TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
cassiusdrow

New S3 software 11.0m

Just noticed my OLED Series 3 has a new software version 11.0m-01-2-648. Anyone else have it or know what was changed?

EDIT: Tivo has updated their version numbers here: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/311
S2 240, 500GB
All Lifetime
Cable:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NAS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cassiusdrow : 09-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
cassiusdrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

What was the previous version number?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
cassiusdrow

Previous was 11.0k-01-2-648.
S2 240, 500GB
All Lifetime
Cable:

NAS:
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
jmbach

Still 11.0k here
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiusdrow View Post
Just noticed my OLED Series 3 has a new software version 11.0m-01-2-648. Anyone else have it or know what was changed?
What makes sense about this is that TiVo tends to skip letters that people may confuse with others. I wouldn't expect an 11.0l version. I WOULD expect an 11.0m version.

I REALLY hope this is for real, and that it will also roll to HD units, not just S3 OLED ones...

They left a lot of NEW issues (with my HD units) in the wake of their rush to roll out the second to last version to fix the grey/black screen issue, and left them unresolved in the last version, which added support for 1TB external expansion drives...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
ggieseke

My guess would be that they fixed the TTG cookie bug.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
My thoughts exactly. Anyone expecting anything else to be fixed are likely out of luck.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Anyone expecting anything else to be fixed are likely out of luck.
I am painfully aware of that... Thanks so much for grinding it in.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Wow! I never thought this would happen again.

There are so many things, little things that were already fixed in the Premiere line, that I wish they would clean up for the S3... If they're willing to put out any new version for the S3, that gives me hope.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Wow! I never thought this would happen again.

There are so many things, little things that were already fixed in the Premiere line, that I wish they would clean up for the S3... If they're willing to put out any new version for the S3, that gives me hope.
IMHO, the ONLY way TiVo would release any update beyond 11.0k, which is only used on end-of-life S3/HD platforms, would be out of necessity. Perhaps they are about to make a change to the Premiere lines which exist, and or there is something in the upcoming products that would break the already limited interoperability between platforms. Maybe WD is going to release a DVR expander of greater capacity in the near future. Who knows... We'll just have to wait and see.

One can always hope... But, especially with TiVo, I've found that hope (or any expectations) tends to leave you feeling let-down.

Sometimes TiVo does surprise me. I honestly never expected that they could polish the turd, known as the Premiere (original, first model), to what it is today. Anybody who bought one upon release, knows what I'm talking about, except aaronwt, who "never has any issues with (insert any issue that anybody else reports)".

Ok, sometimes he will say he's observed an issue, but "it's only a minor one".
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Teeps

Quote:
????? what's that about?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

FWIW (probably nothing) the official Tivo web page on software versions says the latest version for Series 3 is 11.0k
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...ersions#Latest
If there actually is an update to 11.0m, I'm sure this page will be updated "real soon now".

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
bshrock

M-Card
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
cassiusdrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
M-Card
I wish.
S2 240, 500GB
All Lifetime
Cable:

NAS:
Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
????? what's that about?
The TiVo's internal web server was sending out cookies with a fixed expiration date that passed earlier this year. This date had been hardwired into the TiVo software since 2005 or so. The cookie was supposed to be sent back before you could pull a recording off the TiVo via TTG. But since the cookies were pre-expired, all transfers were failing.

It was discovered that the TiVo didn't really care about the contents of the cookie you sent it, only that it was there. So, we came up with simple workarounds for KMTTG, pyTivo, etc. -- and even for TiVo Desktop, a user-written patch that TiVo Inc. eventually adopted themselves.

But, the bug was still there, affecting unpatched software (and notably, the HTML interface for standard browsers). Finally, it was fixed on the Premiere side, with 20.3.1. It seems likely that this new version for the Series 3 also addresses the bug, though I don't know yet.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
ggieseke

When TiVo promised to fix the cookie bug on every platform including the Series 2s I was surprised, but pleased that they stepped up. I doubt that they're addressing anything else on the older platforms.

When they made that promise I posted in the private TiVo "All-Stars" forum that I would buy them a pony if they added some stuff to the older models like folder play/delete or the Crestron remote interface, but they already have a TiVoPony and weren't impressed.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
cassiusdrow

Is there any way I can test the TTG bug? I don't have or use the TiVo desktop software. I do use pyTiVo and kmttg.
S2 240, 500GB
All Lifetime
Cable:

NAS:
Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
HomeUser

Quote:
Is there any way I can test the TTG bug? I don't have or use the TiVo desktop software. I do use pyTiVo and kmttg.
Try using the TiVo's built in web interface. https://Your_tivos_ipaddress/nowplaying/index.html and try to download a recording. If you can it is fixed if you get an error something like "session id missing" it is not.

User name: tivo
Password: The DVR's MAK value

Last edited by HomeUser : 07-07-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Log-in info
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
cassiusdrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Try using the TiVo's built in web interface. https://Your_tivos_ipaddress/nowplaying/index.html and try to download a recording. If you can it is fixed if you get an error something like "session id missing" it is not.
I was able to download a show using the S3's built-in web server wiithout any errors. I tried to do the same using my S2 Pioneer DVR-810H TiVo and got the "Bad Request session id missing" page (just trying to see the error for myself).
S2 240, 500GB
All Lifetime
Cable:

NAS:
Old 07-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
+1

I wouldn't expect any other fixes.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
HomeUser

Quote:
I was able to download a show using the S3's built-in web server wiithout any errors. I tried to do the same using my S2 Pioneer DVR-810H TiVo and got the "Bad Request session id missing" page (just trying to see the error for myself).
Good then it is fixed with 11.0m.
I just tried on my OLED S3 still with 11.0k and it failed with the "Bad Request session id missing" message same with the 240 S2 and 652 TiVo HD
Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
MPSAN

I never tried https://Your_tivos_ipaddress/nowplaying/index before. Looks good, but I am not sure how much it does.

Last edited by MPSAN : 07-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The TiVo's internal web server was sending out cookies with a fixed expiration date that passed earlier this year. This date had been hardwired into the TiVo software since 2005 or so. The cookie was supposed to be sent back before you could pull a recording off the TiVo via TTG. But since the cookies were pre-expired, all transfers were failing.

It was discovered that the TiVo didn't really care about the contents of the cookie you sent it, only that it was there. So, we came up with simple workarounds for KMTTG, pyTivo, etc. -- and even for TiVo Desktop, a user-written patch that TiVo Inc. eventually adopted themselves.

But, the bug was still there, affecting unpatched software (and notably, the HTML interface for standard browsers). Finally, it was fixed on the Premiere side, with 20.3.1. It seems likely that this new version for the Series 3 also addresses the bug, though I don't know yet.
Thanks wmcbrine, I would have never known that.

My S3 648250 (Oled) is still on 11.0k as of today 8July13.
Make that 1 Aug 13

Still on 11.0k 5 Sept 2013

Last edited by Teeps : 09-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
My S3 648250 (Oled) is still on 11.0k as of today 8July13.
No sign of it on any of my TiVo HD units, either.

I'm not seeing anybody saying "I got the 11.0m update!", except for the O.P. I'm not saying it's not true.

I'm sure it's a low-priority, slow rollout. I'm in no hurry, if a cookie is all it encompasses.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

It's been so long since they did a tivohd update, I bet they sent it to a few dozen people to see if they break the systems.

I bet all the tivo hackers are quakeing in their boots. An update will kill their
hacked TIVO capabilities and I bet MOST will not remember how to re-hack the systems since it has been so long!!!
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #26
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

11.0k was released in March 2011, so it hasn't been that long...
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
SullyND
W: 30-14

I wonder how many drives will go bad due to the update... (It's somewhat common due to the way the drives are structured to expose a bad drive via upgrade, isn't it?)
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
I wonder how many drives will go bad due to the update... (It's somewhat common due to the way the drives are structured to expose a bad drive via upgrade, isn't it?)
Yep. That's why I do a KickStart 52 "emergency software reinstall" every three to six months, minimum. It keeps my software bouncing between partitions, and seems to improve performance, probably by decreasing fragmentation. At minimum, it keeps the wear on the drive platters more even. Due to it basically forcing a software update (that really isn't an update), the TiVo does a LOT of file system checks, like a regular update, just looking for anything that may be wrong, in order to prevent TiVos from bricking, as real software updates are installed.

For the worrisome folks, I'd recommend running the full battery of Kickstart 54 SMART tests, when they know an update it coming, or before they institute my Ping-Pong KS52 game. That *should* cover all the bases. If it doesn't, the drive was doomed, anyway.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Updates don't make drives go bad, they just make drives that are already going bad (spontaneous reboots, macro blocking, etc) more likely to simply fail to boot up.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #30
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

Yep. That's why I do a KickStart 52 "emergency software reinstall" every three to six months, minimum. It keeps my software bouncing between partitions, and seems to improve performance, probably by decreasing fragmentation. At minimum, it keeps the wear on the drive platters more even. Due to it basically forcing a software update (that really isn't an update), the TiVo does a LOT of file system checks, like a regular update, just looking for anything that may be wrong, in order to prevent TiVos from bricking, as real software updates are installed.

For the worrisome folks, I'd recommend running the full battery of Kickstart 54 SMART tests, when they know an update it coming, or before they institute my Ping-Pong KS52 game. That *should* cover all the bases. If it doesn't, the drive was doomed, anyway.
While it won't hurt a good drive, doing a KS52 can make a "bad" drive fail faster. At best, it does nothing, at worse it can trigger a failure, so it's not the best thing to do frequently.

KS54 can't fix a bad drive, it can only tell you of the drive is going bad and it doesn't do a good job at that either. Like most SMART tests it's fairly useless. They are not a good predictor of when a drive is about to fail. Google's drive study found that:
Quote:
36% of the failed drives did not exhibit a single SMART-monitored failure. They concluded that SMART data is almost useless for predicting the failure of a single drive.
Personally I've had an expander drive completely fail on the TiVo, yet TiVo's KS54 said it was working great. Of course the drive still works great on my PC.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote