TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
sbiller

R.I.P. Boxee: 3 lessons to learn from Boxee’s demise

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/05/3-...oxee-shutdown/

Pretty fair analysis looking at some of the mistakes made by Boxee. TiVo appears to be avoiding many of them which may be the reason they are still around after so many years...
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

One of Boxee's biggest mistakes was introducing a product in a market that was already flooded with media players at a price that wasn't competitive with the other devices. I didn't see anything about the Boxee Box at $199 that would convince me it was a better product than a Roku or a WDTV player that were available for less than half the cost. They came out of the gate with two strikes against them. It was clearly developed by enthusiasts that knew nothing about marketing and retail sales.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought the Boxee Box complimented the ROku. My Boxee Boxes could not replace my Rokus and my Rokus could not replace my Boxee Boxes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
MikeMar
Go Pats

Boxee Box at $199 was and is still one of my best electronics buys

Use it almost every day, and it works GREAT for years and hopefully a few more years to come.

I wish they just updated it and kept it not like the DVR thing they did

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

Pretty fair analysis looking at some of the mistakes made by Boxee. TiVo appears to be avoiding many of them which may be the reason they are still around after so many years...
The only reason TiVo is still around is because of Patent Trolling. No other reason.

TiVo has never made a dime it didn't sue someone out of.

They'd have gone under 6 years ago if it wasn't for the Courts.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
The only reason TiVo is still around is because of Patent Trolling. No other reason.

Patent trolling? Isn't a patent troll a company that doesn't have a product that just sues for the patents they have? TiVo sells a product that uses their patents. Why should someone be able to use patents they have for free? It doesn't work that way with other companies, why should it be different for TiVo?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:

TiVo also would not be out of business if other companies didn't try to infringe on and steal their patented technologies, but paid licensing fees which they should legally be doing.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Patent trolling? Isn't a patent troll a company that doesn't have a product that just sues for the patents they have? TiVo sells a product that uses their patents. Why should someone be able to use patents they have for free? It doesn't work that way with other companies, why should it be different for TiVo?
Please do NOT feed the real Troll.

Tim S.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Replay had a patent that belongs to DirecTV now. Cisco has a patent, MOTO has a patent, Microsoft has a patent, Dish worked around the patent and has one of their own, and the EPO just revoked TiVo's patent so Liberty is free to do whatever they want as far as patents are concerned.

I don't see any of these other companies suing anyone over their DVR patents.

TiVo? Looks like patent trolling to me.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
TiVo also would not be out of business if other companies didn't try to infringe on and steal their patented technologies, but paid licensing fees which they should legally be doing.
No one has EVER been found to be "infringing their patented technologies" FACT!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
SnakeEyes

I see someone is trolling about patent trolling.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I see someone is trolling about patent trolling.
Yes, anyone who points out the warts of this Company or product is a troll...

I get it, already!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dish worked around the patent and has one of their own.
I don't know about the rest of these companies but Dish blatantly ripped them off. Back in the early days Dish came to TiVo and had them develop a prototype for a box that would work on Dish's network. TiVo gave them a prototype and after some time Dish came back and said never mind we've developed our own, which just happened to have the same basic design as the one TiVo gave them. It was straight out theft. The other companies may have developed their own products which just happened to run up against TiVo patents, but Dish flat out stole their technology and banked on TiVo going out of business before they ever had to account for it. And they almost did a few times.

Also I'm pretty sure there was at least one quarter, maybe two, where TiVo turned a profit. It may have been an accounting trick, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple times when they were in the black.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't know about the rest of these companies but Dish blatantly ripped them off. Back in the early days Dish came to TiVo and had them develop a prototype for a box that would work on Dish's network. TiVo gave them a prototype and after some time Dish came back and said never mind we've developed our own, which just happened to have the same basic design as the one TiVo gave them. It was straight out theft. The other companies may have developed their own products which just happened to run up against TiVo patents, but Dish flat out stole their technology and banked on TiVo going out of business before they ever had to account for it. And they almost did a few times.

Also I'm pretty sure there was at least one quarter, maybe two, where TiVo turned a profit. It may have been an accounting trick, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple times when they were in the black.
Straight out theft?

Sorry, no...

It took 2 courts over 4 years to ponder that very question and they never got the chance to answer it due to the parties "settling".

As a matter of fact I believe that TiVo was going to LOSE to Dish on appeal and that was the very reason they took the lowball settlement they were offered.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Straight out theft?

Sorry, no...

It took 2 courts over 4 years to ponder that very question and they never got the chance to answer it due to the parties "settling".

As a matter of fact I believe that TiVo was going to LOSE to Dish on appeal and that was the very reason they took the lowball settlement they were offered.
Regardless of what the courts did or didn't say the anecdotal evidence that Dish stole TiVo's technology was overwhelming. Dish is as guilty as OJ Simpson on this one.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Regardless of what the courts did or didn't say the anecdotal evidence that Dish stole TiVo's technology was overwhelming. Dish is as guilty as OJ Simpson on this one.
Unfortunately smarter people than us differ with your opinion.

But all kidding aside the only reason TiVo got any traction at all in that lawsuit is because they convinced a Judge that "parse" meant "analyse".

Remember, patents are granted to FURTHER technologies, not for the inventor to become a multi billionaire.

Also remember, TiVo didn't patent the DVR (they can't) they patented a process.

All Dish needed to do (and did) was show that they omitted a step in TiVo's process and was granted a patent of their own.

What everyone gets wrong is that DISH wasn't found guilty of infringement or "stealing" they were found guilty of not obeying an injunction. An injunction that wasn't written clearly according to the CAFC. An injunction that was stayed MULTIPLE times.

Big difference....
Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
atmuscarella

Quote:
What everyone gets wrong is that DISH wasn't found guilty of infringement or "stealing" they were found guilty of not obeying an injunction. An injunction that wasn't written clearly according to the CAFC. An injunction that was stayed MULTIPLE times.

Big difference....
Very amusing, so you think Dish had won the day, looked things over and decided to send TiVo a big fat check just because they are nice guys?

If you really believe that I have a great investment for you - a really great bridge.

Dish settled because they decided it was their least cost option - which means they believed they were going to lose.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Very amusing, so you think Dish had won the day, looked things over and decided to send TiVo a big fat check just because they are nice guys?

If you really believe that I have a great investment for you - a really great bridge.

Dish settled because they decided it was their least cost option - which means they believed they were going to lose.
What I believe is irrelevant. The FACT is, Dish was never found guilty of infringement or "stealing". They settled because they were going to found guilty of ignoring an injunction and knew it was cheaper to pay the settlement than to have to shut their boxes down.

TiVo won the proverbial battle but Charlie won the war. He won EVERY SINGLE RULING after the jury award, and there was no reason to think that was going to change the the second time around.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
atmuscarella

Quote:
What I believe is irrelevant.
Exactly
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

Sam, if your still there, trying to get this discussion back on topic, Why would Samsung buy this Boxee thing, what are they going to even do with it? If Boxee can't sell a Boxee what make Samsung think they can sell a Boxee? Maybe I need more info on what a Boxee is use for.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My understanding is that the Boxee hardware was only ever intended to be one platform for the Boxee software, much as the TiVo box is theoretically just a platform for the TiVo software. Presumably, Samsung will integrate Boxee features into their own devices.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My understanding is that the Boxee hardware was only ever intended to be one platform for the Boxee software, much as the TiVo box is theoretically just a platform for the TiVo software. Presumably, Samsung will integrate Boxee features into their own devices.
I see this primarily as a play to upgrade Samsung's software/services. Boxee has some talented software engineers that could improve the Samsung user experience.

That is my translation of this Samsung statement,

Quote:
“This will help us continue to improve the overall user experience across our connected devices.”

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
magnus
Tivo User

And what will happen with their existing boxes? Are they completely dead as far as development (bug fixes)? What happens to all the boxes that were for sale at Walmart?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
What I believe is irrelevant. The FACT is, Dish was never found guilty of infringement or "stealing". They settled because they were going to found guilty of ignoring an injunction and knew it was cheaper to pay the settlement than to have to shut their boxes down.

