TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #4381
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
PyTivo does not stream video. I am not familiar with PlayOn.
Actually, it does. And playon is a video streaming app for which has a pyTivo plugin. And kmttg can initiate a pyTivo stream of a file on your computer to a TiVo via the "pyTivo stream" option under the "Files" tab.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #4382
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
Why am I having so much trouble watching while streaming using PyTivo and PlayOn??

I just changed from Comcast internet to FIOS internet. Comcast was shaping my signal drastically. There's no shapers on the FIOS signal and download speed is more than twice as fast.

I thought that I would see an improvement while watching my streaming downloads. I mostly watch Hulu (without the Plus; I've paused it until the Summer), Netflix, and 1Channel using a PlayOn script.

The download for Hulu and Netflix is fine. Hesitating, pausing almost constant while watching something on 1Channel. I've tried to let it stream and I watch something else either live or through Netflix for 15-30 minutes. I just did that half an hour ago ... watched a 15 minute TEDTalk ... the show only downloaded 4 minutes during that time.

What is making it so slow?? Why haven't I seen a performance increase since I went with FIOS internet??

I use the pytivo-jkasyan-fork brand of PyTivo. It used to work fine ... up until about 3 to 4 months ago. I just got the FIOS about a month ago.

Oh, I should say that I'm hardwired. I do not use the wireless on my router.

Thanks.
If you use Google Chrome browser as your PlayOn client running on the same PC that is running PlayOn, how well do things work? If you have problems running that way, your issues have nothing to do with pyTivo or the pyTivo PlayOn plugin.

If the problems only occur using the pyTivo PlayOn plugin, I suggest you go to this thread on the PlayOn forums:
http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-dev...yon-tivo-s2-s3
and look at posts 31 to 33 there. If you have further questions it might be better to post them in that thread.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #4383
MychaelP

Hello,

So I have a new laptop with Windows 7 on it. Did the install of pytivo with the old windows installer, then copied the latest files over it. Opened up the ports, but pytivo is not showing up on my tivo or on the web configurator. Has anyone else encountered this? And is there an easy fix? I have Panda running in the background, but it isn't blocking anything. Pytivo still works fine on my old computer. I even tried copying the old config file from there and still no-go.

Thanks in advance... maybe there is a quick setting in the config file?
MychaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #4384
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MychaelP View Post
Hello,

So I have a new laptop with Windows 7 on it. Did the install of pytivo with the old windows installer, then copied the latest files over it. Opened up the ports, but pytivo is not showing up on my tivo or on the web configurator. Has anyone else encountered this? And is there an easy fix? I have Panda running in the background, but it isn't blocking anything. Pytivo still works fine on my old computer. I even tried copying the old config file from there and still no-go.

Thanks in advance... maybe there is a quick setting in the config file?
Perhaps try reading the windows installation instructions, remove what you have done and start over. The old windows installer is very out of date, was long ago abandoned and does not work for win 7 or current versions of pytivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #4385
MychaelP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Perhaps try reading the windows installation instructions, remove what you have done and start over. The old windows installer is very out of date, was long ago abandoned and does not work for win 7 or current versions of pytivo.
Thanks for the suggestions. So I will uninstall it, but how would be the best way to reinstall without an installer? I'm not quite a novice with this, but also not near an expert to get it running.
I'm concerned if I uninstall then extract the latest zip file I have it won't actually be "installed" just copied.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #4386
jcthorne

Please read the very complete instructions at the wiki site for windows installation. See my sig if you need a link (also referenced from the pytivo site).

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #4387
MychaelP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Please read the very complete instructions at the wiki site for windows installation. See my sig if you need a link (also referenced from the pytivo site).
Thank you for the link. I did everything exactly as described and still get the same error "Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9032."
I have not edited the config file as it is suggested to do so with the web configure option. I checked and pytivo is running as an "application". I addedthe ports as a rule to allow in windows firewall. It seems something is keeping it from running with access to the browser.
I really hate to take a bunch of messages in this thread with trying to get this to work and apologize. It appears pytivo is no longer simple to run as on my old XP machine, 5 minutes and up and running.
Further suggestions are appreciated, or a private message to not have everyone else reading these troubleshooting issues.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #4388
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Thank you for the link. I did everything exactly as described and still get the same error "Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9032."
I have not edited the config file as it is suggested to do so with the web configure option. I checked and pytivo is running as an "application". I addedthe ports as a rule to allow in windows firewall. It seems something is keeping it from running with access to the browser.
When you run pytivo as an application, there should be a command window open, showing messages from pytivo. After a few other startup messages, you should see
Code:
INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.
Can you verify that you are getting at least to the point of seeing that message? If so, then pyTivo is running and should be able to be accessed via a browser, IF there are no firewall or other network connectivity issues. What I would do at that point, if pytivo is ready and the browser is still not able to access the localhost:9032 page is to temporarily disable windows firewall to determine or eliminate if it is the source of the connectivity issue.

If you don't see the ready message, then either pytivo is not being started correctly, or something has not been installed correctly.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #4389
MychaelP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
When you run pytivo as an application, there should be a command window open, showing messages from pytivo. After a few other startup messages, you should see
Code:
INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.
Can you verify that you are getting that at least to the point of seeing that message? If so, then pyTivo is running and should be able to be accessed via a browser, IF there are no firewall or other network connectivity issues. What I would do at that point, if pytivo is ready and the browser is still not able to access the localhost:9032 page is to temporarily disable windows firewall to determine or eliminate if it is the source of the connectivity issue.

If you don't see the ready message, then either pytivo is not being started correctly, or something has not been installed correctly.
Following the wiki install there is no "installation" that I can see, only copying files to a directory. I've done that to c:\pytivo When I run the file I get the pop-up, but there is no text in it that I can see and it is displayed for about a tenth of a second and goes away. In applications Pytivo is listed as running, but not as a service. So it appears pytivo is not installed. This is why I originally used the old "install" msi file. Is there something missing in the wiki to "install" this rather than copying files?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #4390
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Following the wiki install there is no "installation" that I can see, only copying files to a directory. I've done that to c:\pytivo When I run the file I get the pop-up, but there is no text in it that I can see and it is displayed for about a tenth of a second and goes away. In applications Pytivo is listed as running, but not as a service. So it appears pytivo is not installed. This is why I originally used the old "install" msi file. Is there something missing in the wiki to "install" this rather than copying files?
The only 'must have' is Python. Python must be installed prior to being able to run pytivo. Everything else is optional or can be added after getting the basics to work.

Open a command prompt (in Windows 7, click the Start Menu, then type CMD, then press enter). Type cd c:\pytivo, then press enter. You should now be in the pytivo directory on the command line. Type pytivo.py and press enter. This will start pytivo, in basically the same way as double-clicking pytivo.py, but should produce an error message that stays on-screen, this should be the same error that is produced(but only visible for a fraction of a second) when the window appears for the tenth of a second. Let us know what you get.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control

Last edited by gonzotek : 06-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #4391
MychaelP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
The only 'must have' is Python. Python must be installed prior to being able to run pytivo. Everything else is optional or can be added after getting the basics to work.

Open a command prompt (in Windows 7, click the Start Menu, then type CMD, then press enter). Type cd c:\pytivo, then press enter. You should now be in the pytivo directory on the command line. Type pytivo.py and press enter. This will start pytivo, in basically the same way as double-clicking pytivo.py, but should produce an error message that stays on-screen, this should be the same error that is produced(but only visible for a fraction of a second) when the window appears for the tenth of a second. Let us know what you get.
I just did that and noticed something at the "beginning" of your guide. I had python 2.4... so I changed it to 2.7.5 and now I get the settings to come up. Disabling firewall allows me to see my share on my tivo. I am transferring something right now to test it out.
I did notice that when I put in my Tivo username/e-mail and password along with MAK, after I click save, they disappear in the boxes that I filled them in at, which also does not allow me to see my Tivo on the web interface, only option is still "settings". Should I enter this information manually in the conf file?
Thank you by the way for helping with this, I'll now soon if the transfer worked. I am using a Series 2 so it may take it awhile.
let me know if you have time how to get the username/passoword info to save thus allowing me to have the togo and push options on the web interface.
Your help has been greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4392
Hercules67
TiVo addict

