Yeah, me too.
I posted over here this afternoon: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...38#post9721738
because I thought it might be related to the problems we had last February.
It was working for me late last night (just before midnight).
I think Playon pushed a significant update through early this morning. I couldn't find anything in the release notes that indicates what they've been messing about with this time: http://www.playon.tv/releasenotes
I've spent almost twelve hours trying to figure out what's not working on this. I wish error messages would go into an "error" log so you'd have some information to work with.
I did notice when I reinstalled Playon that a lot of the sites that they provide as part of the software are requiring a login. Starting to look like they're locking up a lot of stuff.
Good luck. If I find out anything, I'll post here too.