TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Richard Cranium

Can anyone explain to me why?

Certain Posters feel the need to get angry, name call, report or stamp their feet whenever anyone points out the warts of this product or company?

This is a board about "general TiVo discussion" isn't it?

Why the hostility?

Geez, you'd think I said Chevys rule and Fords Suck.

Same mentality....

Just saying.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
janry

'Cause this is a Ford forum.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
'Cause this is a Ford forum.
So, bringing up the exploding Pintos will get me ridiculed and banned?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
janry

Point being this is a TiVo forum. Most posters like TiVos and think negative comments are likely from trolls (and often are) or at least from people that want to bash and ask for help later.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
stahta01
Simple Member

Its because most of the people who do that are normally/usually Trolls.

Tim S.
PS: Your username suggests you are a Troll.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahta01 View Post
Its because most of the people who do that are normally/usually Trolls.

Tim S.
PS: Your username suggests you are a Troll.
You guys take yourselves WAY to seriously.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

I too am tired of all the bashers. Seems like there are a few on this forum who just want to bash TiVo. I thought TCF was a place to discuss TiVo, and seek help/advice for problems. If these individuals hate or despise TiVo so much, why be here? That is a lot of energy to put out for not liking something. It makes it harder for most of use who are here to discuss, troubleshoot, and help each other with genuine TiVo topics, because we have to weed thru all the basher's posts.

If you absolutely have to constantly bash or post negative comments, then start a new thread, post there, and leave those remarks out of the threads which are discussing TiVo related issues.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
If you absolutely have to constantly bash or post negative comments, then start a new thread, post there, and leave those remarks out of the threads which are discussing TiVo related issues.
You don't see the Irony, do you?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
ggieseke

You're a troll, and your user name is appropriate.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Let me ask you a question... Are you currently, or have you ever, shorted TiVo's stock?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Let me ask you a question... Are you currently, or have you ever, shorted TiVo's stock?
Nope. Never. Was long about 40,000 shares back before the DISH fiasco but that shouldn't matter here or now.

My issue is with TiVo and the half baked Premiere launch Fiasco. They were so hell bent on suing people they couldn't concentrate on their product.

Mind you, it's been what, 4 years and 10 "updates" since the launch and it's still buggy and half finished.

The fact that everyone wants ignore that 800lb. gorilla baffles me....
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree. For a few years there they left the product completely stagnant because of their legal battles and even I was considering jumping ship. What turned it around for me was the addition of network streaming and the release of the 4 tuner unit. Those two things completely changed how I use TiVo. Although up until the last update, in March, I was still using the SDUI because I didn't like the harsh transition from HD to SD in the partially unfinished HDUI. However when they added the SP manager and To Do I decided to give it a try and have not gone back. For me the screens I use most often are HD so I barely notice the SD transition any more and the added features are nice. Speed is still an issue, but I've used a Mini so I know how fast the UI can really be when paired with a proper CPU. Which is why I'm excited about the new units. If I can have a 4-6 tuner TiVo that works exactly like my Elite does now, just faster, then I'll be perfectly happy. Any additional features are just icing on the cake.

Another reason I stick with TiVo is because I've tried the alternatives and don't like them. I had an HTPC with MCE for a while and didn't like it. I also tried the Charter DVR for a while and it sucked badly. I've considered DirecTV and Dish, but in my area both are having disputes with a couple of the local channels which means I'd have to use an antenna which is a PITA. So out of all of my options TiVo is the best and that's why I stick with it. If there was an alternative that actually worked better I'd definitely look at it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I agree. For a few years there they left the product completely stagnant because of their legal battles and even I was considering jumping ship. What turned it around for me was the addition of network streaming and the release of the 4 tuner unit. Those two things completely changed how I use TiVo. Although up until the last update, in March, I was still using the SDUI because I didn't like the harsh transition from HD to SD in the partially unfinished HDUI. However when they added the SP manager and To Do I decided to give it a try and have not gone back. For me the screens I use most often are HD so I barely notice the SD transition any more and the added features are nice. Speed is still an issue, but I've used a Mini so I know how fast the UI can really be when paired with a proper CPU. Which is why I'm excited about the new units. If I can have a 4-6 tuner TiVo that works exactly like my Elite does now, just faster, then I'll be perfectly happy. Any additional features are just icing on the cake.

Another reason I stick with TiVo is because I've tried the alternatives and don't like them. I had an HTPC with MCE for a while and didn't like it. I also tried the Charter DVR for a while and it sucked badly. I've considered DirecTV and Dish, but in my area both are having disputes with a couple of the local channels which means I'd have to use an antenna which is a PITA. So out of all of my options TiVo is the best and that's why I stick with it. If there was an alternative that actually worked better I'd definitely look at it.
Believe me, as a (releatively) large shareholder at the time, nobody wanted the Premeire launch to be smash hit more than I did.

Hell, I was even at the Press Party at the Top of the Rock where TiVo was bragging about how "inventing the DVR was just a warm up"

I remember how S-L-O-W the demo proformed and standing there thinking about how I blew $1400 on a preorder for something that isnt even Beta ready.

I struck up a conversation with a couple of other guys and we all convinced each other that it was the "overloaded" Internet feed at the rock that was causing it to stall, stutter and redraw and seeming lock up and they'd get the bugs worked out by release. I really wanted to believe it but deep down I knew it was a POS that was being thrust upon the masses because they HAD to. They were dead in the water.

I gave it six months, it never got better, I unloaded my boxes, my stock, and went with an HR21 that was replaced by a pair of HR24's (now replacd with 2 Genies) and have never looked back.

I'll agree with you on DirecTV's service not being for everyone, (cost, weather, lack of bundles etc.) but the Genie is not one of them. The Genie is everything TiVo can only HOPE to be some day.

Actually now that I think of it, I still have an HD with lifetime so I guess I'm technically still a customer, but have no plans to give up my Genies.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Can anyone explain to me why?
Quote:
Certain Posters feel the need to get angry, name call, report or stamp their feet whenever anyone points out the warts of this product or company?
As always, consider the source. Such people exist on every discussion forum site out there.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Actually now that I think of it, I still have an HD with lifetime so I guess I'm technically still a customer, but have no plans to give up my Genies.
And so you come here and start trolling. Might be wrong but I doubt any of the Tivo fanboys here are showing up on dbstalk to bash D* DVRs.

We get it - they blew it when they dropped the ball with the Premiere, you ditched them, now move along. You're not adding anything new beyond that so it's just trolling at this point.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....

If your posts were even remotely topical to the thread it wouldn't be so bad.

Unfortunately for the community, we try to have a fun educated conversation and you dive bomb it with your rhetoric - and the thread spirals out of control.

This has nothing to do with fan boys, this has everything to do you with you intentionally dive bombing threads.

If I were a MOD on this forum (as I am on another), I certainly would have banned you by now.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If your posts were even remotely topical to the thread it wouldn't be so bad.

Unfortunately for the community, we try to have a fun educated conversation and you dive bomb it with your rhetoric - and the thread spirals out of control.

This has nothing to do with fan boys, this has everything to do you with you intentionally dive bombing threads.

If I were a MOD on this forum (as I am on another), I certainly would have banned you by now.
LOL!! Pot meets kettle!

Think about it!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
LOL!! Pot meets kettle!

Think about it!
I am not laughing out loud... But I can see that you are. You have decided to come onto this forum and create as much discord as you possibly can. You swing into very specific threads and take them over.

No pot, no kettle just a Richard Cranium.

I realize you get your jollies out of riling up a bunch of people on a forum… Good for you – I hope you will have your fill sooner or later.

The MODS will get tired of you pretty soon and you will be gone. But I am sure you will feel very satisfied that you accomplished your goal and got noticed.

It is a pretty small 15 minutes – but enjoy yours.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

You asked a specific question and I answered it... My answer was topical and on point - if you do not like the answer I am sorry.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Too bad they can't blacklist his IP or something.
A ban will do no good. He'll just grab another e-mail address and username and keep doling out Tivo hate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Hi, my name is dick head. Why am i annoying?

Really? from ME?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Think he may have earned a ban. There's no option to PM him in his profile.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
He may have disabled private messaging in his user profile. I checked mine, and the option to enable PMs is checked.

EDIT: I verified that if you uncheck that option, your profile no longer shows the ability to PM.

Last edited by jay_man2 : 07-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.
jay_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Good. IMO, he didn't quite cross the line into bannable material until a couple of his last posts. That certainly posed a problem for the moderators.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

This thread is HILARIOUS. I don't know about other TCF-ers, but I speak the truth; when a TiVo CS clearly disseminates wrong information, I call them on it. When they do a good job, I also state that. When the product doesn't do what it's billed to do, I call them on it. When a feature is clearly a FAIL, I call them on it. When it equals or surpasses expectations, I commend them on that. It's simple.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Too bad they can't blacklist his IP or something.
A ban will do no good. He'll just grab another e-mail address and username and keep doling out Tivo hate.
The same with the IP addresses. You can typically get another one since they are typically dynamic for residential.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The same with the IP addresses. You can typically get another one since they are typically dynamic for residential.
*shrug* I'm actually surprised at how long I wind up with the same IP at home, this one has been renewing itself for over a year. Actually I do know, it's just the way DHCP works, but it's still more stable than I'd expect.

And you can do a multi-IP ban in most forum software, I'd had to ban a few on other boards.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
ggieseke

I dunno, but I'm sick of page after page after page of people feeding the troll. Even if he hasn't been banned, just ignore him and he will go away.

Sometimes we're so focused on other things here (like helping people) that we forget the basics. If someone outrages you once respond with a considerate and thoughtful post. When you see it happening on multiple threads across multiple forums just walk away or click the Ignore button.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Hi, my name is dick head. Why am i annoying?

Really? from ME?
WOW. I was scanning this thread, and I didn't even notice that. This is pretty funny.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
*shrug* I'm actually surprised at how long I wind up with the same IP at home, this one has been renewing itself for over a year. Actually I do know, it's just the way DHCP works, but it's still more stable than I'd expect.
Well it's the way DHCP works unless you configure it otherwise. Some ISPs seem to have deliberately configured their DHCP to change your IP address each time the lease expires; probably to discourage people from running servers.