TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #31
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That reminds me of perhaps the biggest historical inaccuracy of the book and series, which he hints at...when he was writing the book, he clearly didn't have a clue what a cathedral is.
I cringe every time you say "historical inaccuracy" since it is a fictional story just borrowing pieces of history for inspiration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #32
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I cringe every time you say "historical inaccuracy" since it is a fictional story just borrowing pieces of history for inspiration.
Yeah, but still, when an entire 900-page novel/8-hour miniseries is about building a cathedral, maybe they should, y'know, BUILD A CATHEDRAL.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #33
ahartman
Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, but still, when an entire 900-page novel/8-hour miniseries is about building a cathedral, maybe they should, y'know, BUILD A CATHEDRAL.
I always thought of it more as a story about the corruption surrounding the building of a cathedral (or really establishing anything during that time period) rather than the building of a cathedral itself.
ahartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #34
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartman View Post
I always thought of it more as a story about the corruption surrounding the building of a cathedral (or really establishing anything during that time period) rather than the building of a cathedral itself.
+1
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #35
Jon J
Curmudgeon

I really enjoyed the final two hours. Though I had read the book many years ago I had forgotton how all the variouls intrigues were settled. Hooray for Tom, er Philip and Jack.

The last scene of the aerial shot of the modern day Salisbury Cathedral was impressive. Brought back fond memories since I've got some pictures of the cathedral and particularly the "colored glass" windows that were new in Pillars. It's a fascinating place to visit.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #36
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Although I enjoyed the series a lot. I didn't really like part of the ending. I have a hard time thinking the mob would allow anyone to speak and then hang a different person. Then allow the Bishop to shuffle off? Even though this was somewhat of a soap opera, for some reason that is the only scene that really bothered me.

It was cool to see them aged and the modern day cathedral as it could be.

Overall it was well worth the time!

Last edited by KenDC : 09-08-2010 at 09:08 AM.
KenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
Mr Flippant
Regular User

I felt the ending was very unsatisfying, like a made for tv movie ending. Poorly thought out and executed. Too bad because it was so good up to that point. Anyway, it was probably the best series of the summer. Glad I got to see it.
Mr Flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #38
philw1776

My wife & I loved this series. Well acted. That said, sadly ignorance of history is bliss. As someone continually frustrated by the really bad science in most 'Sci-fi' I can now understand why so many oblivious to science enjoy those shows while I cringe. Oh well.

Just watched the finale after returning home from our DVR less Cape Cod cottage (GFY Comcast). DVRs rock.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #39
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am watching this now thru Netflix. I love the book and will reread it every couple years. I am finding the series to be fun, if not exactly what I expected. I do wish there was less of the court politics and such, but oh well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #40
JohnB1000

Long time thread bump.

I just watched this (Starz on Demand) and really enjoyed it. Some of it was obviously predictable (even the episode descriptions gave major spoilers away) but it did a good job as a GOT methadone.

I've never read the book (and never can after I watch a TV show) but I have now got the World Without End and will go through his newer series later.