Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
SteveInNC

Below Deck (Bravo) Season 1

As described in this thread about new/renewed Bravo shows:

"Below Deck" - Summer 2013

Produced by 51 Minds with Mark Cronin and Courtland Cox as Executive Producers.

The upstairs and downstairs worlds collide when this young and single crew, known as "yachties," live, love and work together onboard a privately owned extravagant yacht. Working and tending to the ever-changing needs of their demanding charter guests is not always smooth sailing.

I watched the premier and have the series as a low priority on my recording list. It might have potential, but does seem to suffer from the common reality show syndrome of "pick intentionally-conflicting personalities that are forced to live/work together".

The boat is a very large motor yacht with all of the requisite toys. They make several comments about week-long charters costing up to $100k (although they never seem to say that about this specific boat/charter). I'm watching mainly because of the boat, which is over the top in furnishings, much like NASCAR drivers' motorhomes.

Outside reviews of the premier have been almost overwhelmingly negative.

Warning, spoilers allowed after this introductory post...
* spacing for spoiler distraction.

Last edited by SteveInNC : 07-08-2013 at 11:19 PM.
SteveInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
SteveInNC

...and we're off. I'm amazed at how boorish the first charter group is. They seem to have all the symptoms of overly-privileged and/or "trust fund" recipients, parading the stews around, trying to get a crew member to drink while he's on anchor watch after he explicitly states that he cannot drink, period. If they truly are professional photographers plus entourage, I'd be curious to see what kind of work they have allegedly done. I'm betting more along the lines of rich guys with cameras that hire lower-tier models.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

I watched this, mainly because I am fascinated with large yachts. That's my dream, to spend time (live? retire?) on some monstrous Paul Allen-ish yacht. Hey, a guy's gotta dream, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNC View Post
It might have potential, but does seem to suffer from the common reality show syndrome of "pick intentionally-conflicting personalities that are forced to live/work together".
And this is why I deleted the SP. One and done. I can't stand these fake "reality" shows, where they come up with these terribly contrived dramas, just to entertain us. I've never understood how people watch this type of shyte.

Having said that... I've become hooked on BBQ Pitmasters. The drama is mostly fun, and I love love love watching the food. Drool worthy BBQ. It helps that there is nothing else on TV these days.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
SteveInNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And this is why I deleted the SP. One and done. I can't stand these fake "reality" shows, where they come up with these terribly contrived dramas, just to entertain us. I've never understood how people watch this type of shyte.
I've been watching Mountain Men lately. It seems mostly real, with a bit of contrivance. I grew up in the general vicinity of the guy in the NC mountains.

The only thing I can't stand about the series is the guy with the beagles in Montana (Wyoming?) that chases mountain lions. He always makes this big deal about trying to find his dogs when they run off, goes walking around up and down ridges, and can't seem to find them... despite the fact that if you look, in virtually every hunting scene, the dogs are wearing electronic tracking collars - you can see the antennas sticking up in a curve over the dogs' necks, like these for example.