William,

I have a question about your release of pyTivo. Back in 2011, your branch had the option to detect "pad changes" in files being dealt with, by ffmpeg, because a change in ffmpeg had caused a problem. Here's your original message about it:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...264.html#11264

And the original thread:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...pad-t1418.html

I still have two S2 units, and I occasionally get files failing because of the pad option. When they fail, all processing stops, and no additional files get processed.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I change something? Or has this been fixed in ffmpeg?

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #4393
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The pad option problem is the same thing as your previous problem. I'm working on it... it's just about the hairiest piece of code in pyTivo, unfortunately.

BTW, the post you cite is about detecting which pad options the version of FFmpeg in use requires, not detecting changes in files. In fact, pyTivo is not capable of dealing with a file that changes resolution mid-stream. Fortunately these are extremely rare. (I've never personally seen one. The ones I've heard of were due to cable companies inserting SD ads into HD programs.)

P.S. Yes, as mentioned before, you're doing something "wrong", in the sense that you're creating files with bizarre resolutions, which are hard to deal with. However, pyTivo should still be able to handle them, and I have every intention that it do so. It's just not straightforward to implement for every case. (That is to say, the implementation is already there, and has been for a long time, but it breaks down in edge cases like yours. And the necessary fix looks like a total rewrite of the pad functions.) Meanwhile, you could probably solve the issue for yourself by using standard video resolutions (though it won't change what I have to do). Otherwise, please be patient.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 06-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #4394
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The pad option problem is the same thing as your previous problem. I'm working on it... it's just about the hairiest piece of code in pyTivo, unfortunately.

BTW, the post you cite is about detecting which pad options the version of FFmpeg in use requires, not detecting changes in files. In fact, pyTivo is not capable of dealing with a file that changes resolution mid-stream. Fortunately these are extremely rare. (I've never personally seen one. The ones I've heard of were due to cable companies inserting SD ads into HD programs.)

P.S. Yes, as mentioned before, you're doing something "wrong", in the sense that you're creating files with bizarre resolutions, which are hard to deal with. However, pyTivo should still be able to handle them, and I have every intention that it do so. It's just not straightforward to implement for every case. (That is to say, the implementation is already there, and has been for a long time, but it breaks down in edge cases like yours. And the necessary fix looks like a total rewrite of the pad functions.) Meanwhile, you could probably solve the issue for yourself by using standard video resolutions (though it won't change what I have to do). Otherwise, please be patient.
Meanwhile, I am trying to teach myself HOW to use and/or implement standard resolutions. I really have not converted anything since I had those problems. I am trying to use Handbrake to get mp4s (and I of course get standard resolution files, but cropped sides)...but I hadn't even done that. All, my "Revolution" episodes that I have been catching up on, I've been bringing back "untouched" (without processing) from my storage HDDs.

-----------------------------------------------

The interesting part is that the latest problem happened on a documentary someone gave me (see attached file). Oh well. I don't know why this file failed, but it does with the padding issue. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Attached Files
File Type: txt Example.txt (4.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #4395
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
I don't know why this file failed
It looks like another goofy resolution.

If you could make these files available to me, it might help. You can FTP to wmcbrine.com, or whatever.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #4396
lpwcomp

Quote:

If you could make these files available to me, it might help. You can FTP to wmcbrine.com, or whatever.
If it helps any, that series ("Ancient Discoveries") was produced in the UK, which has a penchant for producing shows with goofy aspect ratios.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #4397
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:

Hmmm!

Me and my Goofy resolutions!!!

LOL, but why does pyTiVo fail completely after trying to execute said file?

Anyhow, I am putting the file in my Dropbox and sending you a link by PM. Is that acceptable?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #4398
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If it helps any, that series ("Ancient Discoveries") was produced in the UK, which has a penchant for producing shows with goofy aspect ratios.
Just my luck for wanting to watch a weird series like that!

BTW, I wonder how the newest ffmpeg would have handled this file. I am still running the ffmpeg from 2009 that I went back to... What do I know (....nothing).

I know enough to be dangerous and mess myself up... LOL.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #4399
innocentfreak

I am drawing a blank since it has been so long. I am setting up a new Win 8 PC running PyTiVo. I have everything setup and configured to run as a service using Windows install guide in the wiki as a reminder.

I have hit a wall though. I now get a connection reset whenever I select my shares in the PyTiVo. These are network shares, but I used the network address. I am thinking it might be a permission issue, but I can't for the life of me figure it out or how to fix it. Using Windows 8 isn't helping either.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #4400
moyekj

Are you running service using default service account or your own login? Try switching service to use your login + password if you have not tried that already.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #4401
innocentfreak

The guide had me set it up as a Network Service.

Switching to my username worked. I will have to check my old PC and see how I set it up originally, because I don't remember having to swap it. Then again I may have not setup the service as a Network Service.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #4402
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The guide had me set it up as a Network Service.

Switching to my username worked. I will have to check my old PC and see how I set it up originally, because I don't remember having to swap it. Then again I may have not setup the service as a Network Service.
On my Windows Home Server, it's been running as Local System since 2009 but that is Windows Server 2003 which doesn't have some of the security restrictions of Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #4403
innocentfreak

Or well I thought it worked.

Running it as a service, I can't see my TiVos as a push option and they can't see the shares. I also can't access the webui from any other PC either using iport.

If I just run PyTiVo, everything for the most part works. I can see my TiVos to push and they can see the shares. If I try to browse the shares from the TiVo, I see please wait and then the message could not be displayed because not available.

I don't remember ever having this many issues installing this on my Win 7 PC so I have no idea what is going on. I don't know if it is just simple stuff I am missing in Windows 8. I am really thinking of just going back to my Win 7 setup for all of this since that still works.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #4404
innocentfreak

Since I am running it with a window currently, I saw this error which I haven't seen before so I don't know if it matters or not. I figured I would post it in case since I am running the latest PyTiVo, wmcbrine's fork.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 835, in run
    self.readers[socket].handle_read()
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 894, in handle_read
    self.zc.handleQuery(msg, _MDNS_ADDR, _MDNS_PORT)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 1561, in handleQuery
    self.send(out, addr, port)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 1565, in send
    packet = out.packet()
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 729, in packet
    self.writeRecord(answer, time)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 713, in writeRecord
    record.write(self)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 438, in write
    out.writeName(self.server)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 688, in writeName
    self.writeByte(index)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 635, in writeByte
    self.pack('!c', chr(value))
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 835, in run
    self.readers[socket].handle_read()
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 894, in handle_read
    self.zc.handleQuery(msg, _MDNS_ADDR, _MDNS_PORT)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 1561, in handleQuery
    self.send(out, addr, port)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 1565, in send
    packet = out.packet()
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 729, in packet
    self.writeRecord(answer, time)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 713, in writeRecord
    record.write(self)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 438, in write
    out.writeName(self.server)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 688, in writeName
    self.writeByte(index)
  File "C:\Pytivo\wmcbrine\Zeroconf.py", line 635, in writeByte
    self.pack('!c', chr(value))
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256)
This popped up after I believe a successfull push. I haven't checked the TiVo yet to make sure it went through fine.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #4405
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, this is a new error in the Zeroconf module that showed up when I moved packet creation out of a try/except loop. It's one of those things that goes away when I try to debug it. It will come up periodically regardless of what you're doing or not doing, but only at some indeterminate time after restarting pyTivo. So far, it doesn't seem to affect anything -- not surprisingly, since really it was always happening; it was just masked. Anyway, if it bothers you too much to see it, you could disable Zeroconf for now.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #4406
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OK, that should be fixed now.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #4407
innocentfreak

ok cool, thanks.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #4408
Thos19

Does pyTivo work with Windows 8 ?
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #4409
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
Does pyTivo work with Windows 8 ?
yes been using a while now

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #4410
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Yes, but it works better on CENTOS6! Solid, fast, amazing!
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote