Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #91
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The soldiers and scientists outside the dome ignoring the people inside the dome is pretty stupid. Since nobody knows anything about the dome, even silly questions like "How's the weather in there?" adds to the knowledge base. I'm willing to accepts a huge, clear dome suddenly dropping around a town but they don't have to be idiots about it.
Well, we don't know what they're up to. Again, I suspect that sooner rather than later we'll have some scenes outside the Dome that will shed some light on their behavior.

At first, it was regular people out there who were acting normally (e.g., the firemen). Since then it's been the soldiers, and who knows who they are and what their orders are.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #92
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

I would assume that people from the various parts of town are saying where the dome wall is and the locals would be able to get a good idea of the size from that. Any actual measurements are not necessary or even useful. If it's not furthering the story,why waste time on it? The 20 seconds they spent showing Joe figure out the diameter was wasted time.
Yeah. Cause a single sentence that said "we've been around the whole thing and there is no gap" would take so much time. Meanwhile, the presenters are telling us that the townsfolk are IDIOTS.

That viewers are talking about it shows that it is necessary to put some realism into the show.

Normal people would ask and question. Not these idiots. They just go to bed and ask if it is gone in the morning. How foolish would they be if it turns out it only faces one direction?

Oh. And they AREN'T checking it out. The kid that was doing it shows they aren't. He didn't run into anyone else.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #93
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I don't need to be spoon fed exposition for things to make sense.
You seem to know how people should be reacting and what they should be doing. Take all the people we don't see on screen and assume they are doing everything the way you know they would because, after all, it's the only way it can be. Now all of the gaps you're whining about are filled in and no screen time was wasted on useless exposition.

Quote:
Oh. And they AREN'T checking it out. The kid that was doing it shows they aren't. He didn't run into anyone else.
That's just very poor reasoning.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #94
TonyD79

Quote:
I don't need to be spoon fed exposition for things to make sense.
You seem to know how people should be reacting and what they should be doing. Take all the people we don't see on screen and assume they are doing everything the way you know they would because, after all, it's the only way it can be. Now all of the gaps you're whining about are filled in and no screen time was wasted on useless exposition.

That's just very poor reasoning.
I see. So you watch a tv show or a movie for what they don't show you.

Talk about poor reasoning.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #95
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
An entire town? This is a very, very small town and we are watching the leaders.

Don't try to rationalize the stupidity. The only explanation would be that the dome is releasing a gas that is impairing everyone dumb.
I think the town is bigger than you're proposing. It's not huge, of course, but they are big enough to have their own hospital and a car dealership. How on earth would a car dealership survive if there were only a handful of people in the town? I guess there are elements related to population that appear contradictory, though, like the appearance that there are only four cops (which would suggest a pretty small community). Maybe there are more cops than we've seen. They did have several fire trucks headed out of town for a parade at the beginning of episode one. I've lived in a small town where they only had one fire truck and a volunteer fire department and it was still big enough to where not everyone knew each other. So, if they have several trucks, they probably aren't that "very, very small."

It's not about justifying the stupidity. I'm not saying it's written extremely well or anything. I just disagree with playing the "if it didn't happen on screen it didn't happen" card so quickly. What we are seeing is what the writers believe is most interesting—and that's clearly not everything. I would much rather see the kid with his sidekick friend trying to figure stuff out than some high-school science teacher doing the same thing—and showing us more than one person doing all of the things we all think we'd do first would get old fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #96
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
I see. So you watch a tv show or a movie for what they don't show you.

Talk about poor reasoning.
That's a leap.

Appreciating writers leaving out needless exposition does not equate to watching a show for what isn't on screen. It just means that what is on screen is more enjoyable because it isn't filled with wasted time that many viewers don't need.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #97
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sromkie View Post
How on earth would a car dealership survive if there were only a handful of people in the town?
They pull customers from other, nearby towns.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #98
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I just disagree with playing the "if it didn't happen on screen it didn't happen" card so quickly.
Especially since everything people are complaining about has been shown on screen. We've seen people digging; we've seen people trying to communicate with the outside; we've seen people exploring the boundary; etc. We can argue about how much of it has been shown; obviously, the balance between showing multiple examples of certain behaviors and getting on with the story isn't satisfying some people. But they have shown it.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #99
cheesesteak
Meh.

Maybe we'd be happier if they'd scrap the Crazy Jr. subplot that everybody hates and devote that time to more proof that the townspeople aren't dopes.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #100
TonyD79

Quote:

I think the town is bigger than you're proposing. It's not huge, of course, but they are big enough to have their own hospital and a car dealership.
Have you ever been in lower populated areas? They still need car dealerships. Drive through farm areas where you might have 200 houses in a 10 mile radius. You can still find a car dealership in there somewhere. Or do you think they buy cars in the "big city?"

Look at the actual town they are showing. It is small. Look at the establishing shots. Look at it all.

Unnecessary exposition? Like that the dome is complete? That is unnecessary? The show is about the dome. And we are watching the city council, the entire police force, the entire media (print and radio) and the spiritual leader as well as the only bar in town. And yet somehow all the real work is being done by others?

