancing is not up to snuff, making it 60 seconds instead of 30 seconds is not going to make it any better. But giving people only 30 seconds encourages them to cram all their tricks into a very small bag, instead of taking the time to fill out the music properly. So I say give them the 60 seconds, and let the weaker dancers expose themselves by not being able to fill it out.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #67
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
And I've said it before -- I hate the 30-second solos. Yes, if the dancing is not up to snuff, making it 60 seconds instead of 30 seconds is not going to make it any better. But giving people only 30 seconds encourages them to cram all their tricks into a very small bag, instead of taking the time to fill out the music properly. So I say give them the 60 seconds, and let the weaker dancers expose themselves by not being able to fill it out.
I've always disliked the countdown the audience does at the very end of the 30 second solos. It really encourages the dancers to start ramping up the tricks or cramming in a "wrap up" move.

If they would give the "dance for your life" dancers between 30 and 60 seconds for their routines, it would satisfy both of us. And we wouldn't have weak endings like last week's krumper (whatshername) lamely standing at the end looking tired and lost. (well, maybe we would because she couldn't even fill out 30 seconds!)

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #68
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
I've always disliked the countdown the audience does at the very end of the 30 second solos. It really encourages the dancers to start ramping up the tricks or cramming in a "wrap up" move.

If they would give the "dance for your life" dancers between 30 and 60 seconds for their routines, it would satisfy both of us. And we wouldn't have weak endings like last week's krumper (whatshername) lamely standing at the end looking tired and lost. (well, maybe we would because she couldn't even fill out 30 seconds!)
I doubt that any dancer doesn't know exactly at what point in the music the time expires (and, BTW, it's more like 45 seconds this year instead of 30, possibly because there are only four solos instead of six) and plans their solo around it. I expect that Nigel, Mary, and the choreographers would be able to tell if somebody was "ramping it up" once the countdown started. (Then again, I doubt that the solos have much, if any, impact on who is going to get eliminated - "Well, this is the sixth week in a row you have been in the bottom six, and you clearly can't handle any of the styles assigned to you, but your solos are so incredible that you need to remain in the competition.")

Also, in my opinion, the show is no longer just about the dancers, but has become So You Think You Can Choreograph?; the only difference is, the prize is an Emmy, and the voters are the choreographers on the Emmy panels that choose the nominees and then the winners. This season has the added advantage that it will not have to compete against Smash, which won't have any episodes in the 2013-14 eligibility period.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #69
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Nice, they took viewer feedback and criticism and now eliminations happen at the end of the show now.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #70
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Nice, they took viewer feedback and criticism and now eliminations happen at the end of the show now.
I doubt that "viewer feedback and criticism" had much to do with the decision - otherwise, the announcement of the bottom six and the solos probably would have been at the end as well.

I also noticed that they not only got rid of the audience counting down at the end of each solo, but they didn't turn the set red for the final five seconds like they have in the past; however, it was obvious that Jenna knew in advance exactly when her solo would end, which is a little surprising as the solos all ran 38 seconds from when the music started.

ADD: A couple of other things I noticed:

They didn't save one of the three women (what is it with this show and "girls", anyway - is it a dance thing?) before the solos, like they did last week.

Also, they weren't kidding when the credits say that, "Due to the nature of the dance profession, contestants and judges may have had interaction prior to the show" - Fik-Shun was in the final 18 of Paula Abdul's CBS show (from early 2011) Live to Dance.

Last edited by That Don Guy : 07-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #71
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Fik-Shun was in the final 18 of Paula Abdul's CBS show (from early 2011) Live to Dance.
wow they have really presented him as a wunderkind with no training.
so basically he's a dance reality show ho
whose actually probably got more experience than most of the other contestants.
his stock just went down.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #72
stargazer21

Quote:
Btw, I just wanted you to know that I miss your breakdowns of the show every week.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #73
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
wow they have really presented him as a wunderkind with no training.
so basically he's a dance reality show ho
whose actually probably got more experience than most of the other contestants.
his stock just went down.
He went to a performing arts school for 2 years too. They love to portray them as completely untrained.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #74
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
He went to a performing arts school for 2 years too. They love to portray them as completely untrained.
I heard someone make a comment in an off-stage segment make a comment where they made a distinction between the trained dancers who have come up in the more mainstream genres and "trained street dancers".

I can't remember who it was; I'll have to go back and look for it. Could have been Fik-shun, but it might have been one of the choreographers, talking about melding two different styles.

At any rate, the phrase "trained street dancers" caught my attention, precisely because it was in contrast to the kind of thing you pointed out, where the show likes to talk about "trained" and "untrained" dancers.

"Untrained" may be dance-world code for "dancers who can't pick up someone else's choreography" but that's not the impression it gives to the non-dance-trained audience.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #75
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer21 View Post
Btw, I just wanted you to know that I miss your breakdowns of the show every week.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've gotten lazy the last year or so.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #76
Cainebj

Was there no show last night or did my TiVo miss it?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #77
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
No new show because of the All-Star Game.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #78
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Seven Emmy nominations:
Reality-Competition Program
Cat, for hosting
Lighting design/direction for a variety series
plus four for choreography:
(remember, these are all from Season 9; also, "Top 20 #2" is the week where all 20 danced but then two were eliminated)

Sonya Tayeh:
Possibly Maybe (Allison Holker & Cole Horibe - Top 8)
Turning Page (Tiffany Maher & George Lawrence Jr.- Top 20 #1, repeated in the finale)
Sail (Audrey Case & Tiffany Maher - Top 20 Announced)

Mandy Jo Moore:
The Power Of Love (Tiffany Maher & Ade Obayomi - Top 8, repeated in the finale)
Wild Horses (Lindsay Arnold & Cole Horibe - Top 16)

NappyTabs:
The Circle Of Life (top 10 & all-stars - finale)
The Lovecats (Amelia Lowe & Will Thomas - Top 20 #1, repeated in the finale)
Beautiful People (group number - Top 20 #2)

Travis Wall
Where The Light Gets In (female group - Top 20 Announced)
Without You (Eliana Girard & Alex Wong - Top 10)
Unchained Melody (Audrey Case & Matthew Kazmierczak - Top 20 #1, repeated in the finale)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #79
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

After seeing the 7/23 solos, I am under the impression that the countdown timer is set to hit zero at the pre-planned end of the dancer's solo, as opposed to the dancers being told something like, "You will have exactly 40 seconds."

Also, now that Jasmine Mason was eliminated, Jasmine Harper is "just" Jasmine now.

One more Emmy note: the show can also win one for Costumes for a Variety Program - this is one of those "juried" categories that does not have nominees; instead, every entry is given a "yes" or "no" vote, which has to be pretty much unanimous in order to win an Emmy.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #80
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
After seeing the 7/23 solos, I am under the impression that the countdown timer is set to hit zero at the pre-planned end of the dancer's solo, as opposed to the dancers being told something like, "You will have exactly 40 seconds."
I haven't watched the episode yet...do they explain that in the 7/23 episode, or did you discover this somewhere else?

I also had the impression that when the countdown hits zero, you better figure out a graceful way to end...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
I haven't watched the episode yet...do they explain that in the 7/23 episode, or did you discover this somewhere else?
I timed the solos from when the music starts to when it ends; one was 38 seconds, and a couple of others were 40-41. Also, most of the solos seem to have music that just happens to hit an ending point when the time runs out, rather than having an abrupt stop (say, in the middle of a line).

Quote:
I also had the impression that when the countdown hits zero, you better figure out a graceful way to end...
That's my point - whoever puts the countdown clock on the screen almost certainly is told by somebody in advance exactly how long the solo is supposed to last.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #82
TLTypeS

Pure speculation but they may be given a range of beats (40-45 as an example) as opposed to seconds to complete their routine. I think in the music world, things are based in beats, counts and measures rather than seconds.

TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #83
jehma

Alex Freaking Wong!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #84
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Some Emmy news concerning the show: reportedly, Emmy host Neil Patrick Harris wants all of the Emmy-nominated choreographers to come up with a dance routine for him (and others) to do at the Emmys, and because of this, the Choreography Emmy (or Emmys, since it's one of those "more than one nominee can win without it having to be a tie" categories) will be presented on the main telecast. However, to make room for this category, the Reality Show Host category, where Cat Deeley is nominated, has been demoted to the Creative Arts telecast (which will be on FXX this year, in its usual "heavily edited, the night before the main Emmys" broadcast).

Also, I have a feeling Nigel has a little more say in who gets the two "swing" (they appear in group and duet numbers but not solos) spots on the tour, although I am still under the impression that they would prefer choosing someone who has a specialty style they need to fill a duet.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #85
voripteth
User Advocate

The top 10 are pretty amazing. Nearly every dance with an allstar got a standing ovation. Has anyone compared the dancing level of the current season to the dances from season 1? I'd be curious to see how much things have changed.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #86
mooseAndSquirrel

I haven't been commenting on this season, but it's been one of my favorites. I agree that all of the dancers are great, and I've enjoyed a lot of the choreography. Great opening number with the rocking chairs. I love the fortune teller last week. Katherine's dancing this week was amazing, like she was liquid.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #87
gschrock

I'd been pondering getting tickets to the tour, although I have to admit I don't know if I'd be interested or not, since this was the first year they've actually come near me. Tickets went on presale today, but ended up deciding not to because I just found the pricing to be way too high. Their pricing is putting it right at the level of the Broadway musicals that come through, and for me, that's just putting too high a price on it. Zone 2 pricing is more reasonable, but it's far enough away that it's still not worth it for me. It was a borderline call for me on whether to go anyways, but that pretty much sealed it.

That said, the pricing apparently isn't driving everyone away though. I was pretty surprised that even though it isn't even officially on sale to the public yet, it had still sold a lot of tickets. Most of the zone 1 stuff was sold out (and I have to admit, that was part of my annoyance, because I was looking at paying the same price for row T that people paid for much more reasonable seating. Where it's being held, my preference would be somewhere in the F through I rows or so).
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #88
voripteth
User Advocate

What an amazing season! I was hoping that Amy and Fikshun would win it. It isn't surprising at all that Amy got the more votes than anyone else.

It's great to hear that season 11 has been approved as well!
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #89
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
What an amazing season! I was hoping that Amy and Fikshun would win it. It isn't surprising at all that Amy got the more votes than anyone else.

It's great to hear that season 11 has been approved as well!
Voripeth, do you live in the Eastern or Central time zones? If you do, did they break in the middle of the show for Obama's speech, and if so, how did they handle it?

Out west, it aired as a solid 2-hour block with no overrun, and I didn't notice any particular spot at the one-hour mark where they would have "paused" for the speech. (Presumably, since they were recording the show anyway, for broadcast out west, they would have just cut into the live show at some point, and then started playing the recording from the point of interruption.)

Also, I wasn't surprised that it was picked up for another season; what does Fox have to air in its place? You would think that it would be one of Fox's cheaper shows to produce, except possibly for the music rights.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #90
jehma

They stopped at 9 Eastern for the speech. I was so happy Amy won. I think she's one of the best dancers they've had. I prefer Aaron to FikShun. I think Paul is probably a better dancer than either of them.