TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Deadliest Catch - OAD 7/2/2013

No thread yet? Wow! Elliot is a bigger idiot that I ever imagined!! His romantic life completely baffles me. I mean, your true love won't have you back, mainly because you're screwing around with someone else, so you tack and ask the other woman (who is stepping out on you in your own home/bed) to marry you??? Your engagement planning is to invite the woman to meet you at an airport (will she bring her boyfriend?) and also call someone to make a ring for you and meet you at the same time??? Of course all this is predicated on his incompetence not sinking the boat. Fortunately, his crew has a stronger will to live than Elliot and decide on their own to work to save the boat...and Elliot apparently plans to fire them for that indiscretion. Basically, unless this was totally staged and manufactured by Tom Beers, if I were on the camera crew on that boat, once it touched land I'd jump off and refuse to ever get back on board. The job is dangerous enough, but adding gross incompetence puts it over the top. Either Elliot loses the boat to a bank, or he sinks it and kills everyone on board!

Oh, and another wizard "horn" bites the dust.....yawn.....

Last edited by Big Deficit : 07-05-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: keyboard occasionally double strokes and with "lose" it's easy to miss and correct, then I was busted by the grammar police.
Big Deficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Bob Coxner

If he hasn't already killed himself and the crew I would be surprised to see new crew lining up to join the Saga after they've seen episodes like this one and last week (when a wave almost washed the entire crew overboard while Elliott yawned).

Elliott talked about how much an engine overhaul would cost but there was no mention of time. They're in St. Paul, which can't have much in the way of repair facilities, so it would either take a long time there or else they would have to unload pots and limp back to Dutch.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
pmyers

Elliot is something else.

I still hate Keith and do believe Freddy crossed the line. He's never acted this way before.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Elliot is something else.

I still hate Keith and do believe Freddy crossed the line. He's never acted this way before.
I agree Freddie crossed the line. At first I figured the guy was just being a baby but the more they showed the more my mind was changed.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I agree Freddie crossed the line. At first I figured the guy was just being a baby but the more they showed the more my mind was changed.
Yeah..."haze" a Greenhorn all you want but don't threaten or use physical harm (i.e throwing an octopus at a Greenhorn who is standing at the rail who could have been thrown over).

And Keith practically encouraged and escalated the crew to continue.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm becomming convinced that this show is turning into more 'scripted drama' and a whole lot less reality.

They start doing in-episode ads for Subway, and they will have completed their Pawn Stars transformation!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
AlphaDelta

This will probably be the last season of Deadliest Catch for me. Seems the primary prerequisite for crabbers is being a jerk. Eliot's a jerk all around. Sig treats his brother like ****. The Hilstrands work their crew so long they endanger themselves. Bill treats his kid like an idiot, and then gets indignant when the kid responds. Tired of the greenhorn hazing, especially on the Wizard. Dane shouldn't have thrown that punch, but I totally feel where's he's coming from. All because he wouldn't cut his hair? Really folks? Loose the superstition already.

My recording cut out when Keith was throwing Dane's bags on the dock, with Freddie waiting. Did anything happen?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Big Deficit
Happy now?

http://www.clubnorthwestern.com/showthread.php?t=10139

Looks like Saga was for sale and hadn't fished for a very long time (8+ years?). Unless well cared for and put up well, engines usually don't react well to long disuse. That might explain the engine failures (or the engines were crap, which might explain why the boat was for sale for so long). Also saw somewhere that Elliot is the minority owner of Saga, i.e he owns a very small piece. I wonder if he has a bigger piece than the Harris's have of the Cornelia Marie?

Also from the Cornelia Marie wiki-

"On April 25th, 2013 Josh Harris confirmed in an interview on Rock 105.3 "The Show" in San Diego, CA that he has bought the Cornelia Marie."
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
My recording cut out when Keith was throwing Dane's bags on the dock, with Freddie waiting. Did anything happen?
Despite Keith's warning that while he was on the Wizard he was safe since the crew respected him as the captain and once he hits shore all bets are off, nothing was shown to have happened. They just showed Dane walking away shlepping his bag.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
sgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Despite Keith's warning that while he was on the Wizard he was safe since the crew respected him as the captain and once he hits shore all bets are off, nothing was shown to have happened. They just showed Dane walking away shlepping his bag.
Not quite all of the story. Didn't the crew, while on board the Wizard, place an octopus in Dane's luggage? Well hidden as I remember.
sgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
http://www.clubnorthwestern.com/showthread.php?t=10139

Looks like Saga was for sale and hadn't fished for a very long time (8+ years?). Unless well cared for and put up well, engines usually don't react well to long disuse. That might explain the engine failures (or the engines were crap, which might explain why the boat was for sale for so long). Also saw somewhere that Elliot is the minority owner of Saga, i.e he owns a very small piece. I wonder if he has a bigger piece than the Harris's have of the Cornelia Marie?

Also from the Cornelia Marie wiki-

"On April 25th, 2013 Josh Harris confirmed in an interview on Rock 105.3 "The Show" in San Diego, CA that he has bought the Cornelia Marie."
He bought it but he's not fishing on it. He hired a captain. From another website the news is that he's busy on a book tour promoting his and Jake's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Phil-H...ds=josh+harris
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsmith View Post
Not quite all of the story. Didn't the crew, while on board the Wizard, place an octopus in Dane's luggage? Well hidden as I remember.
I thought that happened BEFORE they threw the bags off the boat. If that was actually shown AFTER that, then yes, that is a rather important part of the story.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
baxter316

Preview question

Spoiler:
Did anyone else see the messed up hand!!!!!

baxter316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter316 View Post
Preview question

Spoiler:
Did anyone else see the messed up hand!!!!!
Spoiler:
Yes! I paused it and it was really messed up. I was trying to tell if the sleeve of the other arm in the shot was a medical worker of some kind. That did look like a pretty nasty injury!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
baxter316

Quote:
Spoiler:
Yes! I paused it and it was really messed up. I was trying to tell if the sleeve of the other arm in the shot was a medical worker of some kind. That did look like a pretty nasty injury!
Spoiler:
I told my wife that the person had to loose atleast two or three fingers.

baxter316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsmith View Post
The bag they put it in was clearly black, and the bag they showed him walking off with was clearly blue. Could very well be Thom Beers at work. Considering all the BS that comes along with Storage Wars, I don't doubt he has his grimy fingers in everything. Hey, maybe it was Thom's hand!
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Looks like Saga was for sale and hadn't fished for a very long time (8+ years?). Unless well cared for and put up well, engines usually don't react well to long disuse. That might explain the engine failures (or the engines were crap, which might explain why the boat was for sale for so long).
That would basically mean the Saga was mothballed just after the first season (it was a season 1 boat, back in the derby days). I'm guessing the switch to the quota system meant it was not worth crabbing with.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
I'm becomming convinced that this show is turning into more 'scripted drama' and a whole lot less reality.

They start doing in-episode ads for Subway, and they will have completed their Pawn Stars transformation!
I'm going to call a buddy of mine who can tell us what this load of crab is worth.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #19
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
The bag they put it in was clearly black, and the bag they showed him walking off with was clearly blue. Could very well be Thom Beers at work. Considering all the BS that comes along with Storage Wars, I don't doubt he has his grimy fingers in everything. Hey, maybe it was Thom's hand!
IIRC, he had 2 bags, one blue, one black.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter316 View Post
Spoiler:
I told my wife that the person had to loose atleast two or three fingers.
Spoiler:
Not to pick on just you, but this is the third time in two days on TCF I've seen the word 'loose' (rhymes with noose) used where it should be the word 'lose' (rhymes with booze).

I figured at least two or three, too, unless someone has a ton of money and lots of time to have microsurgery and a ton of rehab. Not likely for the guys who work the crab boats.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
MScottC

Quote:
Spoiler:
Not to pick on just you, but this is the third time in two days on TCF I've seen the word 'loose' (rhymes with noose) used where it should be the word 'lose' (rhymes with booze).

I figured at least two or three, too, unless someone has a ton of money and lots of time to have microsurgery and a ton of rehab. Not likely for the guys who work the crab boats.
Definitely a pet peeve of mine!
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote