TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
scole250

Best Slingbox player/client to connect to TV

I have a Premiere and record in HD. I want to use a Slingbox to access my Premiere over the internet and watch TV/recordings on another TV. What is the best player/client for this? An android phone, tablet, laptop, another Slingbox? I don't really want to tie up my laptop while watching TV (someone else may want to watch TV, but I need the laptop).
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
scole250

Any opinions on the WD TV Live, Netgear NEO TV or Boxee Slingplayer apps? How the UI and remote function?

Last edited by scole250 : 07-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
bhs00

I use the sling player app on my boxee box and use my iphone as a Tivo remote. Theres some delay but everything looks great
bhs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
scole250

WD TV Live Slingplayer app is not up to par in my opinion. Remote operation is horrible. No remote graphic, a long delay on every button operation, no Tivo button (must navigate to MISC menu and select "Custom 16", REALLY, REALLY!). WD TV Live getting returned. Chrome plug-in works great.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Televisionary

Unfortunately, according to the Sling site, the Boxee isn't available any more. There is the "Sony Internet Player with Google TV" too.

I would also be interested in community opinions on a good box for watching TiVo over the internet via a SlingBox. Using a laptop connected to a TV just isn't convenient.

Thanks!
Televisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Minollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
WD TV Live Slingplayer app is not up to par in my opinion. Remote operation is horrible.
I fully agree; it's almost unbelievable they find the remote operation acceptable enough to release it to public...

The alternative I found, which works well for me, is to configure my home router to forward traffic on 31339 to my Tivo, and just use a network remote, like Peanut on iPhone or iPad to control the Tivo. You still have to account for a lag caused by the 2-3 seconds of buffering that Slingbox introduces, but the interface is good and the behavior is predictable and stable.
Minollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
jeremy3721

I finally upraded from my Slingplayer classis to a Slingbox Solo via a woot sale this past week. Hooked it up tonight and everything seems to be working well on my PC or the ipad app along with my directv setup. Ordered a $5 dongle that will allow me to use component cables to connect to my directTV receiver to broadcast HD which think might really make this a great deal for $50. I'm happy just with the composite cable setup I have going now.