TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
rarceneaux

Tivo 4 tuner and Charter

I want to get a 4 turner and I have a HD now with a cable card and tuning adapter. Tivo said I can't record any Channels that are analog so does that mean any low channels that don't have a matching HD channel with charter won't work? Am I missing something?
rarceneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Depends. In some areas they do what's called simulcasting, which means all the analog stations actually have a digital equivalent and the TiVo will record those just fine. However it can not record any channels that are analog only. In my area we have Charter and we still have about 30 analog only channels. I can't record any of them on my 4 tuner Premiere.

The easiest way to tell if you have any analog channels is to go into Messages & Setting, CableCards & devices, Tuning Adapter, Test channels. Any channel you can not access on this screen is analog and will not be capable of being recorded on a 4 tuner unit. If all of your channels come through this screen then you're fine.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
XIBM

I am on the Gainesville GA Charter System and record 106 Bloomberg all the time. I can also see live TV on all the low channels but have not tried recording them. I do have a problem with the XL4 it that it stalls about once a week and has to be rebooted but Tivo is hopefully working on the problem, see Loses all Channels thread...
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
rarceneaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Depends. In some areas they do what's called simulcasting, which means all the analog stations actually have a digital equivalent and the TiVo will record those just fine. However it can not record any channels that are analog only. In my area we have Charter and we still have about 30 analog only channels. I can't record any of them on my 4 tuner Premiere.

The easiest way to tell if you have any analog channels is to go into Messages & Setting, CableCards & devices, Tuning Adapter, Test channels. Any channel you can not access on this screen is analog and will not be capable of being recorded on a 4 tuner unit. If all of your channels come through this screen then you're fine.
I did the test above and when I test channels they all come through so is that something the tuning adapter and M card takes care of making all channels digital. I have a tv in a spare bedroom and I can get the basic channels on that tv with the cable going into the tv so at that would tell me the basic cable is analog.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds like they are doing simulcasting in your area. Basically all the low channels have two versions an analog and a digital version. When an anlog only device tunes them they get the analog version, but when a digital device tunes them they get the digital version. You can verify this by trying to record one of the low channels. If it is in fact digital then it will not offer you the quality selection option. (i.e. Best, High, etc...) If it's analog then it will.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
rarceneaux

Got my Tivo 4 tuner and all Channels work with charter. tivo moved my $6.95 plan to the Tivo 4 under a special they had so I am happy.