Okay. There is suspension if disbelief then there is just nonsense.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #101
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Especially since everything people are complaining about has been shown on screen. We've seen people digging; we've seen people trying to communicate with the outside; we've seen people exploring the boundary; etc. We can argue about how much of it has been shown; obviously, the balance between showing multiple examples of certain behaviors and getting on with the story isn't satisfying some people. But they have shown it.
Ha. We've seen people digging? Not really. We saw a throw away line then we saw a guy who was going to really try and he was stopped.

The problem here with the writing is that they don't have good reasoning. They just have this cool dome-thing without any deep explanation so they shortcut anything reasonable like a real attempt to get out.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #102
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Yeah. Cause a single sentence that said "we've been around the whole thing and there is no gap" would take so much time. Meanwhile, the presenters are telling us that the townsfolk are IDIOTS.

That viewers are talking about it shows that it is necessary to put some realism into the show.

Normal people would ask and question. Not these idiots. They just go to bed and ask if it is gone in the morning. How foolish would they be if it turns out it only faces one direction?

IN the first episode the Police were all over the area. They knew it encompassed the town. No need to actually get out and measure it. You could see how far it went by driving around. This was taken care of in the first show. Then they had this kid actually mapping it, which for most people would not be needed. Most people would just need to know it encloses the entire town, they would not be going around trying to look at the edges.

I know I would not want to go anywhere near the dome. Especially after Lawnmower Man died when his pacemaker blew. Who knows what damage the Dome could cause to you. I would be keeping my distance and not go anywhere near it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #103
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Ha. We've seen people digging? Not really. We saw a throw away line then we saw a guy who was going to really try and he was stopped.
That was the guy with the earth-mover. We also saw people with shovels digging, and saying they couldn't get below the Dome. So that's two instances of showing people digging (or trying to). It becomes a question of how much screen time do they have to spend showing people digging. And if viewers aren't going to pay enough attention to notice they're doing it, then I guess they'll just have to have a Very Special Digging episode, which will have to be the first episode, which will also have to be the Very Special Walking the Dome episode, and the Very Special Communicating with the Outside episode, and the....

Again: Everything you're complaining about, they've done. And if they did more of it so it would all sink in, then they wouldn't be able to have any actual story. On the first full day of the Dome being up.

I like to whine about shows as much as the next guy, but sometimes even I think people have ridiculously unrealistic expectations as to what a show can accomplish.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #104
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Have you ever been in lower populated areas? They still need car dealerships. Drive through farm areas where you might have 200 houses in a 10 mile radius. You can still find a car dealership in there somewhere. Or do you think they buy cars in the "big city?"
Been to? How about lived in. I even said so in my post earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sromkie
I've lived in a small town where they only had one fire truck and a volunteer fire department and it was still big enough to where not everyone knew each other.
Quote:
Look at the actual town they are showing. It is small. Look at the establishing shots. Look at it all.
Again, I'm not saying that it's not a small town. I'm saying that it's not so super small that everyone can be expected to know everyone and they are all sharing information freely like neighbors. The town I lived in was so small that we only had one fire truck and the station was run by volunteers. We didn't have a single car dealership unless you drove at least two towns away. We also didn't have a hospital unless you drove two towns away. There were only four restaurants in the whole town—no fast food at all.

Even so, we had enough people to where I couldn't tell you a significant percentage of their names. I likely wouldn't even be able to say if many of them lived in the town if you showed me their picture. So, if a town has a car dealership, a hospital, and multiple fire trucks, I imagine it's a least a bit larger than my previous home. That would mean it's also probable that there are people out there doing things they aren't sharing with the main cast we are watching because they don't know them so well (or assume they wold already know or have someone working on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl
They pull customers from other, nearby towns.
Well, sure. I acknowledge that. But that only works to a certain degree. There has to be enough population within their sales area to support it, and it makes most sense that it would be put in a location within their sales area that had the highest population. And if they are the larger of two or three towns in the area, then they aren't THAT super tiny. This reasoning doesn't have to be true, of course. Big Jim lives in the town, so maybe he just wanted the dealership closer to home and was willing to take the slight hit on sales that a non-prime location potentially bring. But, really, I'm just using the dealership as one example that the population of the town is probably large enough to support the writers' decision to not have them all telling each other everything (and large enough to postulate that more than one person is trying something, or trying to figure something out, even if we don't see multiple on the screen).

Quote:
Unnecessary exposition? Like that the dome is complete? That is unnecessary? The show is about the dome.
It's been established that the dome is complete. Not just by the kid, either. Barbie and the reporter were walking the edge of it as well. We also had the cops tell the participants in the little meeting in the first episode about how many people were killed in accidents involving the dome (which would indicate that the cops, at some point, traveled to those locations). They know all roads were affected.

Quote:
And we are watching the city council, the entire police force, the entire media (print and radio) and the spiritual leader as well as the only bar in town. And yet somehow all the real work is being done by others?
If by real work you're not including going out to the dome to check it out, responding to emergencies such as accidents and injuries, responding to and helping to put out fires, putting together and hosting meetings for the town, walking the edge of the dome to see how far it goes, attempting to gain access to external communications, and warning people on the roads to stop driving until they know the affected areas, then yeah, I guess they aren't doing any of the real work. It's been about two days in dome time and, to me, that sounds like a pretty significant list of real work they are doing. Maybe they think putting out the immediate danger of a fire is more important than doing trig. It's likely that most of the adults we've seen on screen couldn't even do the measurements and calculations without digging out some old books and relearning some trig.

Quote:
Okay. There is suspension if disbelief then there is just nonsense.
It's not suspension of disbelief to accept that some things happen that we don't see (or even hear about). It's a totally different concept. Suspension of disbelief goes into affect when something like a magical or extraterrestrial dome traps an entire town. Rather than saying, "Well, golly-gee, that's not possible. I'm out!" we can suspend our disbelief for the enjoyment of the show and its story.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #105
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
That was the guy with the earth-mover. We also saw people with shovels digging, and saying they couldn't get below the Dome. So that's two instances of showing people digging (or trying to). It becomes a question of how much screen time do they have to spend showing people digging. And if viewers aren't going to pay enough attention to notice they're doing it, then I guess they'll just have to have a Very Special Digging episode, which will have to be the first episode, which will also have to be the Very Special Walking the Dome episode, and the Very Special Communicating with the Outside episode, and the....

Again: Everything you're complaining about, they've done. And if they did more of it so it would all sink in, then they wouldn't be able to have any actual story. On the first full day of the Dome being up.

I like to whine about shows as much as the next guy, but sometimes even I think people have ridiculously unrealistic expectations as to what a show can accomplish.
So much more succinct than me

Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #106
aaronwt
HD Addict

Didn't they mention in the first episode something about the town having a population of 5K?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #107
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Didn't they mention in the first episode something about the town having a population of 5K?
Until it's determined otherwise, I've been picturing Chester's Mill as being similar to Carmi, Illinois, population 5,422 (because I've been to Carmi on several occasions -- it's the hometown of a friend of mine).

In a town like Carmi, everyone would know all the "major players" -- i.e., the Big Jim equivalent, and all the cops -- but everyone wouldn't know everyone.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #108
PotentiallyCoherent

I suggest that every episode open with an all inclusive town meeting where the population spills their guts about what they did, and what they learned. This should only take a couple of hours out of the hour timeslot...
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #109
Mikeyis4dcats

woman cop to other cop holding a pump shotgun - "Put down that rifle!'

facepalm.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #110
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Doesn't all the towns in King's novels have that kind of population....or even smaller sometimes.

I came into it late and missed the first episode. I have read the book. Second episode didn't impress me much and I don't know how long I will hold on.

I agree, Barbie in the book is different and as such invoked a different feeling about his character and role. I don't have any real connection to anyone there, except maybe the smart teenager (that seems to be found in a lot of his books about small towns and odd things).

betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #111
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
....Did Barbie sleep in the nude at reporter woman's house?....
Wait....WHAT?!....where did THAT come from?

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #112
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I think I sprained my eyes from rolling them so much. Fun show, but the stupid abounds.
Mine actually fell out of their sockets...

This ep was so full of cliches. I thought it was a big step DOWN from the first ep. Hope it gets better...

XL4
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #113
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I'm sorry, sometimes I just don't know what I'm saying. It's embarrassing.

I'll go take my meds now...
Obviously, they're WAY overdue...

XL4
Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #114
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
I was initially confused as to why he'd kick the trash can toward the curtains, then realized that it was just a very poorly acted accidental kick. Then I had to roll my eyes back and sigh as everything went up in flames so unrealistically.
I don't think it was "so unrealistically" - from http://www.ready.gov/fires:

Quote:
Fire spreads quickly; there is no time to gather valuables or make a phone call. In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
There's so many things that are unrealistic...but this wasn't one of them.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #115
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I just read an article in TV Guide about Under The Dome. They were talking with Exec producer Neal Baer. He said that Chester's Mill has 2,000 people that live in it.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #116
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

That sounds about right. I grew up in a town about that size. We had a sheriffs department, hospital, car lot, lots of wooded areas, a fire department, a Main Street area, etc. You definitely didn't know everyone but you'd know the main bigwigs.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #117
andyw715

The storyline we are seeing is exactly what would happen if Burgaw NC was surrounded by a dome. Idiocies and all.

Just so happens much of it was filmed in Burgaw
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #118
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
The storyline we are seeing is exactly what would happen if Burgaw NC was surrounded by a dome. Idiocies and all.

Just so happens much of it was filmed in Burgaw
Maybe it's a reality show? They dropped an actual dome over Burgaw and just filmed what happened?

(Actually, I suspect your average season of Survivor is more carefully written...)
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #119
stellie93

LOL--Rob cracked me up yet again.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #120
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Just a small book thing not in show

In the book, the cell phones worked. But the government shut them off. Sometimes, someone OTD, like govt official would call someone inside, like big Jim to discuss what their next plan was

Also, Big Jim's son was heavily into doctor prescribed drugs for seizures due to his brain problems. They make him nicer in this show.

I think the show is paraphrasing the book. Although I know filming is different than describing, I would have assumed the book and show basic premise would be closer.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote