TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #271
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
For me, i think the key is to sell the previous models soon after the new models are out. Many people don't want to try a brand new model and will still be looking for the older model.

After the new model has been out a while then the price you can get for the older model goes down. Plus if you've increased the storage capacity or have an extended warranty it also helps with the resale. I sold several of the Series 3 on ebay soon after the S4 models came out. I pocketed 80% to 90% of what the lifetime Premieres(non XL) cost me since they had also been upgraded to a larger hard drive years ago.

And I sold my two tuner S4 boxes when the Elite came out. I sold some here at tiVo Community, although I might have sold one or two on ebay, I can't remember. Since each Elite I was getting had four tuners which was replacing two, two tuner, Premieres. I wasn't trying to get an exorbitant value for them. Plus when the Elite first came out, the resale on the two tuner Premieres was higher than it is now.
Didn't work for me. I practically GAVE away my 2 premieres 6 months after release.

Actually felt bad about sticking someone I knew with them, but they were warned ahead of time.

Buyer beware and all that..l
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #272
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Didn't work for me. I practically GAVE away my 2 premieres 6 months after release.

Actually felt bad about sticking someone I knew with them, but they were warned ahead of time.

So why are you still here? You truly are an idiot. How many screen names do you have?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #273
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
You truly are an idiot. How many screen names do you have?
1.6 BILLION!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #274
compnurd

Quote:
1.6 BILLION!!!!
yeh that was stupid
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #275
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
yeh that was stupid
Yea, but I'm the "idiot".
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #276
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:

You are a fool if you practically gave away your TiVos.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #277
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Really? Don't you people have anything better to do than start fires, and throw more gas on them?

I've seen the same three people in multiple threads, doing nothing more than either flame-baiting, name-calling, telling people to just leave, and/or throwing fuel on fires. That kind of behavior is prohibited, and I sincerely hope those breaking the rules get what should be coming to them.

It's one thing to say "that was a dumb thing to do", as opposed to "you're an idiot".

I'm not even the one under attack (in this instance). I'm sure that's about to change, though... Spare me the "just go away" and the other BS. The only way I'm leaving anywhere is if I want to, or I am kicked-out, by those with the power to make that happen.

To keep somewhat on topic: I think something we should be asking TiVo for, in future updates and/or products, is the ability to pad a program in increments less than 1 minute. Usually, all I need is 5 to 15 seconds. If that were an option, I'd have no complaints about my programs either getting chopped at the end and/or losing anything important at the beginning of a program, due to padding the end of another one.

EDIT/ADD: As suggested by others, in other threads, it would also be nice to start late, stop early, also with less than 1 minute minimums, as well as more shorter increments above 1 minute.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-05-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: addition
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #278
aaronwt
HD Addict

Lifetime TiVos have always been able to get a decent price. The only TiVos I would consider that I almost gave them away were a couple of S3 boxes I had with upgraded hard drives(750GB) and no service. And even then I got around $140 for them back in May 2010. The Lifetime S3 boxes with upgraded hard drives(1TB) all sold for at least $425 back in May 2010.

These are the prices I got on ebay. I just looked at my feedback list which shows the price the items sold for.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #279
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
I'm a fool for having a conscience?

Sorry, but the Premire launch was a complete and total FAILURE!! It wasn't even Beta ready when they sprung it on us.

The fact that you think I should have duped someone else because of my exuberance to own the "latest and greatest" says all anyone needs to know.

Sad part is that TiVo lost a customer for life, and I lost a good friend.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #280
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I started this thread and for what that is worth, I am not interested in it devloving into name calling. The point of this thread is to share information, knowlege and guesses about the next generation TiVo devices.

I do not care if you liked the last TiVo launch and I do not care if you gave away our TiVo's. Not on topic and does not move the conversation forward.

Go pick a fight some place else.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #281
aaronwt
HD Addict

TiVo needs to publish some info about the S5 boxes.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #282
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
They haven't even really anounced them. Just leaked some information and of course the information gathered from the regulatory filings.

That is why I am amused when people complain that TiVo is going to miss some arbitrary date. TiVo hasn't anounced a date - how could they possibly miss a date they haven't published?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #283
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
They haven't even really anounced them. Just leaked some information and of course the information gathered from the regulatory filings.

That is why I am amused when people complain that TiVo is going to miss some arbitrary date. TiVo hasn't anounced a date - how could they possibly miss a date they haven't published?
Aw come on, missing a date is well missing a date, what difference does it make if that date is not published, you want everything.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #284
innocentfreak

Quote:
Quote:

I doubt they can announce anything until the FCC grants the waiver. I would expect to see something at CEDIA which is September 25-28th if they are still aiming for a fall release.

TiVo announced the Elite at the beginning of September, and then had the box on display at Cedia 3 weeks later and it was available a week or two later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #285
Richard Cranium

Quote:

They also haven't really announced they're even working on a new product.

What's the point on trying to guess a date for a product that might not even exist?

But if you insist.... Sometime in 2014.

Maybe.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #286
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:

What's the point on trying to guess a date for a product that might not even exist?

Maybe.
Your condescending tone aside...

We do know that a Series 5 unit is under development through multiple sources both from within TiVo and from partners. (See below)

You’re predicting a 2014 launch. Thank you, we all appreciate your contribution to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
We have a model number -- Series 5/TCD848000

On the MoCA Alliance webpage, they list devices that are MoCA certified and this was just recently added.

The head scratcher is that it's MoCA 1.1 certified when the most likely Broadcom chip is 2.0 certified... Going with a separate Entropic or similar solution instead?

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #287
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

Maybe.
No company ever annouces that they're working on a new version of something ahead of time because they don't want to hurt sales of the current unit. The only people that pre-announce products are companies working on something brand new and are trying to generate initial buzz and/or raise venture capital.

That being said TiVo's filing with the FCC specifically said that they are targeting this holiday season for these new boxes. So that's about as defenitive as it gets that they at least intend to release something new this fall. Whether they'll make the deadline remains to be seen, but that's definitely their target.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #288
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No company ever annouces that they're working on a new version of something ahead of time because they don't want to hurt sales of the current unit. The only people that pre-announce products are companies working on something brand new and are trying to generate initial buzz and/or raise venture capital.

That being said TiVo's filing with the FCC specifically said that they are targeting this holiday season for these new boxes. So that's about as defenitive as it gets that they at least intend to release something new this fall. Whether they'll make the deadline remains to be seen, but that's definitely their target.
Good points! I'm just thinking that it shouldn't matter if TiVo "announces" they're coming out with a new retail box. Thats not the market they're targeting anymore so what's the rush? It'll be out when it's out.

Hopefully it's out when it's FINISHED this time, unlike the Premeire fiasco.

I doubt they'll get many MSO customers to "upgrade" or switch either, so they might as well take their time and get it right.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #289
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Your condescending tone aside...

We do know that a Series 5 unit is under development through multiple sources both from within TiVo and from partners. (See below)

You’re predicting a 2014 launch. Thank you, we all appreciate your contribution to this thread.
If I wanted to be "condescending" I would have said "before the Sun turns Super Nova."

Oh.... And sarcasm aside, I appreciate the fact that you appreciate my contribution to the thread.

See how that works?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #290
SeaFractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
While streaming on any TiVo "Series 5" hardware should be fine if you are buying a TiVo to have access to Netflix I have a bridge that would make a good investment for you. Pretty much anything that has had it's hardware updated in the last year or 2 (TVs, blu-ray players, gaming consoles, stand alone streaming devices) works fine for streaming, the only reason to buy a TiVo is because you want a DVR and the only reason to upgrade an existing Premiere is because you want t better DVR. If all you want is Netflix or some other streaming service buy a Roku, Apple TV, or better yet a new Panasonic or Samsung TV.
Thanks for "paving over" the issue of streaming. You are right, I shouldn't have purchased the Tivo for anything other than recording live OTA content, like I do.

So if I can't complain about Netflix as being a reason to not purchase another Tivo in the future, I'll then point back to and state that the core feature still has issues periodically as well. And Tivo has had 5 times to get it right, why should I waste it on number 6?

This is the stated problem of recording two episodes, going in to view a pre-recorded episode and having the box reboot and waiting a long period of time. Once I see the dancing Tivo animation, the recording lights will come back on and capture the remainder of the show, but I've lost about a 10 minute window.

One might ask me why I continue to struggle with Tivo? Because I don't wish to subscribe to either cable or Sat, so I need a DVR that works well over OTA.

Unfortunately the Dish "DishPAL DVR" is discontinued and the guide is gone (now defunct for Rovi TVGOS) .

So I'm stuck and hoping that the developers of the software get the problems all squashed.

So if it's solid, I'll think about a gen 6.

Otherwise, until it is working, I'll buy your bridge.
SeaFractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #291
series5orpremier

What are the odds the FCC would refuse to waive analog for the OTA/cable version and Tivo has a backup plan to include it? I'm mostly an OTA HD user but still have occasional analog cable needs and definitely need more tuners than the two in my Premier XL.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #292
Bigg

Quote:
I doubt they'll get many MSO customers to "upgrade" or switch either, so they might as well take their time and get it right.
They really want DTA on the old and new units, and they may see 6-tuners as a way to either charge more or get more Mini's out into the field, although in general, they won't be chomping at the bit to upgrade like this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
What are the odds the FCC would refuse to waive analog for the OTA/cable version and Tivo has a backup plan to include it? I'm mostly an OTA HD user but still have occasional analog cable needs and definitely need more tuners than the two in my Premier XL.
Not much. They've already waived a bunch of cable-only units, and OTA is digital now anyways, so that's really a non-issue. It's just cable, and there are tons of old Premieres out there if someone needs analog. Once they release new digital-only units, the eBay supply of the older two-tuner Premieres will probably go up as well as people start replacing systems of Premieres with 6-tuner boxes with Minis.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #293
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
Well, if any interested parties were against it, such as the NCTA (cable lobby), they would have been all over the waiver request and tried to tear it to shreds. The NCTA would have been the biggest pill about it. That there were no disagreements filed at all from anyone suggests everyone that matters is either for it at best, or don't care at worst.

Chances are good Tivo has a backup plan, but given the FCC's history of approving such waivers (like the Elite's waiver), chances are pretty low that the request gets denied.

If the FCC doesn't want to abandon the analog rule entirely, my guess is, at worst, the FCC would do what they often do -- give Tivo a window. Say, a 12-18 month waiver to release the products they're planning to release, and then after that they'll have to request a new waiver for evaluation at that time.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #294
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Good points! I'm just thinking that it shouldn't matter if TiVo "announces" they're coming out with a new retail box. Thats not the market they're targeting anymore so what's the rush? It'll be out when it's out.

Hopefully it's out when it's FINISHED this time, unlike the Premeire fiasco.

While I doubt MSOs will be upgrading existing equipment they could still be putting pressure on TiVo to release these new units because a few of the key features will effect them...

1) The 4 tuner unit will likely be cheaper to make then the current 4 tuner units.

2) The 6 tuner unit will work better with the Mini and allow them to better compete with the whole home solutions from Dish and DirecTV.

3) The faster hardware will give them a better user experience.

4) The 6 tuner unit will likely have built in Stream capabilities eliminating the need for them to deploy another box for those capabilities. And again allowing them to better compete with the offerings from Dish and DirecTV.

So even if TiVo doesn't care about the retail market there are still compelling reasons for them to want to get these new units out there.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #295
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
1) The 4 tuner unit will likely be cheaper to make then the current 4 tuner units.
Why do you think the new 4-tuner unit is lower cost to TiVo than the current Premiere 4?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #296
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just a guess. But if they plan on making the 4 tuner the new entry level unit then it will need to sell cheaper then the current one. And for that to happen it needs to be cheaper to make.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #297
wco81

4 tuner DVRs seem to be more common now. There's a good possibility that the components for DVRs are much cheaper now.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #298
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFractor View Post
Thanks for "paving over" the issue of streaming. You are right, I shouldn't have purchased the Tivo for anything other than recording live OTA content, like I do.
Not trying to "pave over" the issue but given that we can buy the top Roku or Apple TV for under $100 and the fact that DVRs (and gaming consoles,TVs etc.) cost significantly more I would worry about those devices primary function first and only consider stream abilities if there end up being several viable alternatives.

Quote:
So if I can't complain about Netflix as being a reason to not purchase another Tivo in the future, I'll then point back to and state that the core feature still has issues periodically as well. And Tivo has had 5 times to get it right, why should I waste it on number 6?

This is the stated problem of recording two episodes, going in to view a pre-recorded episode and having the box reboot and waiting a long period of time. Once I see the dancing Tivo animation, the recording lights will come back on and capture the remainder of the show, but I've lost about a 10 minute window.
I have not had your issue with my Premiere outside of reception issues my Premiere has been a rock solid DVR. Also you sure can complain about Netflix (or streaming apps in general) after all it is TiVo who pimps their DVRs streaming abilities so they should work and work well.

Quote:
One might ask me why I continue to struggle with Tivo? Because I don't wish to subscribe to either cable or Sat, so I need a DVR that works well over OTA.

Unfortunately the Dish "DishPAL DVR" is discontinued and the guide is gone (now defunct for Rovi TVGOS) .

So I'm stuck and hoping that the developers of the software get the problems all squashed.

So if it's solid, I'll think about a gen 6.

Otherwise, until it is working, I'll buy your bridge.
Well it's a real nice bridge . But I do understand being OTA only myself, unlike you all my issues are reception related and while my Series 3 units are marginally better than my Premiere and my HTPC with HDHomerun (which is about the same as the Premiere) none of my units have been working worth a cap the last few weeks. It has been the worst I have ever seen if this keeps up I will be forced back to Satellite.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #299
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Well, if any interested parties were against it, such as the NCTA (cable lobby), they would have been all over the waiver request and tried to tear it to shreds. The NCTA would have been the biggest pill about it. That there were no disagreements filed at all from anyone suggests everyone that matters is either for it at best, or don't care at worst.

Chances are good Tivo has a backup plan, but given the FCC's history of approving such waivers (like the Elite's waiver), chances are pretty low that the request gets denied.

If the FCC doesn't want to abandon the analog rule entirely, my guess is, at worst, the FCC would do what they often do -- give Tivo a window. Say, a 12-18 month waiver to release the products they're planning to release, and then after that they'll have to request a new waiver for evaluation at that time.
The NCTA is probably run by the big companies who are all digital or at least fully simulcast, since they put their own all-digital equipment out there to save $$$ as well. It's only a few little rinky-dink providers who aren't fully simulcast or digital-only altogether. Even the big providers who still have analog are behind the curve, Verizon and Comcast don't use analog anymore for anything. It's idiotic to run analog channels when you can put 2 or 3 HD's in the same space.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #300
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
...It's idiotic to run analog channels when you can put 2 or 3 HD's in the same space.
Oh, you must mean like Cox, in Las Vegas, who just forced us to start using tuning adapters on their already 1GHz network, while still continuing to provide analog service. Talk about idiotic...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote