TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Dexter 7/7/13

Let me be the first to say it: can Vogel be the new killer?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
dowalker

My thinking also.
dowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Legion

Yeah I thought that a well last week. He reappearance at Metro concides with the new killer. She has medical training as a Psychiatrist, so she would be comfortable around a cadaver.

Will she be the one that puts an end to Dexter? One way or another? Wrap up her life's work, so to speak?
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
pmyers

She sure is manipulating him.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
AeneaGames

I think she is starting to realise they made a mistake and that Dexter is not a psychopath.

He has emotions, he cares about Deb a lot, he needs someone to talk to what Dr. Vogel was surprised about, etc., etc.

And the thought someone had in last week's episode that Dexter might kill her since she turned him into a monster might be on the right track...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

It's too obvious that she's the killer and will finish him off in the end. If that's how it plays out I'll be very disappointed in the final season.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
pmyers

what a horrible place to keep you gun. At least keep it IN your waistband.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Yeah I thought that a well last week. He reappearance at Metro concides with the new killer. She has medical training as a Psychiatrist, so she would be comfortable around a cadaver.

Will she be the one that puts an end to Dexter? One way or another? Wrap up her life's work, so to speak?
Yea, I thought she was too. It popped in my head when Dexter went to meet her in the lab and she is sitting at the table looking at/poking the brain and they had all the ominous lighting behind her.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
It's too obvious that she's the killer and will finish him off in the end. If that's how it plays out I'll be very disappointed in the final season.
I wonder if she gets knocked off halfway through and then the REAL business of the season comes to the front...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I wonder if she gets knocked off halfway through and then the REAL business of the season comes to the front...
Spoiler:
Harry is still alive. He's the Brain Surgeon.

GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Let me be the first to say it: can Vogel be the new killer?
I thought that for a minute, but doubt she would have been strong enough to lift Sussman up onto the meat hook.

Side note: Michael C. Hall was the director for this episode (first time in 80+ episodes) - some good behind the scenes stuff here:

http://www.sho.com/sho/dexter/season/8/episode/2#/index
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
GoPackGo

What is with Deb's boss? He's weird. The electrolyte replenishment formula thing was weird and totally out of context. Trying to figure out what that has to do with anything.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
john4200

I'm wondering where they are going with the whole El Sapo murder.

There were two big holes in Deb / Dexter's story if they think Deb killed him:

1) Where is the gun Deb used to shoot him, and where did she get it? I suppose she could have a backup gun, but if so it would be a small leg-holster type thing, and the small calibre would have been worth a remark at the crime scene. Besides, Dexter must know whether Deb carries a backup gun. I did not see any gun in the storage unit when Deb was searching it, but I suppose she could have found a gun (and ammo) there. If so, where is the gun now?

2) Where is the jewelry? The cops did not mention it at the crime scene, and Deb did not seem to have it.

Most likely explanation is that Deb did not kill El Sapo, but apparently she did stumble across the murder scene, since her blood was on the outside of the car. Unless El Sapo had her blood on his knuckles and smeared it on the car when he got in.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
What is with Deb's boss? He's weird. The electrolyte replenishment formula thing was weird and totally out of context. Trying to figure out what that has to do with anything.
Only thing I can think of is that he was trying to get her fingerprints and/or DNA off the bottle after she was done with it.

I wonder if Elway was the one who killed El Sapo and took the jewelry.

Speaking of fingerprints, I was surprised Dexter and Elway did not wear any gloves when they snuck into that apartment crime scene.

Last edited by john4200 : 07-08-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
...Most likely explanation is that Deb did not kill El Sapo, but apparently she did stumble across the murder scene, since her blood was on the outside of the car. Unless El Sapo had her blood on his knuckles and smeared it on the car when he got in.
I though I remember her specifically saying she did shoot him while her and Dexter were standing in the alley.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
pmyers

Quote:
I just took it as him recognizing how messed up she looked/is.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I though I remember her specifically saying she did shoot him while her and Dexter were standing in the alley.
Didn't she say she went all fuzzy and doesn't remember what happened?
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Test

Quote:
Right, it seemed like product placement without the product placement. I thought it was weird and out of place too.

Quote:
I just took it as him recognizing how messed up she looked/is.
Then brushed it off as this...
Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Right, it seemed like product placement without the product placement. I thought it was weird and out of place too.

Then brushed it off as this...
Unless he drugged her. Followed her. Stole jewels and shot the hitman.
Stupid twist but possible.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Didn't she say she went all fuzzy and doesn't remember what happened?
Yes, that is what she said. Dexter sort of convinced her that she shot him, but as I said, there are two big holes in that story.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Unless he drugged her. Followed her. Stole jewels and shot the hitman.
Stupid twist but possible.
Not really possible. She drank it in the daytime, maybe early afternoon? Then she and Elway went to that apartment, then later she went to the storage facility. She was not obviously drugged at any point there.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Yes, that is what she said.
perhaps the first unfunny use of "that's what she said"
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Yes, that is what she said. Dexter sort of convinced her that she shot him, but as I said, there are two big holes in that story.
I'll have to rewatch that scene but I don't remember hearing anything that would think that she didn't do it. I remember her being pretty clear that she shot him. I didn't get any impression of ambaguity.

I do remember her saying something about being in a fog or something but she seemed pretty clear that she did shoot him.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
markp99
TakoKichi

I assume that Deb had a second gun on her person then, correct? Or maybe in her car??

Her butt-mounted weapon was taken from her by El Sapo, and those pants were much too tight (in a good way) to permit concealment...
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
I do remember her saying something about being in a fog or something but she seemed pretty clear that she did shoot him.
That's what I remember.

As for Vogel, while evil, I don't think she will kill Dexter. I think more likely she will weep as Dexter is somehow destroyed. I think she likes/loves the monster she created.

I also like how Dexter referred to Vogel as Dr. Frankenstein. I mentioned this reference in the discussion of last weeks episode.

Quote:
Harry and Vogel created a modern day Frankenstein. That is a definite possibility.
It will be interesting to watch and see what other parallels they draw. It's been a long time since I have read the book or watched the movie. Somehow I don't think all of Miami will be chasing after Dexter with pitchforks and torches. Maybe Abbot and Costello will show up?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I'm wondering where they are going with the whole El Sapo murder.

There were two big holes in Deb / Dexter's story if they think Deb killed him:

1) Where is the gun Deb used to shoot him, and where did she get it? I suppose she could have a backup gun, but if so it would be a small leg-holster type thing, and the small calibre would have been worth a remark at the crime scene. Besides, Dexter must know whether Deb carries a backup gun. I did not see any gun in the storage unit when Deb was searching it, but I suppose she could have found a gun (and ammo) there. If so, where is the gun now?

2) Where is the jewelry? The cops did not mention it at the crime scene, and Deb did not seem to have it.

Most likely explanation is that Deb did not kill El Sapo, but apparently she did stumble across the murder scene, since her blood was on the outside of the car. Unless El Sapo had her blood on his knuckles and smeared it on the car when he got in.
I don't think there is any reason to believe that, as a cop/bounty hunter, that Deb wouldn't have access to more than one gun. She didn't need to be carrying it on her person or find it in the storage unit. We don't know how much time supposedly passed between El Sapo leaving her in the storage unit and El Sapo being shot. Could have been a couple hours. Could have been miles away from the storage unit.

No reason at this point to believe Deb didn't take the jewelry.

I don't see either of those as plot holes.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
john4200

Quote:
I'll have to rewatch that scene but I don't remember hearing anything that would think that she didn't do it.
Yes, you obviously do need to rewatch, as well as reread, since there are two obvious holes in that story that I already pointed out.

Anyway, Deb said she remembers standing over his body, but she did not remember anything else.

Last edited by john4200 : 07-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Could have been a couple hours. Could have been miles away from the storage unit.

No reason at this point to believe Deb didn't take the jewelry.

I don't see either of those as plot holes.
How could it possibly be miles away from the storage unit if Deb was the shooter? El Sapo had a large lead on her when he left the storage unit and closed the door on her, and she was just laying there, seriously fcked up from the beating he gave her. There is no plausible way that she managed to get to her car and follow him for miles.

And there is a very good reason to believe Deb did not take the bag of jewelry. First, it was not visible in her room. She was so out of it that she did not even manage to close the door to her room. It is not likely that she would have done anything except drop the bag on the floor. Second, when Dexter confronted her, she did not say anything about the jewelry and she had no clear memory of shooting El Sapo. If she had the jewelry, then her reaction would have been a lot different.

Last edited by john4200 : 07-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
How could it possibly be miles away from the storage unit if Deb was the shooter? El Sapo had a large lead on her when he left the storage unit and closed the door on her, and she was just laying there, seriously fcked up from the beating he gave her. There is no plausible way that she managed to get to her car and follow him for miles.
So she could not have gotten out of the storage unit fast enough to get in her car and follow him, but she did get out of the storage unit fast enough to walk up to his car and shoot him?

Quote:
And there is a very good reason to believe Deb did not take the bag of jewelry. First, it was not visible in her room. She was so out of it that she did not even manage to close the door to her room. It is not likely that she would have done anything except drop the bag on the floor. Second, when Dexter confronted her, she did not say anything about the jewelry and she had no clear memory of shooting El Sapo. If she had the jewelry, then her reaction would have been a lot different.
If they showed us the jewelry when Dexter went to her house, then it would have been obvious at that point that she killed El Sapo. But since we weren't supposed to know that until later in the episode, they couldn't give that information away so early.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
pmyers

I agree that Deb took the jewelry.