Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #61
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I also didn't even realize that the people on the outside couldn't see in.
They can see in. Didn't barbie hold up a sign to somebody when it first appeared? Something along the lines of "Call the FAA" and the guy on the other side nodded?

I also thought the female deputy and the husband saw each other.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #62
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
They can see in. Didn't barbie hold up a sign to somebody when it first appeared? Something along the lines of "Call the FAA" and the guy on the other side nodded?

I also thought the female deputy and the husband saw each other.
Of course they can see into the dome - it's clear.
Earlier in the thread, in post #15, xuxa had a bad theory and it seems others have gone with it.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #63
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
Her little brother is the kid that was trying to map out the perimeter. Their parent(s) went to some other town for something or other before the dome appeared.
Right, and it's not like she's been missing for multiple days. At most she's 24 hours missing, and her brother has been preoccupied (as has everyone else) with the dome.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #64
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
He looks really different because he didn't play the older brother on Bates Motel; he played Deputy Zack Shelby.
Yeah, I recognized him right away. What's kind of interesting is that the Barbie character is almost like a more mature version of the older brother on Bates Motel. Similar style, look, and attitude.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #65
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Right, and it's not like she's been missing for multiple days. At most she's 24 hours missing, and her brother has been preoccupied (as has everyone else) with the dome.
I'd need a memory refresh. Did anyone other than Jr see her inside the dome after it came down? I'm sure they are assuming people they are not seeing are outside.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #66
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I'd need a memory refresh. Did anyone other than Jr see her inside the dome after it came down? I'm sure they are assuming people they are not seeing are outside.
Yes. If my memory is correct she met up with her brother at the house. That was when we learned their mom was outside the dome.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #67
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Yes, she and her brother quickly ran into each other at their house after the dome came down. Plus she shared a smoke with Barbie outside the hospital, and presumably other people saw her while she was volunteering there.

But the main thing is she's only been "missing" overnight at this point. Each ep is roughly a day (more or less), and the first ep covered a short period of the day before the dome came down, so there's only been one night since the dome went down. Her brother is preoccupied with his own investigation into the dome, Barbie doesn't even know her, and it would normally take an employer a couple of days before they would get concerned.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #68
xuxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Of course they can see into the dome - it's clear.
Earlier in the thread, in post #15, xuxa had a bad theory and it seems others have gone with it.
Not so much a bad theory, just an example of how poor the writing and this adaptation is done
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #69
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa View Post
Not so much a bad theory, just an example of how poor the writing and this adaptation is done
I disagree, your leap to "they can't see in to it" came from way out in left field and went against what we'd seen in episode 1, it's not their fault you made that leap.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #70
Hercules67
TiVo addict

RULES OF THE DOME:

(this is semi-spoilery) so click on the Link at your own peril:

Stephen King's Letter to Fans and Rules of the Dome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #71
Ruth
Now with toddler

The whole thing about the guys outside ignoring the people inside makes no sense at all to me.

Suppose the guys on the outside are normal people with good intentions who have no idea what happened or why. Presumably they could hold up notes/an iPad and exchange vital information. Wouldn't they have a ton of questions? For starters, how many people are in there? Are you feeling OK? Is anything else weird going on in there? Is anyone sick or injured and needs to talk to a doctor? If they are trying to figure out what the dome is/how it works, wouldn't input from the people inside be useful? Like they could say "we are going to spray the outside with water; please tell us if it comes through to you" and they would gain a lot more information about their experiment.

Even if the guys on the outside are bad guys, you'd think they'd want some information on what is happening inside. And if they are somehow responsible for the dome, you'd think they'd want information about how the experiment is working from the inside.

I just don't see any reason they would just completely ignore the people inside. (Maybe it makes sense in the book or in spoilers, but I haven't read any of that and am just going on what's in the show.)
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #72
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
<sinp>...and it would normally take an employer a couple of days before they would get concerned.
And, of course, in this situation, it's likely that her employer wouldn't necessarily be concerned. It's probable that a lot of people would stop showing up for work in a situation like this—especially someone so young.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #73
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
The whole thing about the guys outside ignoring the people inside makes no sense at all to me.
. . .
Yes, I agree 100%!!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #74
stellie93

Barbie made a comment that they were serious military guys who had probably been ordered to ignore the people inside, and they would follow those orders to the letter. Sort of like the guards at Buckingham Palace who are not allowed to talk to anyone. I assume after they've done some initial testing they will come to the wall and hold up signs and communicate. It hasn't been very long yet. They are probably wondering if some crazy bad guy inside is running some kind of a dangerous experiment or something, just like the girl thought the people outside had created the dome.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #75
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Bear in mind that it's only been a day, and we've seen very little of what the people inside and outside the dome have been up to. They probably just haven't shown endless scenes of people inside jumping up and down waving their arms, and soldiers on the outside being ordered to ignore them. But last week we did see a few attempts at contact.

As with the complaints in last week's thread that in the first hours of the dome being up we didn't see anybody digging & now in the second ep we see people digging, I suspect we'll see more attempts at interaction, probably quite soon. I also suspect at some point we'll start seeing things from the outside perspective as well, and then we'll get more information about what they've been up to.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #76
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
For those that were concerned, they did show that the dome goes down as well, but it does seem silly that the teenagers were the only ones they showed attempting to dig under it.
Near the beginning there was what looked like a work crew doing digging.

Quote:
I was pretty underwhelmed by this ep. I liked the premiere, but this one was meh.

Oh well, I'll probably keep watching. Not like there is anything else on.
I agree with all this. Ep2 was a big step down from the pilot. But I checked my TiVo To Do list last night and between then and Saturday night there are only two shows (plus news) being recorded... so this one stays.

Quote:
Yes, she and her brother quickly ran into each other at their house after the dome came down. Plus she shared a smoke with Barbie outside the hospital, and presumably other people saw her while she was volunteering there.

But the main thing is she's only been "missing" overnight at this point. Each ep is roughly a day (more or less), and the first ep covered a short period of the day before the dome came down, so there's only been one night since the dome went down. Her brother is preoccupied with his own investigation into the dome,
Not only that, but he passed out the night before at the dome and woke up on the porch of some other house at the beginning of this episode, helped there by his friend, so it's likely he's not even been home, except maybe to change before taking off to do some trig, and he has no idea his sister never came home the night before.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #77
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Its OK, and I'll still keep watching it but the one plot line that I think is terrible is the one with crazy Jr and the girl. The problem with this plot line is that IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DOME!
That's the point. I agree the character is annoying, but in a disaster/situation like this, not everything is going to relate directly to the crisis at hand. For many people, they'll still have the same problems/thoughts/etc that they had before the crisis (i.e. Dome) or that they would have had regardless. People might even have affairs inside the Dome that have nothing to do with the Dome itself, but there still may be consequences and it may effect others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Anybody else roll their eyes when Barbie told hot redhead that he found his dog tags right where he left them on the bathroom mirror (or wherever he said). He had the whole town and the woods to choose from but that brainiac picked the one place she would have noticed.
Well, clearly that choice was made so that the audience would know that the redhead was on to him (knows he's lying, but not sure why). If he would have just said "I found them in the woods", she'd be oblivious and as an audience, the writers felt it was important that we know she knows something. Happens all the time in TV and Movies.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #78
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Yes, she and her brother quickly ran into each other at their house after the dome came down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

Not only that, but he passed out the night before at the dome and woke up on the porch of some other house at the beginning of this episode, helped there by his friend, so it's likely he's not even been home, except maybe to change before taking off to do some trig, and he has no idea his sister never came home the night before.
Angie does not live with her brother and parents. When they met up and Joe asked her about the parents, she said "You're the one that lives here." and when Junior kidnapped her, she was probably at her place because it definitely wasn't the same place where she had talked to Joe.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #79
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Bear in mind that it's only been a day, and we've seen very little of what the people inside and outside the dome have been up to. They probably just haven't shown endless scenes of people inside jumping up and down waving their arms, and soldiers on the outside being ordered to ignore them. But last week we did see a few attempts at contact.

As with the complaints in last week's thread that in the first hours of the dome being up we didn't see anybody digging & now in the second ep we see people digging, I suspect we'll see more attempts at interaction, probably quite soon. I also suspect at some point we'll start seeing things from the outside perspective as well, and then we'll get more information about what they've been up to.
So, you're saying that we shouldn't know every single thing yet. You're honestly suggesting that they let the story unfold over a period of episodes?

Crazy talk!!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #80
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
So, you're saying that we shouldn't know every single thing yet. You're honestly suggesting that they let the story unfold over a period of episodes?

Crazy talk!!
I'm sorry, sometimes I just don't know what I'm saying. It's embarrassing.

I'll go take my meds now...
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #81
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post

Crazy talk!!
We wouldn't know everything but we are living an hour at a time and have more questions, ideas than the people who are in this do in the equivalent day.

Why would it take two (going on three) days for anyone to figure out how big the thing is and why would it be some kid doing it? Why assume it is enclosed? Why not see if it ends somewhere? Just accept that it is a complete dome and not a partial shield? Why?

The people in that town are fools. Normal people try to figure out the extent of the "damage" from day one.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #82
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I'm kinda surprised they killed off the high sheriff already. He was one of the few "names" in the cast.

If they keep dropping citizens at this rate, by the time the series ends, the whole town will be dead.

I haven't read the book, but I'm guessing the dome is supplied by aliens and not Satan or North Korea.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #83
LlamaLarry

The soldiers and scientists outside ignoring the people inside it just truly confusing. It's not like the soldiers appear to be doing/guarding anything. At the end of E1 when Duke's battery exploded no one outside seemed to notice that 2 of the 4 cops in town were even there and that one dropped dead. They showed boot literally running in circles and back and forth the screen but never looking in.

The soldiers that the redhead was trying to get to look at her were not looking at anything really, just chilling and talking to each other. Where the heck did all the journalists from Day 0 go? There does not appear to be soldiers everywhere along the 31.4ish mile circumference and there is not a single reporter trying to communicate with someone inside the dome?

Why would Barbie take dead husband's empty gun? I guess so redhead can say "Hey, that sure looks a lot like the heater my husband carried when he played illegal high stakes poker".

Barbie's dog tag look deformed like perhaps it had deflected a bullet at some point and IIRC it also appeared he only had one. As someone that wore ID tags you'd notice they were got pretty quickly and it wouldn't take looking at your chest.

It appeared that the Rev was TRYING to set the place on fire while at the same time acting like he was totally surprised that tossing his burning evidence into a trash can and kicking at the drapes would result in Duke's apparently gas soaked home going up in flames.

Speaking of Duke, I am bummed he is dead (but sometimes they come back).

I do have to say that the radio station DJ and engineer have to be the least helpful characters in the show. They have the ONLY way to communicate with pretty much the entire town but keep spinning tunes and not telling anyone what they know. Engineer girl busts out her DirecTV LNB and when she's bored fiddles with the dials and tries to catch some outside news. If that was the only way to get an idea of what is going on she should be doing it non stop, like it's her job.

I would also expect them to try to use the radio station to see if the outside world can hear them or any other radio band they can get their hands on a transmitter for. Why would they just assume the signals only go in?

Hothead rogue cop was so over the top that I kind of wish that he had been hit in the unlikely ricochet instead of Nice Guy Cop. I guess the hothead will end up in the pokey and leave only the lady cop. If I were hothead cop I would be pretty concerned as they seem to off one law keeper an episode.

As others have mentioned, no power rationing and apparently no rationing of any kind. I kind of get that it is only Day 1, but even I don't turn on every single light and powered device and leave them on when I am on a generator.

I know it sounds like I hate the show, but I actually do enjoy it I just have a hard time with the way the characters are working. They all seem pretty damned calm about being inside a dome and don't seem to be acting like they are really itching to get out or prepare to be in for any duration.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #84
cheesesteak
Meh.

The soldiers and scientists outside the dome ignoring the people inside the dome is pretty stupid. Since nobody knows anything about the dome, even silly questions like "How's the weather in there?" adds to the knowledge base. I'm willing to accepts a huge, clear dome suddenly dropping around a town but they don't have to be idiots about it.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #85
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Why would it take two (going on three) days for anyone to figure out how big the thing is and why would it be some kid doing it?
Just because we didn't see anyone else trying to figure out the size of the "dome" doesn't mean that no one else was working on it or hadn't already done it. We're just watching a small group of individuals from an entire town of people. The stories of those we are watching were deemed important or interesting by the writers, but that doesn't mean no one else exists or that everyone not on screen is just on pause until the camera is on them.

Yes, you'd think that multiple people would have been trying to determine how big it is, and it's likely that there were. As for why they haven't shared the information with anyone we see on camera—who knows? It does seem silly considering a town councilman, a religious leader, and the police are all characters we are observing. One would think that anyone with information would be running straight to one of them and we'd hear about it, but then look at the radio people... they had information and an EASY way to share it, but they didn't.

Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #86
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sromkie View Post

Just because we didn't see anyone else trying to figure out the size of the "dome" doesn't mean that no one else was working on it or hadn't already done it. We're just watching a small group of individuals from an entire town of people. The stories of those we are watching were deemed important or interesting by the writers, but that doesn't mean no one else exists or that everyone not on screen is just on pause until the camera is on them.

Yes, you'd think that multiple people would have been trying to determine how big it is, and it's likely that there were. As for why they haven't shared the information with anyone we see on camera—who knows? It does seem silly considering a town councilman, a religious leader, and the police are all characters we are observing. One would think that anyone with information would be running straight to one of them and we'd hear about it, but then look at the radio people... they had information and an EASY way to share it, but they didn't.
An entire town? This is a very, very small town and we are watching the leaders.

Don't try to rationalize the stupidity. The only explanation would be that the dome is releasing a gas that is impairing everyone dumb.

I find the show entertaining but it is bad science fiction. It is bad fiction. It is bad psychology. Other than a diversion for an hour a week, it is nothing. It is not the Twilight Zone. It is not a human study as no one acts as humans do. It is just bad. But as I sad before, fun to watch.

Then in to pick apart for its stupidity. Heck, at least it beats the Kardashians.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #87
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
If they keep dropping citizens at this rate, by the time the series ends, the whole town will be dead.
Like this would be a bad thing? The phrase "cleaning the gene pool" comes to mind.

Quote:
Don't try to rationalize the stupidity. The only explanation would be that the dome is releasing a gas that is impairing everyone dumb.
Spoilers!

Quote:
I find the show entertaining but it is bad science fiction. It is bad fiction. It is bad psychology. Other than a diversion for an hour a week, it is nothing. It is not the Twilight Zone. It is not a human study as no one acts as humans do. It is just bad. But as I sad before, fun to watch.
QFT. If it was fall, with 30 shows a week recording, the SP wouldn't have survived the 2nd ep. But with my TiVo ready to file unemployment for lack of work, I'll keep watching.

I still have standards however. Crossing Lines was whacked after eps 2.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #88
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
The soldiers and scientists outside ignoring the people inside it just truly confusing.
Just as many are bewildered by the lack of communication from the outside world, I don't see any problem with it. The military isn't exactly known for being all about full disclosure.

Quote:
TWhere the heck did all the journalists from Day 0 go? There does not appear to be soldiers everywhere along the 31.4ish mile circumference and there is not a single reporter trying to communicate with someone inside the dome?
Do you really expect the military/govt. to allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry access to this dome of unknown origin and purpose?

Quote:
Why would Barbie take dead husband's empty gun? I guess so redhead can say "Hey, that sure looks a lot like the heater my husband carried when he played illegal high stakes poker".
Why would he leave it there? It was a crime scene and that gun could place the missing victim at the scene.

Quote:
It appeared that the Rev was TRYING to set the place on fire while at the same time acting like he was totally surprised that tossing his burning evidence into a trash can and kicking at the drapes would result in Duke's apparently gas soaked home going up in flames.
I was initially confused as to why he'd kick the trash can toward the curtains, then realized that it was just a very poorly acted accidental kick. Then I had to roll my eyes back and sigh as everything went up in flames so unrealistically.

Quote:
I do have to say that the radio station DJ and engineer have to be the least helpful characters in the show. They have the ONLY way to communicate with pretty much the entire town but keep spinning tunes and not telling anyone what they know.
What good would it do to tell everyone anything at all? It's not as if they are getting tips on how to survive when a dome drops on your town. Things they have heard could just cause widespread panic. If it were me, I may just hoard the information I was getting.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #89
stellie93

Quote:
Why would it take two (going on three) days for anyone to figure out how big the thing is and why would it be some kid doing it? .
If you've ever read any Stephen King, you know that the smartest most together person in town is always a boy about that age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post

Speaking of Duke, I am bummed he is dead (but sometimes they come back).
I like this. Maybe they will discover that anyone who dies under the dome comes back to life. Hopefully not as a zombie.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #90
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Why would it take two (going on three) days for anyone to figure out how big the thing is and why would it be some kid doing it? Why assume it is enclosed? Why not see if it ends somewhere? Just accept that it is a complete dome and not a partial shield? Why?

The people in that town are fools. Normal people try to figure out the extent of the "damage" from day one.
I would assume that people from the various parts of town are saying where the dome wall is and the locals would be able to get a good idea of the size from that. Any actual measurements are not necessary or even useful. If it's not furthering the story,why waste time on it? The 20 seconds they spent showing Joe figure out the diameter was wasted time.