TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
muskie

Backing up TiVo recordings

I have a TiVo Premiere. I have backed up some shows (like my Blackhawks playoffs games this year!) to my computer, using TiVo Desktop. I then copied those files to a 2TB external hard drive. My question is, is there any way to play back those files from the external on my tv? I'd like to remove them from my TiVo to save space. I didn't think it would work to plug the external into the TiVo, but I tried, and got a message: This DVR does not support using USB to connect a device to add recording space. I don't want to add recording space (I already have the official 1TB extender), I just want to be able to watch the recordings on my 61" tv, rather than my 17" laptop monitor. I don't want to burn them to DVDs, as I have over 500GB of files, some of them over 30 gigs. I suppose I could convert them to another format, but that would be a huge waste of space and time. I use TVMobili with my Blu Ray, but it doesn't recognize .tivo files. Any suggestions?
muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

so, you don't want to import the file back to your tivo? There are several other options but they all require additional hardware. I have a "smart-tv" that talks to my file server and plays files. I also run plex and can view files on my roku. if you have a "dumb tv" and no additional STB then you'll have to re-import the file to your tivo.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
HerronScott

Why not use TiVo Desktop to copy it back to the TiVo when you want to watch a particular show?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
muskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9300170 View Post
so, you don't want to import the file back to your tivo? There are several other options but they all require additional hardware. I have a "smart-tv" that talks to my file server and plays files. I also run plex and can view files on my roku. if you have a "dumb tv" and no additional STB then you'll have to re-import the file to your tivo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Why not use TiVo Desktop to copy it back to the TiVo when you want to watch a particular show?

Scott
Thanks for the info, guys. I know I COULD copy things back to the TiVo, but some of the programs are like 6-8 hours long. It would require way too much planning ahead to transfer them back so I could watch them. I DO have a Roku, and also stream movies from my computer to my Sony Blu Ray via TVMOBiLi, but I haven't been able to figure out how to stream TiVo programming to my TV. I thought it had to be converted to another format, like avi, in order to watch via something other than TiVo.
Oh, and I also have a Netgear router with ReadyDLNA that I can plug the external HD into and use the router as a media server.
muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can use programs like TivoDecode to remove the Tivo encryption layer, then it will be a .mpg.

Sending video back to TiVo is not so bad, Premieres are faster, and you can also watch while its still transferring.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
SNJpage1

With my hard wired connection, I can watch shows that are on my computer as they are being transferred to the Tivo, with out it stopping to buffer more of the stream. I never tried it with a wireless set up.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post

Scott
With my HDDVR I can copy, not transfer, programs from my Tivo to my PC via Tivo Desktop and the program is still on my Tivo.

I can view the program either on my PC or my Tivo.

My Tivo Desktop does not transfer recordings. It copies them.
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskie View Post
I have a TiVo Premiere. I have backed up some shows (like my Blackhawks playoffs games this year!) to my computer, using TiVo Desktop. I then copied those files to a 2TB external hard drive. My question is, is there any way to play back those files from the external on my tv?
Definitely. But you need to edit those files BEFORE they get to the external drive.

Tivo files are encrypted. You want to decrypt them and also remove unwanted content, such as TV commercials.

1 Offload the Tivo files onto your computer

2 Use VideoRedo TV Suite to edit these tivo files. VideoRedo can easily strip out unwanted content(tv commercials, halftime bs, etc). and VideoRedo will also produce unencrypted mpeg output files for you which can be played by all sorts of non-tivo devices. Save these newly created output files onto an external USB hard drive(the bigger the better---I use 3 TB drives made by western digital).

3 Connect the external drive to something which is capable of playing the video files. ..... if your roku can connect to an external drive then you can use that....... otherwise, find something else with an USB input and an HDMI output.......... eg, a computer, or a western digital media player, etc. For me personally, the easiest way is to have an extra dedicated computer with an HDMI output hooked up to my TV at all times.

I have been doing this for several years for the purpose of archiving sports content.

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 07-10-2013 at 10:54 PM.
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
With my HDDVR I can copy, not transfer, programs from my Tivo to my PC via Tivo Desktop and the program is still on my Tivo.

I can view the program either on my PC or my Tivo.

My Tivo Desktop does not transfer recordings. It copies them.
Correct and once you copy it to the PC with TiVo Desktop, then you can delete it on the TiVo to save space. You can later copy it back if you want to watch it on the TiVo.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #10
unitron

Once you get them copied to a PC, you can play them with Windows Media Player, so the trick would be to get a video output from the PC which is compatible with the TV, and extend the Windows desktop onto that "second monitor".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
True Colors

Its not a trick at all. Just use a computer with an HDMI output. Then you dont have to worry about compatibility issues, or extending the monitor, or any of that other stuff.

Use VideoRedo, and then you are in even better shape.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote