TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
sbiller

Wheezy Waiter: A TiVo User Speaks Up

Wheezy Waiter Video

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
HomeUser

Old 07-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
atmuscarella

I am confused did I slip into an alternate universe where TiVo:
  1. Has a built in blu-ray player so I don't need a stand alone blu-ray player?
  2. Works like a HTPC for streaming sites like Hulu (and others) that don't work with normal streaming devices so I no longer need a HTPC?
  3. Actually has a full set of fully functional streaming services like Vudu, Amazon Prime Streaming, Netflix, and dozens of others that work well, so I no longer need another streaming device?
I didn't think so, until then this one device Bull S**t is just that.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I am confused did I slip into an alternate universe where TiVo:
  1. Has a built in blu-ray player so I don't need a stand alone blu-ray player?
  2. Works like a HTPC for streaming sites like Hulu (and others) that don't work with normal streaming devices so I no longer need a HTPC?
  3. Actually has a full set of fully functional streaming services like Vudu, Amazon Prime Streaming, Netflix, and dozens of others that work well, so I no longer need another streaming device?
I didn't think so, until then this one device Bull S**t is just that.
Come on! It is called advertising! Stretching the truth a little is part of the game. FWIW, customer satisfaction and churn on the TiVo Premiere is actually pretty high.

I think the biggest issue right now is the lack of a working Netflix application and a streaming Amazon application. I have Vudu access on a number of devices but hardly use it.

Would adding Vudu to the TiVo platform really be a discriminator?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

No need to be confused. You're just reading way more into it than was said. The only claim that he actually makes is that you can use the tivo for, tv shows, music, and web videos. The majority of it is just a bunch of meaningless filler.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Come on! It is called advertising! Stretching the truth a little is part of the game. FWIW, customer satisfaction and churn on the TiVo Premiere is actually pretty high.

I think the biggest issue right now is the lack of a working Netflix application and a streaming Amazon application. I have Vudu access on a number of devices but hardly use it.

Would adding Vudu to the TiVo platform really be a discriminator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
No need to be confused. You're just reading way more into it than was said. The only claim that he actually makes is that you can use the tivo for, tv shows, music, and web videos. The majority of it is just a bunch of meaningless filler.
My response was somewhat "tung in cheek" thus the alternate universe comment. The reality is I never expected nor ever expect TiVo to be anything near a "one box" option. However, I do believe that the "one box" marketing/advertising (even if it is only insinuated) is a terrible for TiVo because anyone with 1/2 a brain quickly finds out it is bull s**t, which I am guessing then gives people a pretty negative view of TiVo in general.

TiVo could become more of a streaming box than it is, but pretty much everything new (TVs, blu-ray, players, gaming consoles, plus stand alone streaming devices) streams and most do it "good enough" for the majority of the people, which is what I expect from the next hardware update from TiVo to provide; good enough streaming.

Given that I have streaming devices from 4 different manufactures and an HTPC attached to my main TV I really don't care what services TiVo offers, just think they should have more than average (that work well) as a premium device.

What I do like is being able to sub to pod casts and have them auto download to my TiVo, but I am afraid that model is not where TiVo is going which is disappointing to me.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Ugh. Just noticed this video is on the tivo.com homepage.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Ugh. Just noticed this video is on the tivo.com homepage.
TiVo needs to spend more time FIXING their product than trying to convince everyone it's a superior product by "stretching the truth"
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Wheezy obviously didn't have to deal with using a Tuning Adapter and CableCARD on Time Warner Southwest Ohio.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Time for a new product then they can let the old product die.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

For what it does, the Tivo is fine - but I agree, the OTT capabilities are poor at best. (Maybe the new box will improve?)

As for blu-ray? Physical media is dead!

One thing I always liked about TiVo was the mostly community developed flexibility that it offered. Storing content on my home server and accessing it on demand was very cool...

It seems to me that TiVo is slowly becoming less friendly to that model. Time will tell.

.... I kind of like the advertisement FWIW
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
supasta

I used to enjoy his videos back in his early YouTube days. I haven't seen any in a while.

Better than Tebow.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Bigg

They should be able to have an OTT video experience as good as Roku. But they don't. However, I think they should focus on finishing/fixing the DVR experience first before they get distracted with more OTT stuff that can easily be fixed by plopping a Roku next to the TiVo Premiere.

That video is so unrealistic. The TiVo doesn't replace all the other boxes. My baseline setup, not including game consoles and legacy equipment, has a Roku, Apple TV, TiVo, HTPC, AVR, Blu-ray, and video processor.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote