TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Brooks99

Can anyone help me with Music, Photo & Video Transfers?

I am using Tivo Desktop version 2.8.2 (412369). I have a directory under Videos to transfer that has about 20 videos in it. I have checked the box to automatically download the videos to my quad tuner DVR, but the DVR only shows 3 files. The Tivo desktop application says the programs will show up in the bottom of the "now playing list" if they are not automatically download, but I do not see the videos in the correct folder or at the bottom on the "now playing list". I am sending the videos to my premier quad tuner Tivo. I have looked for the videos using the standard Tivo menu and the HD Tivo menu and all I see are the three files. The files are all saved as mp4 files. IS there a limit on the number of files or type of file like ***** or mp3?
Thanks

Brooks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
HomeUser

*.MP4 is a supported format if you have TiVo Desktop Plus see Supported video formats include:.

I am not sure what the limit is if any to the number of shows that will be transferred from the send folder. The maximum I ever tried was 15 that was before I installed PyTiVo I have not used TiVo Desktop much since. There is very long thread about PyTiVo here in the TiVo Community Forms pyTivo - Transcoding server
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
ggieseke

Also keep in mind that Desktop 2.8.x won't "push" .TiVo files.

Straight MPEG-2 and some other formats still work if you have Plus.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Brooks99

Are you saying I need to save my videos as mpeg 2? Will it automatically download .avi or mp4?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
ggieseke

The link that HomeUser already posted lists the supported formats if you have Desktop Plus. The free version only supports MPEG-2.

You can "pull" .TiVo files by selecting them for transfer from the TiVo's interface, but you can't auto-push them from the PC.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Brooks99

Homeuser is correct, but I have the paid version and there are other options.

According to my paid version of Desktop Plus, You have two options:
No - don't auto transfer to my DVR and Yes, Auto-transfer to my DVR
Then you tell it which DVR to transfer them to and how many episodes to keep.
My TIVO created a group with the same name as my computer's folder and transferred three of my ten videos to the DVR automatically. My videos are either .mp4, .avi, or wmv.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks99 View Post
The Tivo desktop application says the programs will show up in the bottom of the "now playing list" if they are not automatically download,
Okay, so just so i am understanding correctly here......

You have some video files which are currently on your computer and you wish to copy these files over onto your Tivo, correct?

Assuming that is the case...... the video files on your PC will not show up in your "now playing" list until AFTER they are already successfully copied onto your Tivo.

When you first install the Tivo desktop application on your computer, it should create a new folder called "My Tivo Recordings"....... or something like that. If you are unsure of the name of this folder or where it is located, you can easily find this information. At the bottom of the Tivo desktop app there is a link which says "where is this folder." You can click on that.

You will need to copy your video files into this folder.

Then, when you go into your "Now Playing" list on your Tivo, it should show you the computer that has these files on it. You want to click on that computer and then it should show you the list of files. You should be able to click on each individual file and it should give you the option to copy the files over onto your Tivo.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
HomeUser

True Colors, you can create one or more folders with TiVo Desktop that automatically send (push) videos to one or more of your TiVo DVR's when the videos are put into that folder. See "Adding Video Folders" in the TiVo Desktop and Broadband Features Guide
Quote:
Open TiVo Desktop and select the Share Music, Photos, & Videos icon.
Click the Video tab, then click theAdd Video button.
Navigate to the folder containing the folder of video you want to add. Select the folder and click the Add button.
Set your Video Folder Properties, including:
• Whether to auto-transfer videos
from this folder to your DVR
• How many videos from this folder to keep on the DVR
• Which DVR(s) will get videos from this folder
Brooks99, You probably have one or more "toxic" recordings in the auto-transfer folder on the PC that the DVR is having problems with. Try removing the next recording after the last one that transferred.

I know I am borderline OCD about solving these kind of problems however to get "production" done I suggest you check out PyTiVo.