TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
You can use an IR extender to send the commands to any hidden device. It's basically a receiver that sits out in the open that has an extension cord with an IR transmitter LED that you place in front of the device you want to control. Point the remote at the receiver and it picks up the signal and transmits it to the repeater to control the device.
Yeah - I understand this part...which was easy with the TiVo remote.
But now that I am trying to use my ole Harmony One remote to control everything including the hidden TiVo, do I search for the IR blaster in the Harmony database to integrate into the remote sequencing?
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #32
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
Yeah - I understand this part...which was easy with the TiVo remote.
But now that I am trying to use my ole Harmony One remote to control everything including the hidden TiVo, do I search for the IR blaster in the Harmony database to integrate into the remote sequencing?
There's nothing to program so you won't find anything in the Harmony database. A remote extender just picks up the IR signal from any remote and sends it to a remote IR transmit LED. Some are hardwired and some are connected via RF. Just google "remote extender" and you'll find a number of different models available.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
WO312

Looks like he already bought a Sewel IT blaster, so he was just asking how to program it. You answered that - he doesn't have to do anything. The blaster just picks up the signal from the Harmony One and sends it to the P4. I believe he has already tested that part with his Tivo remote. So as long as his Harmony is programmed with the proper Tivo codes he should be good to go.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
Good luck in finding one, but I think the Logitech Harmony One is the ticket. I've programmed my two TiVos so that all functions are accessed by physical buttons allowing to to use it by feel.
This...I've had my One for several years now, and it's never failed me...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Looks like he already bought a Sewel IT blaster, so he was just asking how to program it. You answered that - he doesn't have to do anything. The blaster just picks up the signal from the Harmony One and sends it to the P4. I believe he has already tested that part with his Tivo remote. So as long as his Harmony is programmed with the proper Tivo codes he should be good to go.

Yep - this was the case. I guess I originally thought the blaster was a separate entity that needed to be program itself like any other A/V equipment.

However, as previously stated by you all - the Sewel blaster just knows when to pick up the right signal & I suspect the TiVo actually nudges it somehow due to the IR eyes linking it to the blaster.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
mr.unnatural

Just so you know, an IR repeater picks up all IR signals and retransmits them. The device at the other end (i.e., the Tivo) knows what signals belong to it and responds only to those signals. It's the same as if all devices were within line of sight of the remote.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #37
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Just so you know, an IR repeater picks up all IR signals and retransmits them. The device at the other end (i.e., the Tivo) knows what signals belong to it and responds only to those signals. It's the same as if all devices were within line of sight of the remote.
Yep - just realizing it now. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
janry

I got a URC WR7 a couple of days ago based upon the recommendations in this thread. I have a Harmony One in our den and I just set up a man cave for my retirement. I wanted a Harmony One or something like it but decided for the difference in price, that I'd give the WR7 a try.

I love it. It is easy to program and I really like the feel of it. At this point, when the Harmony One in the den dies, I'll replace it with another one of these if they are still around.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #39
jwwz

Harmony #1

I've used Harmony Remotes for many years, I currently have two "Harmony One's" in my house and find them rock solid. They are time consuming to set up but worth it in the end.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #40
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwz View Post
I've used Harmony Remotes for many years, I currently have two "Harmony One's" in my house and find them rock solid. They are time consuming to set up but worth it in the end.
With the new Roamio TiVO DVRS being RF based remotes, I am assuming the Harmony One or URC WR7 won't work with it, correct? Or can they still maybe work with RF equipment with some sort of adapter?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
With the new Roamio TiVO DVRS being RF based remotes, I am assuming the Harmony One or URC WR7 won't work with it, correct? Or can they still maybe work with RF equipment with some sort of adapter?
As far as I know, all TiVo remotes work with the Roamios. IR remotes definitely work. You'll be missing keys, the "Back" key in particular, and the ABCD keys aren't on old TiVo remotes, but I wouldn't expect any problems other than the obvious ones.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #42
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
Looking for good universal all-in-one remote to handle TiVo, AVR, & BluRay.

Prefer RF but will consider IR.

Help please.
Read my new post about the Tivo Learning Remote
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #43
unitron

Nice to know there are good choices for those with only one TiVo in any given room.

Are there any that can do the same thing as the TiVo remotes with the 1-2 slide switch?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #44
buscuitboy

I now see on the TiVo website how these Roamio DVRs have remotes that are IR/RF based. Good to know & glad they kept the IR option.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
mcmnky

Hello,

I'm looking at the WR7 to replace a Harmony 890. I like the features of the Harmony, but find their remotes poorly made and short-lived.

I have 2 questions for the WR7 owners:

First, are the macros comparable to the activities on the Harmony? For example, I have a typical setup--TiVo, TV, receiver, optical disc player. I don't always use the receiver, so I have 2 disc player activities. One to turn on the TV, turn on player, and set the TV input to disc player. And a different activity to do all that, plus turn on the receiver and mute the TV.

Are the WR7 macros for that kind of use?

Second question, is it usable sitting on a flat surface? Thanks to TiVo, I'm not flipping around during commercials and I don't need my remote in hand at all times. My remote spends most of its time on the coffee table, but most remotes (even the TiVo peanut) are made to be held, with curved bottoms that rock and slide if you try to use them on a flat surface.

From pictures, it looks like the WR7 has a mostly flat base. Does it work well sitting on a table?

Thank you!

Sean
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD
mcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I replaced my Harmony 880 with a WR7 in March. Amazing capability for the price! I think it will do what you need and it does sit on a flat surface without wobbling. I had to replace the rechargeable battery in the 880 and it cost almost as much as the entire WR7. I see no justification for the bother and expense of rechargeable batts for a remote. The Harmony programming method was tedious and time consuming IMO. WR7 programming is fairly straightforward by comparison, and it includes the capability to learn commands from other remotes. Here is the manual for the WR7:
http://www.universalremote.com/pdf/wr7_manual.pdf

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #47
mcmnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I replaced my Harmony 880 with a WR7 in March. Amazing capability for the price! I think it will do what you need and it does sit on a flat surface without wobbling.
Thanks! I'd say it's hard to believe a Harmony remote costing hundreds of dollars could be replaced by a $20 remote, but that's not any less plausible than how poorly made those expensive remotes are.
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD
Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #48
Edmund
Remote Czar

See this old thread on URC Gamer, same remote as the WR7:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ighlight=gamer
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #49
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Hey, get the WR7 from Amazon, it's even a Prime item. Try it. 30 day return policy!

and
Old 11-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #50
hershey4

new to the idea of univ remote

Never tried one of these before, but I really like the idea of backlit keys for the bedroom tv. The Tivo Peanut seems to have so much more though. How do you program Tivo Central? LiveTv? Clear? 8sec rewind?. zoom? THumbs UP/Down? (I don't really use those 2, but curious)

Would I be able to program a macro to create a Timeout function? Currently, I have to use my television remote to press about a dozen keys to set TV sleep timer for 60 minutes. Can I do something like that? What button would it use? (thanks a bunch to Tivo upgrade for getting rid of the automatic 90 minute timeout)

I think the colors and labels on the Tivo peanut are useful. If I assign universal buttons for some of those functions, do I just have to remember what the program is for that key. My memory is not as good as it used to be :-)

I looked at the WR7 on Amazon and it looks pretty good. Can't beat the price.

It would be nice if Tivo came up with a Tivo-centric Universal Remote.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #51
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I have three Video sources:
Tivo, BluRay Player and Logitech Revue Google TV
and
A Sony Sound bar

My default configuration is the Tivo feeding the TV via component cables and bypassing the sound bar. No HDMI connections involved and the Tivo peanut remote is used. There are two reasons for this:

1. Nothing beats the peanut as a Tivo remote, although the WR7 can be programmed for at least partial control.
2. My wife needs ultimate simplicity. With the default configuration she just uses the Tivo remote to turn the TV on/off, control volume, etc.

The WR7 is programmed for single button toggling between default configuration and two other configurations:
1. Google TV source --HDMI--> Sound Bar --HDMI--> TV
2. Blu ray player --HDMI--> Sound Bar --HDMI--> TV

With the Google TV source the WR7 is programmed for some control but the Logitech Revue keyboard is much preferable.

With the Blu Ray source the WR7 can be used for all required control.

Turning the Sound Bar and Blu Ray on/off and selecting Sound Bar HDMI input is all part of the single button macros.

A variant of default configuration is to mute the TV component audio volume and get audio via the fiber optic sound coming out of the Tivo to the Sound Bar. The WR7 has buttons programmed to do this, and in general to control the Sound Bar menu items.

If all the WR7 did was furnish the single button configuration switch capability it would be well worth the $20 to me, considering how many button pushes on several different remotes would otherwise be required.

and
Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #52
mcmnky

Has anyone used the URC R40 remote with TiVo?

I tried the WR7, but it's not working out for me. Its macros couldn't hold enough pauses to wait for my TV to come completely to life before trying to change the input, and there were too many buttons missing (tivo, thumbs up/down, eject for disc player, etc.).

I'm wondering if the R40 with the LCD screen is closer in features to the Harmony 890 I'm replacing.
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD

Last edited by mcmnky : 12-31-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #53
jbluemke

yeah, i didn't like that one either
jbluemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #54
jbluemke

I heard good things about the URC R40 but never used it
jbluemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #55
Edmund
Remote Czar

The R40 has to be sent in to be upgraded to fix a bug that erases taught commands.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384297/of...urc-r40-thread
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #56
bigguy126

I'm using the R40 for my setup. I did get it to do everything I wanted. It is, for sure a bit of a learning curve. I had problems with their firmware in the beginning. THere is a bug in one of the versions where it forgets what you programmed. I bought on Amazon and returned 2 and still got the bad version. Had to send back to the company to get correct one. Firmware is not updatable. Easiest way to setup is to take EVERY remote you want it to learn and have it learn EACH key. Then program your macro's. It has been working pretty flawlessly. It does go through batteries pretty quickly. Like once a month. I got some rechargeable ones. Setup is Roamio, TV, Stereo receiver, Roku, DVD player, Cd player.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #57
mcmnky

The firmware issue with the R40 (keys loosing programming) seems to be fixed with the versions newer than 1.19.

Support seems good, with many reports of units with older firmware being replaced at no charge with new remotes (within warranty). I've also seen reports that Amazon is sending out remotes with firmware 1.20.

I like the features on the Xsight Touch ARRX18G from Acoustic Research, although it's an older model.

I assume whichever way I go there will be much manual programming of keys. Functions like discrete on/off (not toggle) and setting the TV to a specific input are things not usually included (unless the remote software goes in to the level the detail like the Harmony).
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #58
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
Never tried one of these before, but I really like the idea of backlit keys for the bedroom tv. The Tivo Peanut seems to have so much more though. How do you program Tivo Central? LiveTv? Clear? 8sec rewind?. zoom? THumbs UP/Down? (I don't really use those 2, but curious)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
I think the colors and labels on the Tivo peanut are useful. If I assign universal buttons for some of those functions, do I just have to remember what the program is for that key. My memory is not as good as it used to be :-)
You might be better served by a model that has buttons that can be labeled. I use our old MX-350 (actually now new since it had to go in for service and they just replaced it with a new one) in the bedroom to control the Mini. It has 5 buttons to the right of the LCD screen and the labels for the buttons are customizable on the screen. You can assign up to 8 (IIRC) pages of such buttons to a device for a maximum of 40 such buttons for each device.

The R40 mentioned above is another possibility. I got tired of having to rely on codes and learning so I went with the MX-980 for our main media room but it is a pricey remote intended for custom installers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmnky View Post
I assume whichever way I go there will be much manual programming of keys. Functions like discrete on/off (not toggle) and setting the TV to a specific input are things not usually included (unless the remote software goes in to the level the detail like the Harmony).
I wouldn't expect them on URC's consumer line. They are, however, available on (at least some of) URC's professional line.

Last edited by takeshi : 01-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #59
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Nice to know there are good choices for those with only one TiVo in any given room.

Are there any that can do the same thing as the TiVo remotes with the 1-2 slide switch?
All universal remotes will have several Tivo codes for the 0-9 Tivo uses, 0 for any 1-9 unique. My inexpensive SRU5108/27 only has 0,1,2 I use 1 under cable and 2 under DVR to control 2 Tivos in one room, would have to use learning to use 3 or more. I do wonder if the expensive ones have more or maybe all the Tivo codes programmed in.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #60
CharlesH

It took me a while to understand that the 1-2 switch on the TiVo remotes did not switch between code sets 1 and 2. Instead, they allow two arbitrary code sets to be selected. For example, switch position 1 could be set to code set 5 and switch position 2 could be set to code set 1.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote