TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #361
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If I understand your sig correctly, you currently have 10 tuners available. How is one box going to replace that?
He may not necessarily be trying to replace all ten tuners, just a better allocation of the tuners he has.

That is the value proposistion of the Hub and Spoke vs a Distributed design.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #362
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
If I understand your sig correctly, you currently have 10 tuners available. How is one box going to replace that?
My two Elites will be replaced by one, six tuner, S5 box. I'll still keep my OTA only Premiere. I'll have less tuners but as long as Dymanic Tuner allocation is implemented for my two Minis, I should have the bare minimum of tuners I'll need for my recordings.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #363
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
He may not necessarily be trying to replace all ten tuners, just a better allocation of the tuners he has.

That is the value proposistion of the Hub and Spoke vs a Distributed design.
Then I don't understand why he has 3 TiVos w/10 tuners if he only needs 6 tuners.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #364
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My two Elites will be replaced by one, six tuner, S5 box. I'll still keep my OTA only Premiere. I'll have less tuners but as long as Dymanic Tuner allocation is implemented for my two Minis, I should have the bare minimum of tuners I'll need for my recordings.
Ah. If I had known that the Premiere was OTA only and that you were keeping it, it would have made sense.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #365
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Then I don't understand why he has 3 TiVos w/10 tuners if he only needs 6 tuners.
In my case it makes a lot of sense.

I have a TiVo in my Family room, a TiVo in my Bedroom and a TiVo in my Media room that also feeds a TV in the game room. If I couldn't split the Media room TiVo I would need to add another box for that TV I would have a total of 8 Tuners.

With a 6 Tuner TiVo in the Family room and 3 Mini's I could easily reduce the number of tuners. I do not use all the tuners, but I do need to provide a signal to all these nodes.

And frankly, with 6 cooperative tuners I will get much more value out of the tuners that I do own.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #366
atmuscarella

Quote:
Our better yet if they release a S5 4 tuner OTA unit you could buy that and replace the Premiere also. Back to 10 tuners and all new latest addition hardware.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 07-10-2013 at 11:38 AM.
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #367
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
If I could make it happen, I'd solidify the TiVo user base against buying any newer product, until TiVo fixes/finishes what they already sold. Somebody made a good point about how, unless lifetime service is involved, we still pay TiVo every month to use our existing equipment, no matter how old it is. Unfortunately, it seems most of the TiVo user base will buy ANYTHING TiVo releases. It's a phenomenon, which hurts those of us that can't afford the upgrading. The way I see it, the original Premiere, is currently the product it SHOULD HAVE BEEN, the day it was released to retail. It still has a lot of issues to address, and instead of focusing on that, TiVo is shifting effort to release something "new". Unfortunately, people will buy it.
I am all for TiVo supporting software updates for existing units but not moving forward with updated hardware would assure TiVo's failure. The Premiere's hardware is out dated and not able to perform the tasks and at the level that people want. TiVo needs to get an updated 6 tuner whole home system out there yesterday and an updated entry level 4 tuner combined OTA/Cable unit wouldn't hurt.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #368
lpwcomp

Quote:
In my case it makes a lot of sense.

I have a TiVo in my Family room, a TiVo in my Bedroom and a TiVo in my Media room that also feeds a TV in the game room. If I couldn't split the Media room TiVo I would need to add another box for that TV I would have a total of 8 Tuners.

With a 6 Tuner TiVo in the Family room and 3 Mini's I could easily reduce the number of tuners. I do not use all the tuners, but I do need to provide a signal to all these nodes.

And frankly, with 6 cooperative tuners I will get much more value out of the tuners that I do own.
Your case is different but while going to 6 cooperative tuners simplifies your "job" as it were, I do not see how you are getting more value.

IMHO, it requires more than just dynamic tuner allocation in order for a mini to be a full replacement for a TiVo. You need to be able to start a recording on the active tuner and save the live buffer.

Distributed processing has at least one advantage over hub and spoke - one less single point of full failure.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #369
atmuscarella

Quote:
Distributed processing has at least one advantage over hub and spoke - one less single point of full failure.
That has always been my opinion plus with only 1 DVR you have limited storage without moving recordings to a computer (which isn't possible for everyone anymore). That said if they do release a 4 tuner OTA unit I will buy it and replace 2 of my current units.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #370
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Why wouldn't I buy it? I'll sell my S4 boxes to cover the cost of the new hardware. And have zero to very little out of pocket cost to me. I would be crazy not to upgrade.

And in the process I'll eventually be down to one cable card. I had eight cable cards(ten if you count when I had Comcast and FiOS) at one time when I had my OLED S3 boxes and TiVoHD boxes.
When I'm finally down to one cable card that will be only $4 a month in cable card fees. At one point I was paying $24 a month for cable cards.
No offense intended, but you are part of the class of TiVo users/buyers "anomaly" I described, where you blindly buy whatever TiVo releases next. You then *seem to* always state you don't have issues that others report. If anybody calls you out on that, you then say that you might be experiencing some issues, "but, they are only minor ones".

I'm never going to back down from reporting my experiences, and reporting when I'm not alone, just because you always are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

There's NOTHING WRONG with what you do, UNLESS you set out on a crusade to convince people that based on your experiences/interpretations of what grade an issue is needs to be based on your own, thus *basically* telling everybody else their experiences/interpretations are wrong, with a very high bias.

I do take the time to make sure that I "take it all in", and make sure that I'm not the only one who has experiences/interpretations of new TiVo products. I'm fully aware, that there will be defective units, which find their way to small numbers, and then it is only those unfortunate souls who suffer the worst.

I'm still so intrigued by your bias, that I still wonder if you aren't part of a covert stealth effort to do PR for TiVo, under the guise of being an everyday Joe. Again, no offense intended. It just looks like PR, smells like PR, walks like PR, and talks like PR. I think we all know what the rest of that borrowed analogy ends with.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #371
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Our better yet if they release a S5 4 tuner OTA unit you could buy that and replace the Premiere also. Back to 10 tuners and all new latest addition hardware.
I mainly use my OTA only Premiere to take recordings from FIOS over to my GFs house. But it can also be used as a backup if my FiOS connection goes down.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #372
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

No offense intended, but you are part of the class of TiVo users/buyers "anomaly" I described, where you blindly buy whatever TiVo releases next. You then *seem to* always state you don't have issues that others report. If anybody calls you out on that, you then say that you might be experiencing some issues, "but, they are only minor ones".

I'm never going to back down from reporting my experiences, and reporting when I'm not alone, just because you always are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

There's NOTHING WRONG with what you do, UNLESS you set out on a crusade to convince people that based on your experiences/interpretations of what grade an issue is needs to be based on your own, thus *basically* telling everybody else their experiences/interpretations are wrong, with a very high bias.

I do take the time to make sure that I "take it all in", and make sure that I'm not the only one who has experiences/interpretations of new TiVo products. I'm fully aware, that there will be defective units, which find their way to small numbers, and then it is only those unfortunate souls who suffer the worst.

I'm still so intrigued by your bias, that I still wonder if you aren't part of a covert stealth effort to do PR for TiVo, under the guise of being an everyday Joe. Again, no offense intended. It just looks like PR, smells like PR, walks like PR, and talks like PR. I think we all know what the rest of that borrowed analogy ends with.
I have not been called out on anything. If I notice any issues I have always posted about them. I have never said any TiVo was problem free. Heck I've never owned any electronic device that was problem free. Every device out there has has some type of issue, they are just typically minor issues. Of course it really depends on how you use the device. What is considered minor to one person could be considered major to another.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #373
sbiller

DTA coming to RCN Mid-September

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...92#post9727692
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #374
innocentfreak

Quote:
I have not been called out on anything. If I notice any issues I have always posted about them. I have never said any TiVo was problem free. Heck I've never owned any electronic device that was problem free. Every device out there has has some type of issue, they are just typically minor issues. Of course it really depends on how you use the device. What is considered minor to one person could be considered major to another.
I definitely agree here. The way I use my TiVo I never seem to see the issues other complain about. I also do things completely different then most people. KMTTG is my go to tool for just about everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #375
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I just want to say, I DO appreciate the civility in how you respond. I'm so tired of the trolls, politic-like ways that people tend to revert to, personal attacks, and how some act like a rabid dog, that has been cornered.

This isn't the first time I've implied my suspicions that you are doing covert PR for TiVo. What stands out, is that you chose not to confirm, or deny it.

I understand you may have your reasons. So, I'll try and back off on that matter.

So, moving along, do you experience the major issue that others have reported, with the 4-tuner units? Do you get un-tuned channels, with black screens? Are you somehow blessed without having to deal with that? That well-reported issue has been the very reason I have stacks of 2-tuner models, and pay for twice as many cable cards, every month.

After having to live with the, basically, same issue on HD units, which TiVo refused to acknowledge was even an issue, until they were certain they had a fix, which rolled out past the end-of-life point, I don't want to be thrust into the same situation, should I choose to move from 2-tuner, to 4-tuner models. Given the speed, more like lack thereof, of TiVo's fixes, from experience (which has been shared experience), that's the biggest step I'm willing to take, at this time. I'm unwilling to buy any newer product, on blind-faith alone. If others do buy the newest product, and report no such issue, and that holds for some time, then, and only then, will I consider a bigger leap of faith.

If your units are so very well made, and so very well working, maybe I should arrange to be the buyer for your units, and put faith in you, and that you are telling the whole truth.

Here's something I'd like for you to consider: If you were forced to ONLY run the software that came factory-installed on all your Tivos, would it change your perspective, at all? It's just a curiosity, and a well-thought-over, honest answer would be much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #376
innocentfreak

Quote:
So, moving along, do you experience the major issue that others have reported, with the 4-tuner units? Do you get un-tuned channels, with black screens? Are you somehow blessed without having to deal with that? That well-reported issue has been the very reason I have stacks of 2-tuner models, and pay for twice as many cable cards, every month.
I can only say for me, but I have never once seen this issue on my Elite.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #377
atmuscarella

Quote:
Here's something I'd like for you to consider: If you were forced to ONLY run the software that came factory-installed on all your Tivos, would it change your perspective, at all? It's just a curiosity, and a well-thought-over, honest answer would be much appreciated.
I am uncertain what you mean by this, I was unaware that anyone was running anything but factory software on their Premiere units. Or are you talking about the stuff people use on there PCs?

I don't have a Premiere 4/XL4 as I am only OTA but I have not seen many issues with my Premiere beyond not being able to deal with OTA multipath reception issues as well as the older Series 3 boxes do (as a side note my HDHomerun OTA tuner is on par with the Premiere). Even back when people where calling the Premiere a big piece of sh** mine was working fine. I will admit I continued to use the SDUI for a long time as I liked using the same UI on all my units but have finally moved to the HDUI even through I really don't care one way or the other about it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 07-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #378
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I definitely agree here. The way I use my TiVo I never seem to see the issues other complain about.
+1

I use my TiVos as DVRs and they do a pretty darn good job. My HTPC, smart TV, and Roku handle everything else. It's individual preference but I don't expect anything do do every job perfectly or to ever find a true "one" box.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #379
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I am uncertain what you mean by this, I was unaware that anyone was running anything but factory software on their Premiere units. Or are you talking about the stuff people use on there PCs?
What I meant, and honestly thought was clear, is a hypothetical (since it's not possible) situation, in which the end-user could only use the software revision on the hard drive, at the time the TiVo was manufactured. No updates, just whatever software was originally installed, but with the ability to download guide data (minus any software updates), and keep active TiVo service.

Each TiVo drive has a sticker on it that says what software revision was on the drive, before it was assembled into the unit, and shipped. In the case of a Premiere TCD746320, 2-tuner model, that would be 14.4 or 14.5, at the time my Premieres were completed assemblies.

I'm sure some of us remember 14.4 and 14.5 software, and how crippled it was, in comparison to later *downloaded* versions, which are installed at the time of a TiVo Service connection, in the end-user's home, not at the factory.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #380
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I definitely agree here. The way I use my TiVo I never seem to see the issues other complain about. I also do things completely different then most people. KMTTG is my go to tool for just about everything.
I can also relate, and generally agree with this. Everybody is competing for the "One Box", that gets to be plugged into HDMI input #1. It's resulted in it being nearly impossible to buy any device that only does one thing (DVR/BD players, TVs, Game Consoles, etc.), which hasn't really done much for the consumer, looking for a DVR, that is the best it can be. There's too much dilution building in all the extras. That time and effort (and limited hardware resources) could be, instead, focused on being a better DVR.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #381
atmuscarella

Quote:
What I meant, and honestly thought was clear, is a hypothetical (since it's not possible) situation, in which the end-user could only use the software revision on the hard drive, at the time the TiVo was manufactured. No updates, just whatever software was originally installed, but with the ability to download guide data (minus any software updates), and keep active TiVo service.

Each TiVo drive has a sticker on it that says what software revision was on the drive, before it was assembled into the unit, and shipped. In the case of a Premiere TCD746320, 2-tuner model, that would be 14.4 or 14.5, at the time my Premieres were completed assemblies.

I'm sure some of us remember 14.4 and 14.5 software, and how crippled it was, in comparison to later *downloaded* versions, which are installed at the time of a TiVo Service connection, in the end-user's home, not at the factory.
Ok understand now, well if that were the case it would suck, my Premiere came with the 14.?? software and while it worked there sure has been allot of improvements since then, same for the Series 3 units.

But the reality is every connect device I have has had important software updates after I owned the device. My receiver, blu-ray player, NAS units, all the streaming devices (I own 4 - Roku, Western digital, Netgear, & Google TV) and of course all my computers. If manufactures couldn't do software updates after shipping a device either our devices would suck our we would be waiting much longer before stuff is released.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 07-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #382
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
<SNIP>

<SNIP>
My first TiVo purchase was a 2 Tuner Premiere in July 2011, It was a 30 day trial, and I fully expected to cancel service at the end, based mostly on all the negative talk here. But within a week or so I was completely sold on the product, and that was before the HDUI updates, and before MRS. But it was the leaked SW Vers in summer 2011 that briefly enabled MRS that was my deciding factor to purchase and try 2 Premieres.

I know this was not directed at me, but I am 99.5% satisfied with my Elite/XL4. I have also not experienced any major issues that would make me reconsider my purchase, I would purchase another if i needed and would recommend it to anyone looking, and have. Is it perfect, no. Have I missed 1 or 2 recordings in the last year, yes. but only a couple.

I have experienced the all blank tuners a few times, maybe 3 to 5x's in the last year, But do not consider it to be an issue for me. I will say I have also experienced it a few times on the 2 Tuner.

Note, I am also using a SDV Tuning Adapter and have relatively no issues with it's reliability. It also is probably 99.9% reliable.

And no, I do not do PR work for TiVo.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #383
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Ok understand now, well if that were the case it would suck, my Premiere came with the 14.?? software and while it worked there sure has been allot of improvements since then, same for the Series 3 units.

But the reality is every connect device I have has had important software updates after I owned the device. My receiver, blu-ray player, NAS units, all the streaming devices (I own 4 - Roku, Western digital, Netgear, & Google TV) and of course all my computers. If manufactures couldn't do software updates after shipping a device either our devices would suck our we would be waiting much longer before stuff is released.
As you say, if you had just bought a Premiere, but were stuck with the original software, It would suck. If you bought any TiVo that came before, and were stuck with the original software, it would suck.

So, bear with me, and give a little leeway: Is it so hard to make a logical conclusion, that any entirely new TiVo platform, will come with software that... wait for it... SUCKS. Think about how long it has taken every platform to reach a software revision level that doesn't completely suck.

Aaronwt is always upgrading. I think, if he could, he'd be the first customer to actually own every TiVo product they bring to market, even though the software that comes on it, will likely, logically, suck. Again, no offense intended, to aaronwt.

The key is getting out updates with bug-fixes, hardware issue workarounds, and new/improved features, as quickly as possible. Anything that distracts the company from doing that, extends the "suckage" factor.

I've lost count of how many updates there have been. Some should have never made it past initial testing, without being sent back to the drawing board. Far too many add things that nobody I know of even wanted, and don't fix anything. Some break things that were working just fine, until they went and added something extra.

I do understand the "reality" you speak of. I'm also an owner of several WD TV, RoKu, and other "smart" or "bundled to the teeth" products, which routinely receive updates. These products utterly blow TiVo out-of-the-water, when it comes to streaming internet movies, streaming internet TV, games, and so many other things. Why not just leave those functions to those products, which so many already have, anyway?

A few people have directly, or indirectly, said that "we have to buy whatever new things TiVo releases, to insure survival of TiVo". I find that mentality disturbing. If that is truly the case, maybe going-out-of-business could be the BEST thing that could happen for TiVo and its user base. Somebody would buy the rights, and hopefully knock off this unofficial "why innovate, when we can litigate" stance that TiVo took on.

There is no way that we would wind up without Guide Data. Somebody would step-up, and take that over. As far as updates, maybe they wouldn't be free anymore, but maybe, just maybe, they'd be worth a small fee. I'd pay for QUALITY, properly-tested updates.

I'm going to disclose that I have never owned stock in TiVo. I feel that those who are going to rain fire and brimstone over this post, are likely going to be stockholders. So, I feel that if anybody wants to come-at-me over the death of TiVo possibly being the best thing that could happen to TiVo, and for TiVo users, disclose if they have a financial stake in the company.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #384
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
My first TiVo purchase was a 2 Tuner Premiere in July 2011, It was a 30 day trial, and I fully expected to cancel service at the end, based mostly on all the negative talk here. But within a week or so I was completely sold on the product, and that was before the HDUI updates, and before MRS. But it was the leaked SW Vers in summer 2011 that briefly enabled MRS that was my deciding factor to purchase and try 2 Premieres.

I know this was not directed at me, but I am 99.5% satisfied with my Elite/XL4. I have also not experienced any major issues that would make me reconsider my purchase, I would purchase another if i needed and would recommend it to anyone looking, and have. Is it perfect, no. Have I missed 1 or 2 recordings in the last year, yes. but only a couple.

I have experienced the all blank tuners a few times, maybe 3 to 5x's in the last year, But do not consider it to be an issue for me. I will say I have also experienced it a few times on the 2 Tuner.

Note, I am also using a SDV Tuning Adapter and have relatively no issues with it's reliability. It also is probably 99.9% reliable.

And no, I do not do PR work for TiVo.
I have no issues with you, at all. You're one of my favorite contributors to these forums.

I'd have to say, that by the time you were sold on the Premiere 2-Tuner models, it was around the same time I was finally feeling that the product had potential, as opposed to suffering buyer's remorse. That was around the time that some of the best updates were rolling. Anything before that time, wasn't making me feel any better about buying the product.

Thanks for the input. I've never seen you post anything that wasn't credible, or couldn't be backed-up by others, or some research.

So far, my Tuning Adapters aren't doing anything, except IMPROVING the quality and stability of my signal. I still have a couple weeks before they flip the switch and they are mandatory.

FWIW: I used the in-line/pass-through method. I have no idea why Cox would instruct to use a splitter before the TA. So far, the only downside to not doing that is a complete loss of signal to the TiVos, if the power button accidentally gets pressed (it's right on the front), or the power to the TAs is otherwise interrupted. I also left out the MoCa POE filters, since I don't use MoCa. A word of advice to those who have their TiVos on battery-backup: Don't forget the TAs.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-10-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #385
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
FWIW: I used the in-line/pass-through method. I have no idea why Cox would instruct to use a splitter before the TA. So far, the only downside to not doing that is a complete loss of signal to the TiVos, if the power button accidentally gets pressed (it's right on the front), or the power to the TAs is otherwise interrupted. A word of advice to those who have their TiVos on battery-backup: Don't forget the TAs.
The reason the signal is lost when the Cisco TA is powered down is because it is not a true RF pass-thru, it is a signal amp of 3dB. With the power off/cut the amplifier is off.

See my explanation here as to why Cox shows the use of the splitter and POE filter.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...34#post9725734

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-10-2013 at 06:31 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #386
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What I do not understand is why you get so angry / frustrated at people who are satisfied with their TiVo's.

I disagree with something you said several posts ago - and I am too lazy to go find it now. But you said something to the effect that most people are dissatisfied with their TiVo's... But I just do not think that is reality.

Is TiVo best in class OTT? Nope... I do not use a lot of OTT - my kids like Netflix and that seems to work fine for them. But as a DVR, most people that purchase them love them.

If I were as angry at a company as you are, I would have left years ago. The cable company DVR's are getting a lot more competitive - they are not cheap, but they seem to work better then they did in the past.

Have you ever considered switching to another product? Life to too short to allow something as inconsequential as a DVR to bring so much stress in your life.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #387
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
What I do not understand is why you get so angry / frustrated at people who are satisfied with their TiVo's.

I disagree with something you said several posts ago - and I am too lazy to go find it now. But you said something to the effect that most people are dissatisfied with their TiVo's... But I just do not think that is reality.

Is TiVo best in class OTT? Nope... I do not use a lot of OTT - my kids like Netflix and that seems to work fine for them. But as a DVR, most people that purchase them love them.

If I were as angry at a company as you are, I would have left years ago. The cable company DVR's are getting a lot more competitive - they are not cheap, but they seem to work better then they did in the past.

Have you ever considered switching to another product? Life to too short to allow something as inconsequential as a DVR to bring so much stress in your life.
I understand what you are saying. I think you may have misread something I posted. Maybe I contradicted myself. I'm not perfect.

I tried the other possibilities for my area/market. Centurylink is just DSL, doing cable, poorly, and has DSL speed. That leaves Cox, which is who has been the monopoly, and for the most part, still is. The only thing I could change would be to use their equipment. It sucks. It can't be expanded. Even a few loose-lipped Cox techs disclosed that their new whole-home DVR solution is a defective product. So, the only choices left are:

A: Defective whole home product from Cox.

B: Antique, always breaking down, old DVR boxes from Cox.

C: Centurylink, when they get around to running DSL-capable copper in my neighborhood, and stone-age internet.

D: Over-The-Air only.

I'll admit I'm angry over the lack of *viable* choices. I'll admit, as disappointed as I am in TiVo, it's still better than the alternatives (in my market).

But, should that make me happy, when it comes to TiVo, when I know, with 100% certainty, it could be a MUCH better product than it is? I'm thankful for TiVo being an option. I'm just very unhappy with the way they conduct themselves, like:

A: Mindset of "why innovate, when we can litigate", to make money.

B: Releasing defective/incomplete products.

C: Updates that can take a TiVo which has been not frustrating me at all, and make me want to take it outside and shoot it.

I'm also beginning to feel like somebody who dares to speak their mind, when their iPhone malfunctions, in an Apple fanboy forum, where everybody wants to tell you to "just leave", just because you aren't happy. There's a reason I don't buy Apple products. The TiVo "Community" is becoming more and more like the "Apple can do no wrong, and produces perfect products community", where if your product spontaneously combusts, everybody tells you it was the user, not the product. That's a community I want no part of. I haven't given up hope, here, yet. There are still enough real people here, who haven't become the equivalent of iPeople or iRobots (sweeping away anything but praise for the product).

If I ever do leave these forums, it will be because I -did- abandon TiVo. Otherwise, I'm here to stay.

One thing that could really improve my attitude towards TiVo: 100% DLNA implementation. TiVo is the only entertainment device throughout the whole house that isn't able to use DLNA. Think of all the potential possibilities, one addition could create.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-10-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #388
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I don't think TiVo is going to implement a DNLA compliant architecture. I suspect it is a business decision to keep the architecture proprietary. That doesn't mean to say there may not be some concerns about DRM, but my personal opinion is that DNLA open isn't a direction TiVo "wants" to go in.

I purchased the OLED S3 as soon as it was available on the market. It was really a ground breaking design eliminating the need for a cable box and allowing access to High Definition programming through the TiVo.

It is a great box, but it predated other available technologies such as the Multi-Stream cable card. TiVo's (and My) desire to be cutting edge came with some risks - and the OLED S3 cannot handle a single multi-stream card. OK - that is fine.

The Premier came out and I agree the UI was incomplete and it was definitely slower then it should have been. But the updates have improved it quite a bit - I have no nagging problems with my Premier (in the way I use it). As I said, out of three TiVo's it is my primary box.

My biggest complaint about TiVo was a two year development malaise while they focused on litigation. I am sure money was very tight, but it almost killed them.

I disagree that TiVo used litigation as a revenue strategy. The rate that the competitors were stealing TiVo's intelectual property forced them to make litigation a priority. Without the courts, TiVo would have been gone years ago.

With all that said:

TiVo has really ramped up the tempo on development and innovation over the last 18 months. It is fun to watch and predict what is coming next.

My friendly advice to you - for what it is worth... Try not to get drug down into the past. Look at what has been delivered and what is on the horizon. It is pretty good stuff.

Will it all be perfect on release day? Nope!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #389
ggieseke

Just throwing my two bits in here, but I think that DLNA is massively overrated and I don't really understand why TiVo owners keep asking for it. The formats that it supports are severely limited, and the software that I've seen so far blows technicolor chunks.

I tried to the extent of my patience but lame implementations, lame installers, and CPU utilizations that were ridiculous without even USING the software made me run away screaming in horror.

Your mileage may vary and I'm obviously not adverse to giving away months of work for free, but IMHO it's crap at best. Why castigate TiVo for not supporting it?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #390
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

i am not having that issue with my Elites. But I am also on FiOS and I think the people on FiOS have had fewer problems. One box I have is a launch Elite and my second Elite was purchased five or six months later.(right before they changed the name).

In my main setup I have a Mini and an Elite. And I am mainly using the Mini to watch content. So i don't use the Elite in that room to watch content very much any more. But whenever i do i have not seen any blank channels and the recordings have not been having any issues.

When the S5 comes out my plan is to put that in my main setup and move that Mini to my secondary setup which also has an Elite right now.

i would run the S5 in tandem with my Elites for a couple of weeks and then sell off oen Elite and then a couple of weeks later sell off the seocnd Elite. That way if i do have any major issues with the S5, I won't be hosed. Especially since it will probably be released during the fall Tv season. So i might even wait until all the re-runs to start in December before i think about selling my Elites.

of course anything could happen and the S5 might not even show up this year.

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.