TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
RSalpeter

Question How can I extend/boost the HDMI Output to go 40'

Does anyone know a reliable way to extend/boost the HDMI output from a TiVo Premiere XL4 to go 40' or more over an HDMI cable to a TV?

I'm using a 40' Monoprice RedMere HDMI cable but the signal from my TiVo is to weak. I see mostly static and about 5% of the setup screen.

However, my Blu-ray player has no problem with the same 40' distance.

I would expect there has to be a reliable device that would boost the signal strength from my TiVo enough to go 40' but I have no idea what it would be.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.
RSalpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Given that HDMI is digital, I don't see how it could result in static. Perhaps a powered HDMI switch in the run would help, or an HDMI over CAT5 cable device.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #3

I had the same problem and tried all sorts of power insertion devices for HDMI. I finally ended up using a powered HDMI switch and was able to get rid of the sparkle effect of my long HDMI run. I bought the powered HDMI switch from monoprice. They have plenty of options.

You can also try "simplifying" the HDMI signal. Set your tivo for 480i, then 480p, then 720p, then 1080i. Try each setting and see if you can get the signal to work. In my experience, the simpler the signal, the longer it runs.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote