TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Hello1233333

Netflix issues

This has probably been discussed, but I've searched for an hour and couldn't come up with any solution. I've contacted Tivo & Netflix and they keep telling to ask the other company. So I have no answers, and I'm hoping maybe one of you can help me out.

I have a Series 4 with a wireless adapter. They told me to try to hardwire my TiVo to the modem but that's not possible for me to do.

Anyway, the videos on Netflix aren't streaming consistently, most of the time it works, but once every week (random days, and it has been getting worse lately) the videos won't stream. I can load up the Netflix app, and the queue and suggestions are showing up but there's an error when I launch the video. (Hulu and YouTube work perfectly 100% of the time)

I get 10+mbps where my TiVo is according to a speed test I ran on my phone. My signal strength on TiVo is 85% and that's pretty average. My PS3 runs netflix in my room but I like to keep that out in the living room. Basically Netflix works on every device perfectly except TiVo.

So could it still be a network problem? Since everything is fine I honestly don't know what my ISP could possibly do.

I hope that was enough details, sorry if that was tough to read, I posted this on my phone.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help.
Hello1233333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

You will want to check into interference issues. Those can come and go and cause problems with video streaming. Try changing wireless channels as an easy first step.

A wireless bridge may also be worth looking into.

Not sure why you cannot connect ethernet, but that has always fixed my streaming issues compared to a wireless adapter.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
abqdan

The Tivo platform just isn't capable of running apps effectively. Any number of factors produce problems, from no service at all to pixelation, audio drop outs and stuttering during playback. If you search some of the other threads related to Netflix and HuluPlus, you'll see that many responders have given up completely. I tried for a long time to use Tivo as my one source of programming; but I finally broke down and bought a Roku box for one room, and a WD Live TV for another. Both of these cheap little boxes stream Netflix content without a single problem. While people will try to tell you the problem is interference, your network, your router, your ISP... the real problem is that Tivo sucks at doing apps. We can hope in a future box they'll figure it out, but right now, it simply doesn't work right.

My advice - buy a $60 Roku and save yourself the heartache.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
shamilian

here are some things to look for....

first make sure you have the latest update.

second check your wireless interference. ( you may want to choose another channel to avoid other peoples routers/Access points.

third check your DNS entries your ISP may have chosen netflix servers badly. You can play with more global DNS servers like google or openDNS.

fourth use Moca, this is much more reliable.

Last edited by shamilian : 05-30-2013 at 07:27 PM.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdan View Post
The Tivo platform just isn't capable of running apps effectively. Any number of factors produce problems, from no service at all to pixelation, audio drop outs and stuttering during playback. If you search some of the other threads related to Netflix and HuluPlus, you'll see that many responders have given up completely. I tried for a long time to use Tivo as my one source of programming; but I finally broke down and bought a Roku box for one room, and a WD Live TV for another. Both of these cheap little boxes stream Netflix content without a single problem. While people will try to tell you the problem is interference, your network, your router, your ISP... the real problem is that Tivo sucks at doing apps. We can hope in a future box they'll figure it out, but right now, it simply doesn't work right.

I have absolutely no issues with netflix on any box, they are both hardwired. So, this is not a universal problem, and if you go to a roku forum you'll also find those with problems.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Hello1233333

Thanks for the replies.

My modem and the TiVo is in the opposite room, I guess I could test it and see if that helps but it wouldn't be a solution since I can't run a cord from the modem to my room. (At least I don't think I can.)

I do have other devices but they're unplugged when I'm not using them. (Only my phone is in use at all times) It shouldn't be interference from a neighbor's router because I can't pick up any other signal but my own.

I read one of the threads about the update, i currently have 20.2.2.1 but I don't think that's the updated one because I'm pretty sure the new one is 20.3 or something, I tried to force connect multiple times to see if it'll update but it wouldn't.

I'll check out the DNS settings this weekend and if that doesn't work I may look into getting another Netflix device along with my TiVo.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Hello1233333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

Interference is not just from other routers, but anything that uses those same frequencies.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Interference is not just from other routers, but anything that uses those same frequencies.
This is true Bluetooth devices operate of the same band as the common 2.4ghz wireless band.

You never mentioned who you isp is. Until recently I was in a Clear contract due to throttling streaming video would became unwatchable. Throttling is still practiced by some
isp's despite their argument for throttling has long been proven as bull.

Clear being wireless over saturates towers and can't deliver promised speeds on a reliable basis.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
jwmccnn99

I recently re-activated my Netflix account to watch Arrested Development and I cannot get my Premiere XL-4 to log on. It says that it is "Connecting" and after it finally connects it says "Loading Titles"....and it just sits there. Luckily I can access Netflix through my Samsung TV and it works fine. Through my Tivo, I have tried to let it log on for over 30 minutes and it just sits on "Loading Titles". Anyone else have this problem? This is not a very good service through Tivo. I have my Premiere XL-4 hard wired to my modem and I do not have to use any tuning adapters. All the other apps, like Comcast on-demend, work fine.
jwmccnn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
mdm08033

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdan View Post
What he said. I bought a $92 Roku 2XS last year and the family has abandoned the TiVo Premiere for streaming. Now one box streams Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Instant Video, PBS, VeVo, NBC News and HBOGo. I have my Roku wired to the router and don't use the wifi. From 9 feet away the picture quality is very good on my 58" plasma. Even with this setup there is the stray pause or dropout but not enough to complain about.

If you can't run an ethernet cable, you might consider using a Ethernet Over Power solution. I was turned onto the Zyxel EOP boxes from the Home Theater Guys Podcast. I use it for an old PC in my son's room and Netflix works just fine.

Roku is actively seeking harware partners and in my dreams TiVo will cut a check. I would be happy to buy a new TiVo that had a "Powered by Roku" logo.

Cheers, Michael
mdm08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
here are some things to look for....

first make sure you have the latest update.
Be careful because sometimes the updates are what causes the most problems when it works the other 98% of the time.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
autotheist

Response to 'loading title' problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmccnn99 View Post
I recently re-activated my Netflix account to watch Arrested Development and I cannot get my Premiere XL-4 to log on. It says that it is "Connecting" and after it finally connects it says "Loading Titles"....and it just sits there. Luckily I can access Netflix through my Samsung TV and it works fine. Through my Tivo, I have tried to let it log on for over 30 minutes and it just sits on "Loading Titles". Anyone else have this problem? This is not a very good service through Tivo. I have my Premiere XL-4 hard wired to my modem and I do not have to use any tuning adapters. All the other apps, like Comcast on-demend, work fine.
Go to messages and settings. Choose settings. Look for 'Netflix Account'. Click it. Deactivate your device and try again. I had the same problem I tried to login the first time with my Premiere4 but after deactivating the device and trying to login again, it worked.

I'm having issues with intermittently not being able to pause shows I'm watching and hanging on a black screen after a movie is finished playing. I have occasionally had to reset my Tivo because of these issues. Anyone know what is up with this? Any solutions?
autotheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotheist View Post
Go to messages and settings. Choose settings. Look for 'Netflix Account'. Click it. Deactivate your device and try again. I had the same problem I tried to login the first time with my Premiere4 but after deactivating the device and trying to login again, it worked.

I'm having issues with intermittently not being able to pause shows I'm watching and hanging on a black screen after a movie is finished playing. I have occasionally had to reset my Tivo because of these issues. Anyone know what is up with this? Any solutions?
Known issue with the 20.3.1 software update which TiVo is aware of and has hinted at a patch being in the works to fix it, but of course no specifics like a timeframe have been given.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
sghrush

Netflix streaming resolution

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I recently changed from TWC to Cox Cable since I'm no longer living in a TWC area. Cox interfaces with Netflix's Super HD. When I used to play Neflix movies with TWC, the resolution would change to 1080 after about 30 seconds to a minute. With Cox, the resolution stays at 720p. Interestingly, my internet speed is much faster now and using powerline at 300Mbps. Why is the resolution not changing up to 1080 anymore? Is this part of the new Tivo update?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Known issue with the 20.3.1 software update which TiVo is aware of and has hinted at a patch being in the works to fix it, but of course no specifics like a timeframe have been given.
Yes it is called the fall update will see it in october
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Yes it is called the fall update will see it in october
This true or is this just speculation?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
compnurd

Quote: