TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
wlexx

Cox Oklahoma City SDV and Tuning Adapter

A while back, COX sent us letters asking us to pick up tuning adapters for an impending SDV switchover which was supposed to happen on 6/27/13 for Oklahoma City.

At first, the TAs were not available and the cox reps didn't seem to know anything about tuning adapters, let alone the switchover.
After waiting a couple of weeks, I passed by a local cox store and found they were available and picked one up for my Premiere XL.

Anyway, I hooked up the TA and called Cox again to provision it and this time got someone that seemed to know a bit more about TAs and cable cards and he said he would give it hit and come the switchover, the blinking light would go solid and the device would be functional.
However, 6/27 came and nothing happened, one week later still nothing. I can still tune to all the previous channels on my Premiere and there has been no further update from Cox.

I unplugged the TA and shelved it. Just wondering if anyone out there may have any more current information.

Thanks.
wlexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Teeps

Be happy it has not happened yet.
Time Warner announced the roll out date for SDV, in my area.
Took about 6 months to get it fully implemented.

Again, be happy for now.
If you have FIOS as an option, you might consider switching.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Loach

Cox Omaha's TA rollout date was about 2 weeks later than what their initial letter said IIRC. So chances are, it's coming imminently and you'll need to plug that puppy back in soon.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
PDT816

I'm a little confused about this whole migration.

1. The note on the invoice makes it look like it will just be the standard definition feeds that will be delivered via SDV. I really don't need the tuner if this is true because I don't watch them. Anyone have any info on this?

2. What happens when Cox doesn't have bandwidth to broadcast a channel because people are watching other channels? I'm assuming you don't get anything. Does this happen often?
PDT816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
wlexx

I was thinking that I would hardly need it too, but do watch a couple of the channels that don't have HD equivalents in OKC.

The letter only specified the list of channels to move to switched, but there is no information as to whether any new channels would be added, or even if some of the SD channels that do not have HD equivalents (e.g. HLN) would now have HD equivalents.

I will wait until the transition -whenever that will be- to plug the TA back in if needed. No sense in consuming the power for a non-functional device. It is a Cisco STA 1520 and did seem to get rather warm, wonder if it will get any warmer when actually activated.

Besides there seem to be several threads in this and other forums with different recommendations regarding whether to hookup the inbound signal to TA as a pass through to the Premiere or hook both of them directly to a splitter.

The mailer that came with TA indicates to hook it up via the splitter and a filter, but the COX rep I called at the time said to hook it up the other way.

I guess I can already see the mess this is about to become.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT816 View Post
I'm a little confused about this whole migration.

1. The note on the invoice makes it look like it will just be the standard definition feeds that will be delivered via SDV. I really don't need the tuner if this is true because I don't watch them. Anyone have any info on this?

2. What happens when Cox doesn't have bandwidth to broadcast a channel because people are watching other channels? I'm assuming you don't get anything. Does this happen often?
Even if you never watch any SDV channels, the Tuning Adapter once SDV is implemented will now provide your channel mapping. If you leave the TA disconnected, the TiVo will not receive any updated mappings.

As for not receiving a SDV channel due to too many people watching, I have rarely, if ever not been able to tune to an SDV channel as long as the TA was working correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox usually rolls out SDV in waves, with a few channels at first and then more and more.

Eventually most all SD channels in the Paks, i.e. Bonus, Faith & Values, Variety, Sports & Info, Movie will be SDV, along with the SD versions of the Premiums HBO, SHO etc.

As for HD channels that can vary. MSNBCHD and TWCHD are usually SDV.

You can get a good idea by looking at the last San Diego SDV that I was able to get from a contact at Cox.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1&d=1347077138

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-09-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlexx View Post
Besides there seem to be several threads in this and other forums with different recommendations regarding whether to hookup the inbound signal to TA as a pass through to the Premiere or hook both of them directly to a splitter.

The mailer that came with TA indicates to hook it up via the splitter and a filter, but the COX rep I called at the time said to hook it up the other way.

I guess I can already see the mess this is about to become.
If you have a 2 Tuner Premiere (or not using MoCA on the 4 Tuners) use the TA's RF pass-thru, the Cisco TA has a signal amp of about 3dB, a splitter will reduce your signal by 3-4dB.

If you are using the onboard MoCA of the 4 Tuner Premiere then you are best to use a splitter, the Cisco TA will not pass MoCA frequencies above 1GHz, and Cox uses the 900MHz range for the H.264 (MPEG-4) HD channels so MoCA cannot use those frequencies.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-10-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: dB corrected thanks, k2ue
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
If you have a 2 Tuner Premiere (or not using MoCA on the 4 Tuners) use the TA's RF pass-thru, the Cisco TA has a signal amp of about 3dBmV, a splitter will reduce your signal by 3-4dBmV.
You seem technically astute, why are you using dBmV for gain or loss -- it should be just dB -- the 1mV reference is not appropriate unless stating an absolute level.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
You seem technically astute, why are you using dBmV for gain or loss -- it should be just dB -- the 1mV reference is not appropriate unless stating an absolute level.
I guess I should have known that, thanks for the correction.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
PDT816

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
PDT816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
wlexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
If you have a 2 Tuner Premiere (or not using MoCA on the 4 Tuners) use the TA's RF pass-thru, the Cisco TA has a signal amp of about 3dBmV, a splitter will reduce your signal by 3-4dBmV.

If you are using the onboard MoCA of the 4 Tuner Premiere then you are best to use a splitter, the Cisco TA will not pass MoCA frequencies above 1GHz, and Cox uses the 900MHz range for the H.264 (MPEG-4) HD channels so MoCA cannot use those frequencies.
I'm not using MoCA. If using the splitter then it's clear where the POE filter is connected per: (sorry, still can't post full links yet due to low posts)

media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf

If using the TA's pass-thru, where would the POE filter be connected, and would it have any effect on the premiere's signal?

I also have a cable modem in the mix so I still have to use a splitter at some point anyway.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlexx View Post
I'm not using MoCA. If using the splitter then it's clear where the POE filter is connected per: (sorry, still can't post full links yet due to low posts)

media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/InstallingYourCiscoTA.pdf

If using the TA's pass-thru, where would the POE filter be connected, and would it have any effect on the premiere's signal?

I also have a cable modem in the mix so I still have to use a splitter at some point anyway.
If you are NOT using MoCA you do not need the POE filter anywhere.

Even if you do use MoCA, the POE filter at the TA is not really necessary, Cox is just covering their bases. If you do use MoCA Cox recommends a POE filter at the entrance to the premise, the Cable Modem and the TA.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
HDNewbie1028

Loach - Notice your handle says you're in Omaha. Me too. Just purchased two Tivo Premiere (2 tuner) refurbs to give me a whole home option. I also picked up four MoCA adapters since I don't have ethernet running through my home.

This is a call for help from Loach or anyone. Having a myriad of problems. First, the cable cards aren't pairing (big surprise) and Cox wants to roll a truck. Going to keep calling until they get it right - my first Tivo it took 3 calls before someone on their end actually was able to pair the card right. So, that isn't working.

Second issue is the MoCA network. I installed a POE filter and MoCA adapter at the router. Get a solid light for power and ethernet on the adapter.

On the first Tivo (the one I already owned) I tried hooking up to MoCA which had been running on the Tivo wireless N adapter. I get solid light for power and the ethernet light comes on too. On the back of Tivo it blinks like it has an ethernet connection, but I get the C133 / N02 error saying it can't find my home network. I tried resetting the cable modem and the router to no avail. It can't find the DNS. I tried both DHCP and static IP with no result. Not sure if I have a router config problem there or not.

In looking through the forum I saw some posts that mention that you shouldn't pass a MoCA signal through a Tuning Adapter, which is how I have it set up. Coax from wall into POE which connects to a splitter. Two tails from the splitter - one to the TV itself (for PIP) and one to the MoCA adapter. Then I have a tail out from MoCA adapter to in on TA - out from TA to Tivo. USB from TA out to Tivo and ethernet cable from MoCA adapter to Tivo. Have no idea if that is right.

I read somewhere that maybe I need to add a second splitter (after the MoCA adapter) to deal with the Tuning Adapter not being able to pass a MoCA signal but am unsure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
HDNewbie1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNewbie1028 View Post
Loach - Notice your handle says you're in Omaha. Me too. Just purchased two Tivo Premiere (2 tuner) refurbs to give me a whole home option. I also picked up four MoCA adapters since I don't have ethernet running through my home.

This is a call for help from Loach or anyone. Having a myriad of problems. First, the cable cards aren't pairing (big surprise) and Cox wants to roll a truck. Going to keep calling until they get it right - my first Tivo it took 3 calls before someone on their end actually was able to pair the card right. So, that isn't working.

Second issue is the MoCA network. I installed a POE filter and MoCA adapter at the router. Get a solid light for power and ethernet on the adapter.

On the first Tivo (the one I already owned) I tried hooking up to MoCA which had been running on the Tivo wireless N adapter. I get solid light for power and the ethernet light comes on too. On the back of Tivo it blinks like it has an ethernet connection, but I get the C133 / N02 error saying it can't find my home network. I tried resetting the cable modem and the router to no avail. It can't find the DNS. I tried both DHCP and static IP with no result. Not sure if I have a router config problem there or not.

In looking through the forum I saw some posts that mention that you shouldn't pass a MoCA signal through a Tuning Adapter, which is how I have it set up. Coax from wall into POE which connects to a splitter. Two tails from the splitter - one to the TV itself (for PIP) and one to the MoCA adapter. Then I have a tail out from MoCA adapter to in on TA - out from TA to Tivo. USB from TA out to Tivo and ethernet cable from MoCA adapter to Tivo. Have no idea if that is right.

I read somewhere that maybe I need to add a second splitter (after the MoCA adapter) to deal with the Tuning Adapter not being able to pass a MoCA signal but am unsure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The POE filter blocks MoCA signals. From the bolded sentence above, it sounds to me like you have the POE in the wrong place and it's blocking the MoCA signal from reaching the MoCA adapter at your Tivo. Cox intends for you to put the POE filter (that they provided with the tuning adapter) on the output side of splitter to the TA. Because you have the POE on the input side of your splitter, it's preventing the MoCA signal from reaching all the devices on the output side of the splitter, which includes your MoCA adapter.

Maybe use a 4-way splitter for your purposes?:
Coax from wall to 4 way splitter.
One leg to TV for PIP.
2nd leg to MoCA adapter.
3rd leg to Tivo.
4th leg to TA (put the POE on this output leg of the splitter).
TA connected to Tivo via USB.
MoCA adapter connected to Tivo via Ethernet cable.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
HDNewbie1028

Thanks for the suggestions! The problem apparently was in the Coax line - signal wasn't strong enough. Since cable is buried under my siding and I didn't want to put holes in it, I actually ran coax from another room into the one causing the problem. That took care of my not receiving all channels.

The MoCA problem was solved doing as you suggested - using a four way splitter. However, I had read that I needed a MoCA filter to keep the data signal from traveling back out which could possibly disrupt my neighbors network. No matter where I put the darn thing (this was in addition to the ones I use with the tuning adapters) I couldn't get the MoCA to work, so I left it off. I suppose if I get a call from Cox saying I am causing interference I'll have them come out and try to get it to work, but for now all Tivos are getting all channels and the MoCA bridge is working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
HDNewbie1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNewbie1028 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! The problem apparently was in the Coax line - signal wasn't strong enough. Since cable is buried under my siding and I didn't want to put holes in it, I actually ran coax from another room into the one causing the problem. That took care of my not receiving all channels.

The MoCA problem was solved doing as you suggested - using a four way splitter. However, I had read that I needed a MoCA filter to keep the data signal from traveling back out which could possibly disrupt my neighbors network. No matter where I put the darn thing (this was in addition to the ones I use with the tuning adapters) I couldn't get the MoCA to work, so I left it off. I suppose if I get a call from Cox saying I am causing interference I'll have them come out and try to get it to work, but for now all Tivos are getting all channels and the MoCA bridge is working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, a POE filter is recommended at the Point Of Entry to prevent signal leakage back into the coax network outside of your house. But many people have MoCA networks that seem to be working fine without one. I have one installed at the "drop" (in the basement where the cable service enters my house) although it's probably not necessary because I have an amplifier which is likely blocking any MoCA signals from passing outside my network anyway.