TiVo won the proverbial battle but Charlie won the war. He won EVERY SINGLE RULING after the jury award, and there was no reason to think that was going to change the the second time around.
Pure FICTION. i don't know what alternate universe you live in, but it is certainly different from the rest of us.

Dish was found guilty of infringing on TiVo's patents in a jury trial in 2006 and TiVo was awarded 74 million.
EVERY SINGLE RULING after the jury award went TiVo's way. The major one concerning the infringing was the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals which affirmed the software infringing, but said the hardware infringing needed to be discussed more if TiVo wanted to pursue it. Since the software infringing was enough to require licenses, TiVo never did.

Everything afterwards was Dish playing games; saying that very minor changes in their DVR software (going from 8 buffers to 10?) was sufficient to not require licenses, and if TiVo thought otherwise, they would have to sue again from the beginning. The trial judge said that was nonsense, and ruled (yet again) that Dish was infringing and awarded TiVo more money. Dish appealed and lost yet again.

The final en banc ruling in 2011 included the following:
Quote:
Pursuant to Rule 58 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and in accordance with the jury verdict delivered on April 13, 2006 and with the Court's contemporaneously filed orders, the Court thereby enters judgment lor Plaintiff against Defendants for infringement of U.S. Patent No. 6,233,389 (`"389 patent"), claims 1, 5, 21, 23, 32, 36, 52, 31 and 61 ("the Infringed Claims") by Defendants' following DVR receivers (collectively the "Infringing Products''): DP-501; DP-508; DP-510: DP-522; DP-625; DP-721; DP-921; and the DP-942.
The final ruling did say that some of the monetary judgement had to be vacated. Instead of $1.25/month for Dish's use of its modified software, the monetary penalty had to be $1.25/month for Dish's use of its original software, since the modified and original software had been ruled effectively the same. So a penalty got vacated, but an equal penalty got substituted.

Dish was found of infringing on TiVo's patents at every step of the path (though some infringements were reduced). Your claim otherwise is just totally ridiculous.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
And what will happen with their existing boxes? Are they completely dead as far as development (bug fixes)? What happens to all the boxes that were for sale at Walmart?
They are still for sale.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boxee-TV/21984297
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
disturbedfred

Quote:

And I'm sure 6 years ago you were screaming how TiVo was going out of business any day.
disturbedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #27
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Fantastic summary. Let's see if its ignored
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #28
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
There still for sale, but I would not buy one. Most likely the Boxee's will not receive any new support. I will bet that the cloud DVR will die before the end of the year.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Pure FICTION. i don't know what alternate universe you live in, but it is certainly different from the rest of us.

Dish was found guilty of infringing on TiVo's patents in a jury trial in 2006 and TiVo was awarded 74 million.
EVERY SINGLE RULING after the jury award went TiVo's way. The major one concerning the infringing was the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals which affirmed the software infringing, but said the hardware infringing needed to be discussed more if TiVo wanted to pursue it. Since the software infringing was enough to require licenses, TiVo never did.

Everything afterwards was Dish playing games; saying that very minor changes in their DVR software (going from 8 buffers to 10?) was sufficient to not require licenses, and if TiVo thought otherwise, they would have to sue again from the beginning. The trial judge said that was nonsense, and ruled (yet again) that Dish was infringing and awarded TiVo more money. Dish appealed and lost yet again.

The final en banc ruling in 2011 included the following:

The final ruling did say that some of the monetary judgement had to be vacated. Instead of $1.25/month for Dish's use of its modified software, the monetary penalty had to be $1.25/month for Dish's use of its original software, since the modified and original software had been ruled effectively the same. So a penalty got vacated, but an equal penalty got substituted.

Dish was found of infringing on TiVo's patents at every step of the path (though some infringements were reduced). Your claim otherwise is just totally ridiculous.
The CAFC also sent the case back to EDTX for another trial. A trial that never happened because of the settlement. Atrial that DISH may very well would have won.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #30
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Fantastic summary. Let's see if its ignored
Whats ignored is my original point that this company would have gone under 6 years ago if it wasn't for patent trolling.

They've never made a dime they didn't sue someone out of.

Let's see what happens now that the lawsuits are over.